Update manager improvement suggestion

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
  • Only post ideas here that are specifically about the Linux Mint distribution or its websites.
  • So that developers and users from any distribution can discuss ideas in one place, post ideas about improving software to the collaboration website for that software instead.
Grim_b
Level 1
Level 1

Update manager improvement suggestion

Post by Grim_b » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:45 am

Hi all,

Been around the Linux world for a couple of decades and while package management has improved and new mirrors popping up all the time :) , I just found myself thinking, while running Update Manager, that it could be better with its use of bandwidth?

If my machine has just created a list of updates and I want the updates, then mirrors should be enabled to make zip files on the fly based on the content of my update requirements?

Yes, the mirror overhead will increase exponential with heavy use but... It should still be developed by someone to speed up the distribution of updates.

I know it's not a question, it's not even actionable but if ideas don't get written, they go to the grave ;)

gm10
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Update manager improvement suggestion

Post by gm10 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:57 am

Grim_b wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:45 am
If my machine has just created a list of updates and I want the updates, then mirrors should be enabled to make zip files on the fly based on the content of my update requirements?
Both the repository indexes and the updates themselves are already stored in a compressed format on the mirror.
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

Grim_b
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Grim_b » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:48 am

I guess the topic is a little wishy-washy but if Mint were able to introduce another layer into update requests from a mirror, then the mirror site can build a compressed temporary file for transmission.

At present, we appear to get individual files. I assume this means additional file start and end transmissions for the transfers of each file but wouldn't it be more efficient to have mint mirrors build a compressed file?

Like I said though, just strikes me odd that mirror owners and Mint haven't spotted that this would make mint more niche and plays well with the software that mint tests to make sure is good for a mirror / inclusion.

If my system needs 16 updates, it downloads 16 updates.
If Mint were to adopt a "dynamic mirroring solution?" It would mean that my system could request updates but the mirror would be responsible for building a compressed file that contained all my system needed (the 16 updates).
My system would download 1 file and it would process it locally to uncompress and install.

Mirrors will already know common packages downloaded, so algorithms could be written to pre-compress popular items and add items as needed to reduce overhead.

New large updates could be pre-compressed to make updates to newer software quicker too.

Who knows? But it seemed an idea id implement if I had multiple mint machines and one local mirror. Especially if my local network was bandwidth challenged (say home network serving multiple teenagers on school holidays) but you want your systems updated :))

gm10
Level 18
Level 18

Post by gm10 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:55 am

Grim_b wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:48 am
At present, we appear to get individual files. I assume this means additional file start and end transmissions for the transfers of each file but wouldn't it be more efficient to have mint mirrors build a compressed file?
No, that would be highly inefficient in virtually all aspects. I can safely say this will never happen. ;)
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

Return to “Suggestions & New Ideas”