New Idea

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
  • Only post ideas here that are specifically about the Linux Mint distribution or its websites.
  • So that developers and users from any distribution can discuss ideas in one place, post ideas about improving software to the collaboration website for that software instead.
Jimmer321
Level 1
Level 1

New Idea

Post by Jimmer321 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:09 pm

Something I would like to see is an ISO file that would create Mint2Go. This would allow you to make a fully functioning Linux Mint that would install on a usb stick. This would allow you to install apps and keep some of your data on the stick. As far as I know with the bootable stick for installing you can not add software to it or remove software from it so you cant customize your st an OS. This would be nice for people on the go that have access to computers that are running other O.S.'s and may not have the software you need or you use.

Thanks to all that worked on Mint to make it what it is a beautiful smooth running OS.

Just a idea.

athi
Level 6
Level 6

Re: New Idea

Post by athi » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:21 pm

You can install Mint on external drive with the current installer. Just have to install boot loader on external drive MBR or EFI partition (for GPT).
Mint Mate 19.1. Main rig is HP 800G2 I5 6500 16GB ram, 120GB boot drive, 2x3TB, 1x4TB data drives. Oldest rig is Mate 18.3 on Dell D620 with 32bits core duo.

majpooper
Level 5
Level 5

Post by majpooper » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:09 pm

Jimmer321 wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:09 pm
Something I would like to see is an ISO file that would create Mint2Go. This would allow you to make a fully functioning Linux Mint that would install on a usb stick. This would allow you to install apps and keep some of your data on the stick. As far as I know with the bootable stick for installing you can not add software to it or remove software from it so you cant customize your st an OS. This would be nice for people on the go that have access to computers that are running other O.S.'s and may not have the software you need or you use.

Thanks to all that worked on Mint to make it what it is a beautiful smooth running OS.

Just a idea.
Great idea - it is done all the time. if you search this forum with "persistent usb" you will finds tons of information and some HOW TOs.
I have never done it so cannot speak from experience but I seem to recall that the host computer's BIOS (I.e. the particular PC you end up trying boot from) in some cases can prevent you from booting up the Mint2Go usb as you call it (good name btw).
Anyway here is just one thread of many on how to accomplish what you are asking about.
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=298391&p=1662552&h ... b#p1662552

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:46 pm

Hi Jimmer321,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum!

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

There are 2 commonly used options for doing what you suggested:

1.) If you have a USB stick that is 16gb or larger and 32gb or larger is better, then you can easily fully install Linux Mint to that USB stick during a regular install and it will work as if it was installed to a hard drive. Recommend using a fast and durable USB stick, or create a bootable partition on a USB external drive, ext4 file system format, and install to that partition.

2.) If you want to be able to install Linux Mint and have the ability to make changes and add some applications and have them available after restarting (rebooting) any computer with your USB stick, then create a USB stick with "persistence" which is easy to do using "unetbootin", "multisystem", "Multiboot USB", etc... with up to 4gb of persistent space. To get a USB stick to use more than 4gb of persistent space requires a little more effort but it can also be done.

There are many posts on these topics already in this forum.
[Tutorial] Live usb with persistence over 4GB - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=229086&hilit=usb+persistence

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint KDE 18.3 & 19, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

Return to “Suggestions & New Ideas”