Make Power management more "intelligent"

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
  • Only post ideas here that are specifically about the Linux Mint distribution or its websites.
  • So that developers and users from any distribution can discuss ideas in one place, post ideas about improving software to the collaboration website for that software instead.
happysadhu
Level 1
Level 1

Make Power management more "intelligent"

Post by happysadhu » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:17 pm

It appears that in Cinnamon, the computer will suspend without user activity even when there is network or cpu activity (e.g., downloading a file or watching a video) . (No Gnu-Linux distro that I have tried has gotten this right.) To my recollection, Windows and Mac don't suspend unless there is truly no task-related activity, user -directed or not. That allows users to watch movies or listen to music, for example, without interruption, without having to disable sleep mode. I suggest adding an advance option in Cinnamon's Power Management GUI to set the cpu and network threshold for suspension. See Keep.Awake as an example of the implementation in Linux: https://launchpad.net/keep.awake "This program will keep your system ON based on certain parameters; namely cpu load, user activity, and network traffic (boolean OR for all three). It will also log its interval analysis to a managed log file.".

smurphos
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Make Power management more "intelligent"

Post by smurphos » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:38 pm

In the meantime you can add the Inhibit applet to your panel and temporarily disable suspend / screensaver if you need to. It also acts as a notice when an application is currently inhibiting power management. Apps playing media and the like should really be inhibiting idle themselves, if they are not it's more likely a bug / missing feature in the application rather than the OS / Desktop environment.

You can also launch applications / commands using systemd-inhibit (run man systemd-inhibit in a terminal for more info) to ensure the system doesn't go idle whilst that application or command is running.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

carum carvi
Level 5
Level 5

Post by carum carvi » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:37 pm

smurphos wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:38 pm
Apps playing media and the like should really be inhibiting idle themselves, if they are not it's more likely a bug / missing feature in the application rather than the OS / Desktop environment.
For many years in a row I have NEVER experienced a sudden and UNWANTED suspend when a video or music file was playing. Only when I press PAUSE suspend will kick in. Something is perhaps wrong with your application as Smurphos already suggested, not with the LinuxMint suspend power management settings. What kind of music/videoplayer you are using? What kind of OS have you got installed?

happysadhu
Level 1
Level 1

Post by happysadhu » Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:24 pm

Thanks for your replies. I"ll do some more experimenting with various apps in Cinnamon. Perhaps, I am was to quick in my conclusion based on my past experience with various gnu-linux distros.

carum carvi
Level 5
Level 5

Post by carum carvi » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:06 pm

Happysadhu, keep us informed about your experiments. It is always interesting to hear a different viewpoint. I would be frustrated too if a video or song was suddenly interrupted. Often there is a culprit to be found. If you have solved your problem, please let us know, what the cause was. We can learn from your experience, to help others in similar situations.

If you dont find a solution, please let us know as well. The linuxmint forum has lots of determined, friendly and very experienced forummembers who will be glad to help you with your issues. :D

Return to “Suggestions & New Ideas”