Slight improvement to Caja

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
  • Only post ideas here that are specifically about the Linux Mint distribution or its websites.
  • So that developers and users from any distribution can discuss ideas in one place, post ideas about improving software to the collaboration website for that software instead.
cjoliprsf
Level 1
Level 1

Slight improvement to Caja

Post by cjoliprsf » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:39 pm

When I use a file browser, one thing I very often do is to shift from icon view to list view and back.
Currently in Caja, this is done with a drop-down list. Thus I have to make a first clik to obtain the list and then select the view type I want.
This drop-down list could be replaced by 3 small buttons, one for icon view, one for list view and one for compact view. Then just one clik would be required to go from one view type to the other.
Thanks for considering this...

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Slight improvement to Caja

Post by xenopeek » Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:34 pm

Feature requests for Caja can be made to the Caja developers here: https://github.com/mate-desktop/caja/issues. Search first to see if anybody has previously suggested the same.

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:42 pm

cjoliprsf wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:39 pm
Currently in Caja, this is done with a drop-down list. Thus I have to make a first clik to obtain the list and then select the view type I want.
This drop-down list could be replaced by 3 small buttons, one for icon view, one for list view and one for compact view. Then just one clik would be required to go from one view type to the other.
Caja is controllable via keyboard shortcuts. You can switch the views via Ctrl+1, Ctrl+2 and Ctrl+3. If you prefer icons, Nemo has that. It's also much faster loading folder contents (ever tried loading a large folder in caja? you're probably still waiting...).
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

cjoliprsf
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cjoliprsf » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:48 am

xenopeek wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:34 pm
Feature requests for Caja can be made to the Caja developers here: https://github.com/mate-desktop/caja/issues. Search first to see if anybody has previously suggested the same.
OK. I had a look, and it seems such suggestions don't get much attention! One interesting suggestion made in February to darken the icons of hidden files still has no one assigned, no projects, no milestone! I am not sure my suggestion would get an attentive ear...

On a related subject if I understand correctly, the Mint dev team has uniformised the text editor, now using Xed in all flavors of Mint, while Mate before that used Pluma, and I suppose Cinnamon and XFCE each had their dedicated editor.
Is there a plan to do something similar for the file browser? To take the best of Caja, Nemo and Thunar and make a file browser that would be common to all flavors of Mint?

And gm10 wrote:
Caja is controllable via keyboard shortcuts. You can switch the views via Ctrl+1, Ctrl+2 and Ctrl+3. If you prefer icons, Nemo has that.
Yes, and so does Thunar if I remember correctly. I knew the keyboard shortcuts existed, but I don't use these much - there would simply be too many to remember for all the programs I use...

Thanks for your replies.

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:51 am

cjoliprsf wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:48 am
Is there a plan to do something similar for the file browser? To take the best of Caja, Nemo and Thunar and make a file browser that would be common to all flavors of Mint?
You can use Nemo in MATE if you want, just install it. I am doing so myself (although Nemo has its own problems, several memory leaks and a number of crash bugs. oh well, I don't use file browsers often...).
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

Return to “Suggestions & New Ideas”