Copiable error message would be nice

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
newling
Level 3
Level 3

Copiable error message would be nice

Post by newling »

When encountering an error message one is already a bit exercised. Would be nice to be able to just highlight, right click, copy and paste it into a browser rather than having to memorize and manually type.
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Copiable error message would be nice

Post by cliffcoggin »

Can you not copy the text into a text editor?
Cliff Coggin
newling
Level 3
Level 3

Post by newling »

As I indicated error messages don't appear to be possible to highlight and copy.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

This depends on where the error messages appear:

Whatever is displayed inside a terminal window, is pure text. It can be marked with the mouse. <Ctrl><Shift>C copies the marked text into the clipboard. The clipboard content can be pasted into a forum post.

Warnings / error messages, displayed by graphical applications, can sometimes really not be marked in the message box and copied into the clipboard.
What can always be done is, create a screenshot of the dialogue box, which displays the error message.
The result will be an image, usually in .png file format. This can be uploaded to a free image hoster like e.g. imgur.com. The hoster will display the URL of the uploaded screenshot file. This URL can be pasted into a forum post.

Note:
Each desktop environment, (Cinnamon, Mate, xfce), brings along its own screenshot application.
There is gnome-screenshot (Cinnamon), mate-screenshot (Mate), xfce4-screenshooter (xfce).
Consult the available help on your screenshot application in order to learn how to handle it, please.

Sample output from a terminal window:

Code: Select all

karl@unimatrix3:~$ inxi -Sx3
System:    Host: unimatrix3 Kernel: 4.15.0-91-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 7.4.0 Desktop: Xfce 4.14.1 
           tk: Gtk 3.22.30 info: xfce4-panel wm: xfwm4 dm: LightDM 1.26.0 Distro: Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia 
           base: Ubuntu 18.04 bionic 
Sample screenshot:

https://i.imgur.com/nrmd9SH.png
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
newling
Level 3
Level 3

Post by newling »

karlchen wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:32 pm This depends on where the error messages appear:

Whatever is displayed inside a terminal window, is pure text. It can be marked with the mouse. <Ctrl><Shift>C copies the marked text into the clipboard. The clipboard content can be pasted into a forum post.

Warnings / error messages, displayed by graphical applications, can sometimes really not be marked in the message box and copied into the clipboard.
What can always be done is, create a screenshot of the dialogue box, which displays the error message.
The result will be an image, usually in .png file format. This can be uploaded to a free image hoster like e.g. imgur.com. The hoster will display the URL of the uploaded screenshot file. This URL can be pasted into a forum post.

Yes, where things can be highlighted and copied, they can be highlighted and copied. So,those would not be the situations I'm referring to. Yes, I also have a 15+ year familiarity with (partial)screen grab technology which will require around 6 steps and the result of which still cannot be posted into a search engine.

I'm starting to suspect why my complaint seems to meet with the incomprehension it has so far: Perhaps it's because it is a petty one borne out of my laziness and wanting instant or at least the fastest solution possible.

What mystifies, however, is what were the good IT folks thinking when coding their error messaging system? That the average computer user will read, say, "No XENIX semaphores available" and think "Right, got it, gonna pick up a couple of semaphores at the store on the way home, hope they've got the XENIX in stock? Or: "Damn, why can't stuff just work?!? Ok, let me google this error message and see if I can find instructions how to fix it?
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hi, Newling.

I can assure you that message/warning/error boxes, which do not permit highlighting and copying the text inside the boxes, are an annoyance to me as well. For precisely the reason which you explained: no text to be copied and pasted into a Google search box. Instead trying to type the stuff manually, which can be a real p.i.t.a.
Yet, this here is only the users-help-users forum. We do not grant properties to or revoke properties from such dialogue boxes.
All I had tried to do was to explain a possible workaround for error messages, which cannot be copied and pasted as text.
Resolving the root causes is outside the scope of what forum users can do.

Best regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Most on screen errors will also be in a plain text log file somewhere. But to give you an idea of where we'd need to know what application is throwing the error message.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hi, smurphos.

newling is not trying to get help on a specific error message box, but he really suggests / requests to make sure that the text displayed in any warning or error dialogue should be copiable into the clipboard. As simple as that. :wink:

Cheers,
Karl
Lifeline
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

I understand that - just suggesting another solution and if the OP's got some examples we can point him/her in the direction of what logs to look for.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

newling wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:03 pm When encountering an error message one is already a bit exercised. Would be nice to be able to just highlight, right click, copy and paste it into a browser rather than having to memorize and manually type.
That bothers me also. It's bad programming.

In synaptic you can't copy the displayed properties/dependencies of a package; but you can copy the "terminal" output.

Also "Software manager" and "software sources" - can't seem to copy any text at all.

Edit: I just opened a bogus mp4 file in smplayer; you can't copy the initial error message, which includes "Error code 2", but you can display and copy the log...which does NOT mention error code 2.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Flemur wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:37 pm
newling wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:03 pm When encountering an error message one is already a bit exercised. Would be nice to be able to just highlight, right click, copy and paste it into a browser rather than having to memorize and manually type.
That bothers me also. It's bad programming.

In synaptic you can't copy the displayed properties/dependencies of a package; but you can copy the "terminal" output.

Also "Software manager" and "software sources" - can't seem to copy any text at all.

Edit: I just opened a bogus mp4 file in smplayer; you can't copy the initial error message, which includes "Error code 2", but you can display and copy the log...which does NOT mention error code 2.
I'll bet the log has "No such file or directory", and it wouldn't be hard to code that in like this.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

MrEen wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:28 pm I'll bet the log has "No such file or directory", and it wouldn't be hard to code that in like this.
Sure they could fix it. It look like this:
smplayer.gif
When I was coding with Unix/C/Motif (= a long ago), I made all the error messages be text boxes so the text could be copied.
Last edited by Flemur on Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

There ya go!

Where can I get a copy of FlemurPlayer? :D
newling
Level 3
Level 3

Post by newling »

Flemur wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:58 pm
MrEen wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:28 pm I'll bet the log has "No such file or directory", and it wouldn't be hard to code that in like this.
Sure they could fix it. It look like this:
smplayer.gif

When I was coding with Unix/C/Motif (= a long ago), I made all the error messages be text boxes so the text could be copied.
A lone maverick coder achieved back during the IT bronze age what entire legions of coders (paid even -MS Win also has uncopiable messages) have not been able to pull off since!
Last edited by newling on Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
newling
Level 3
Level 3

Post by newling »

karlchen wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:24 pm Hi, smurphos.

newling is not trying to get help on a specific error message box, but he really suggests / requests to make sure that the text displayed in any warning or error dialogue should be copiable into the clipboard. As simple as that. :wink:

Cheers,
Karl
That's right. Just a bit of a rant/vent on something that's been bugging me for a long time on Windows. Lo and behold only to find it again in Linux

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”