Some suggestions for Linux Mint Cinnamon, and Linux Mint blog

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
  • Only post ideas here that are specifically about the Linux Mint distribution or its websites.
  • So that developers and users from any distribution can discuss ideas in one place, post ideas about improving software to the collaboration website for that software instead.
smurphos
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Some suggestions for Linux Mint Cinnamon, and Linux Mint blog

Post by smurphos »

smurphos wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:08 am
I'm just doing a little experiment to edit the local file and add suspend as an option.......
Experiment successful - I'll post up a method tomorrow. Time to go to work now.
gm10 wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:57 am
I don't know if Cinnamon has something similar.
Unfortunately not only the dim on idle option and the option to make that battery only.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Ahmed_Elsayed wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:14 pm
5) Mint-Y-Dark themes are good themes, but they aren’t vivide , and the levels of white, and black are not satisfying.
That is entirely down to personal taste.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
smurphos
Level 17
Level 17

Post by smurphos »

smurphos wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:08 am
I don't know what the the reasons for not offering suspend are, although it might be that as the machine still consumes power in a suspended state it's not considered a 'safe' option. The default critical threshold for action is time left - 2 mins or if using percentage mode 2% so is pretty low.
Just completed the second part of my experiment - what's the battery drain is in suspend. Obviously hardware specific but surprisingly high in my case - around 3.5% per hour (dropped from 96% to 65% in 9.5 hours suspended on battery). The laptop can wake on any key-press to both it's built in keyboard and an external USB keyboard, aswell as the laptops power button so I guess keeping those powered as-well as the RAM is a factor,

So on an assumption that the average user would probably want it to stay safely suspended for maybe 8 hours plus on a critical battery event the critical battery threshold would need to be much much higher - maybe around 30%
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

smurphos wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:14 pm
Just completed the second part of my experiment - what's the battery drain is in suspend. Obviously hardware specific but surprisingly high in my case - around 3.5% per hour (dropped from 96% to 65% in 9.5 hours suspended on battery). The laptop can wake on any key-press to both it's built in keyboard and an external USB keyboard, aswell as the laptops power button so I guess keeping those powered as-well as the RAM is a factor,
Yes, devices usually stay powered, depending on settings also the network stays up, which costs a lot of energy. UPower actually defaults to hybrid sleep (suspend to disk and ram) as the action to take on critical power, but CSD's power manager overrides that.
smurphos
Level 17
Level 17

Post by smurphos »

I guess hibernation has to be enabled for hybrid sleep to be available? It looks like Cinnamon's Power Settings module will offer it if the system is capable of it.

https://github.com/linuxmint/cinnamon/b ... er.py#L189
gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

smurphos wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:37 pm
I guess hibernation has to be enabled for hybrid sleep to be available? It looks like Cinnamon's Power Settings module will offer it if the system is capable of it.

Ah, didn't realize they supported that if they do not support suspend on its own. Good. Yes, you need to enable hibernation. You can check if it's available like this:

Code: Select all

busctl call org.freedesktop.login1 /org/freedesktop/login1 org.freedesktop.login1.Manager CanHybridSleep
smurphos
Level 17
Level 17

Post by smurphos »

Yep.

smurphos
Level 17
Level 17

Post by smurphos »

So - my understanding is...

Suspend (to RAM) potentially quite high power drain so not necessarily suitable for battery powered devices for any extended period, or AC powered devices where power cuts are a possibility.

Hybrid-Sleep - Suspend to Ram but with a Hibernation backup so if the device does run out of juice in this state it can still resume from Disk as if it had actually been Hibernated. If it's still got juice it will resume from RAM

Hibernation - Suspend to Disk only.
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

smurphos wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:33 am
Hybrid-Sleep - Suspend to Ram but with a Hibernation backup so if the device does run out of juice in this state it can still resume from Disk as if it had actually been Hibernated. If it's still got juice it will resume from RAM
Didn't even know that such a thing existed.... :shock:

Anyway: just shut the bloody rig down, is what I say.... Much simpler, fail-safe and (with modern-day ultra short boot times) almost just as quick to be up and running again. :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 20 Ulyana
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
smurphos
Level 17
Level 17

Post by smurphos »

I don't disagree, but then I run my laptop on AC 95% of the time. But for those who run regularly on battery, the available options in Cinnamon out of the box for critical battery actions don't really cut it in terms of preserving unsaved work. Choices are good.
gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

I disagree from a practical point of view: I usually have a number of applications/documents open and it's faster to resume from hibernation than to open them all up again, remembering where I left off. But to each their own, and as smurphos says, choice is good.
Ahmed_Elsayed
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ahmed_Elsayed »

gm10 wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:06 am
smurphos wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:37 pm

Ah, didn't realize they supported that if they do not support suspend on its own. Good. Yes, you need to enable hibernation. You can check if it's available like this:

Code: Select all

busctl call org.freedesktop.login1 /org/freedesktop/login1 org.freedesktop.login1.Manager CanHybridSleep

The result of the script is no, but it was available with older Linux Mint Cinnamon versions with the same system that I use now, and I was able to use hibernation, and hybrid suspend, and suspend without any issues.

Now, all of them are not available by default.
smurphos
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Some suggestions for Linux Mint, and Linux Mint blog

Post by smurphos »

Ahmed_Elsayed wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:59 pm
Now, None of them are not available by default.
gm10 earlier posted links to his excellent guides on enabling hibernation in current Mint versions.

Hibernate will be an available option once you have enabled it.
As for suspend (so you can also hybrid-sleep), I'll post a guide in a day or two as to how to get that option in.
Ahmed_Elsayed
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ahmed_Elsayed »

smurphos wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:06 pm
Ahmed_Elsayed wrote:
Now, None of them are not available by default.
gm10 earlier posted links to his excellent guides on enabling hibernation in current Mint versions.

As for suspend (so you can also hybrid-sleep), I'll post a guide in a day or two as to how to get that option in.
I added the resume parameters to grub with the right UUID for my swap partition, and updated the grub, and restarted my system, and nothing changed.
gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

smurphos wrote:

Thanks for the kind words, but I only deserve the credit for the swap file guide, the swap partition guide was posted by goebbe.
Ahmed_Elsayed
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ahmed_Elsayed »

Ahmed_Elsayed wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:08 pm
smurphos wrote:
Ahmed_Elsayed wrote:
Now, all of them are not available by default.

I added the resume parameters to grub with the right UUID for my swap partition, and updated the grub, and restarted my system, and nothing changed.
So I had to do the rest of this guide to enable hibernation: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=273202

But I see no reason to disable hibernation by default when a swap partition is created, and enabled during installation.
smurphos
Level 17
Level 17

Post by smurphos »

Ahmed_Elsayed wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:29 pm
But I see no reason to disable hibernation by default when a swap partition is created, and enabled during installation.
It doesn't work well on a small but not insignificant proportion of hardware due to buggy BIOS/UEFI implementations. Upstream Ubuntu disabled it by default back in 12.04 apart from certain certified laptops because of this. Mint followed suite with Mint 19.
Ahmed_Elsayed
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ahmed_Elsayed »

smurphos wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:49 pm
Ahmed_Elsayed wrote:
It doesn't work well on a small but not insignificant proportion of hardware due to buggy BIOS/UEFI implementations. Upstream Ubuntu disabled it by default back in 12.04 apart from certain certified laptops because of this. Mint followed suite with Mint 19.
The best solution is to make it optional during installation with a warning of what can go wrong when checked. It is not an easy task to do manually especially for beginner, they may screw up the grub, and it will take a lot of time to boot, or it will fail to boot at all.
gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

Ahmed_Elsayed wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:05 pm
smurphos wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:49 pm
Ahmed_Elsayed wrote:
The best solution is to make it optional during installation with a warning of what can go wrong when checked. It is not an easy task to do manually especially for beginner, they may screw up the grub, and it will take a lot of time to boot, or it will fail to boot at all.
Frankly Mint still had it enabled as late as the beta of LM 19, but only the UI part without the installer taking the additional steps described in the tutorials linked above, which had not been necessary in previous releases. So people submitted bug reports myself included. The result was that it ended up getting disabled purely out of convenience to avoid having to find a solution and/or patch the installer.

It would be trivial to create a little tool to set this up post-install and make that available from welcome screen or system settings dialogs though.
smurphos
Level 17
Level 17

Post by smurphos »

smurphos wrote:
Cinnamon 19.x Power Settings - How to expand options available for critical battery states.

Return to “Suggestions & New Ideas”