Could VLC replace Totem as the default video player?

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
alidayvn

Could VLC replace Totem as the default video player?

Post by alidayvn »

Not sure, but I think that this may have been suggested before, but would it be possible to make the default video player VLC rather than Totem? I think that it's generally accepted that VLC is considered among the best, if not the best multi-format video player currently around.

I do realize that it's relatively easy to install VLC and set it as the default player, although it's still something that well, saves trouble.

Basically the setup I am proposing would be:

If you open up any video file in the OS:
VLC is used

If you open up any file in the browser:
Totem, with it's plugins are used

(Actually if it were possible, I think there is a way to integrate VLC into Firefox by default for embedded videos, so perhaps Totem is not even needed for that).
carum carvi

Re: Could VLC replace Totem as the default video player?

Post by carum carvi »

alidayvn wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:13 am would it be possible to make the default video player VLC rather than Totem?

Actually if it were possible, I think there is a way to integrate VLC into Firefox by default for embedded videos, so perhaps Totem is not even needed for that.
Yes, you can. Go to Menu / Preferences / Preferred Applications (or similar menu option in your Mint OS) and select Vlc Mediaplayer. From now on every video file on your OS will be automatically opened by the terrific software of Vlc. I have been using it for over 10 years now, with great delight. :)

There is a Vlc addon for Firefox as well called "Open in Vlc Media player". You hover over any mediastream / video file and right click to open the video with Vlc.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Could VLC replace Totem as the default video player?

Post by smurphos »

It's actually xplayer that the default ( a fork of totem) in current Mint versions.

As it stands devs are looking at deprecating xplayer entirely and not installing vlc with the codecs package in favour of Gnome MPV / Celluloid.

See - https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3802
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”