A button to mark the forum's topics as "solved"

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
  • Only post ideas here that are specifically about the Linux Mint distribution or its websites.
  • So that developers and users from any distribution can discuss ideas in one place, post ideas about improving software to the collaboration website for that software instead.
ezau_primo
Level 1
Level 1

A button to mark the forum's topics as "solved"

Post by ezau_primo » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:26 am

Hi :D
I saw in a few forums about linux that they have a button for mark the topics as solved. Someone create the topic, and when everything is done, they click on the button "mark as solved", and the topic is automatic marked as solved in its title.
I think it's a good idea to create something like that for mint's forum because I realized that there are many topics solved, but it's creators didn't mark it as solved. Maybe because they were new to the forum/linux like me and they didn't know how to mark the topic as solved. So that makes a lot of topics stay opened, when they should be closed. Something like that.
I think it would be good to have a button like this.

Thanks! :)

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: A button to mark the forum's topics as "solved"

Post by catweazel » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:57 pm

ezau_primo wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:26 am
I think it would be good to have a button like this.
I doubt it would help at all. The vast majority of people never read the forum guides or the rules, where it explicitly states:
When an issue has been resolved for you, please edit the original post to include <SOLVED> in the title. This provides a good indicator for users with a similar problem to check out the topic. Please make sure the solution that worked for you is clearly indicated, especially if more than one solution has been proposed. If your solution came from outside the forum then describe it or post a link to it. Following these simple instructions will help other users find success solving similar problems.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=83444

If people were reading the rules, there would be no need to suggest a button. What's more, most people don't even see the buttons that exist right now.
¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ os ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɯoɹɟ ɯ,ı

Schultz
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Schultz » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:28 pm

There's another forum I visit regularly that uses a solved button. It puts a green check mark at the end of the subject line.
I prefer seeing [SOLVED] instead (and at the beginning of the subject line).

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:55 pm

Schultz wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:28 pm
There's another forum I visit regularly that uses a solved button. It puts a green check mark at the end of the subject line.
+1

It's also much easier to find solved subjects in a search engine when the subject explicitly includes the word 'solved'.
¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ os ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɯoɹɟ ɯ,ı

rene
Level 11
Level 11

Post by rene » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:04 pm

So let's get said proposed button to add [SOLVED] to the title. The current situation of needing OP to go back to the original post and edit the title manually means it happens a lot less than it would with any such button. We're after all dealing with human rather than nice beings.

But, to OP, same has been proposed quite often and, supposedly lacking a ready made plug-in for the forum software, never goes anywhere. Only responding myself due to allergy for above status-quo cheering-on; clearly the current method sucks donkey balls...

gm10
Level 18
Level 18

Post by gm10 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:13 pm

rene wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:04 pm
But, to OP, same has been proposed quite often and, supposedly lacking a ready made plug-in for the forum software, never goes anywhere. Only responding myself due to allergy for above status-quo cheering-on; clearly the current method sucks donkey balls...
Plugins exist, but I know you said supposedly for a reason. Also only responding for the same reason you are. It's an entirely standard feature for support forums to allows the thread creator to accept one answer or otherwise mark a support request as solved, there's simply no good argument that can be made against it.
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

Zeno7
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Zeno7 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:39 am

catweazel wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:55 pm
Schultz wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:28 pm
+1

It's also much easier to find solved subjects in a search engine when the subject explicitly includes the word 'solved'.
I would also recommend using [SOLVED] in the subject title. And it is more simple!

Flemur
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Flemur » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:42 pm

On the other hand it's slightly easier to not press a button than it is to not write SOLVED.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Mint 19.1 Xfce/fluxbox
Manjaro openbox/fluxbox

dg333
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dg333 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:08 am

ezau_primo wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:26 am
Hi :D
I saw in a few forums about linux that they have a button for mark the topics as solved.
Were those forums really or questions-and-answers sites? An example of the latter kind is ask.libreoffice. org. It has a *solved* button, as well as buttons to upvote / downvote questions. However, 9 out of 10 lusers there are too stupid to understand it and act as if they were in a usual forum. A great design that does not work due to the human deficiencies.

ezau_primo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ezau_primo » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:20 pm

dg333 wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:08 am

Were those forums really or questions-and-answers sites? An example of the latter kind is ask.libreoffice. org. It has a *solved* button, as well as buttons to upvote / downvote questions. However, 9 out of 10 lusers there are too stupid to understand it and act as if they were in a usual forum. A great design that does not work due to the human deficiencies.
They're forums. One of them is a Brazillian forum.

Return to “Suggestions & New Ideas”