How about an android version of warpinator?

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
Brody

How about an android version of warpinator?

Post by Brody »

I don't know how realistic this is, but I'd like to see an Android version of Warpinator so that I could quickly transfer pictures from my phone to my laptop and PC.

Currently I can use bluetooth, which takes like 5 minutes to transfer just 1 picture, so that is not feasible when I got many pics to copy. Or I can upload to google drive then download with my laptop, but that is kinda clunky and annoying, and I shouldn't have to waste bandwidth to transfer files around on my own network. Or I can connect my phone to my laptop with a usb cable, but I hate hunting around for a usb cable and I shouldn't have to use cables in 2020.

An app that runs on my phone that can see all computers on the same wifi network that are running warpinator so that I could simply send the file over wifi would really be useful.

Is this at all feasible?
ugly
Level 5
Level 5

Re: How about an android version of warpinator?

Post by ugly »

Try KDEConnect.
Brody

Post by Brody »

I don't want to install KDE or its many libraries/dependencies though.
luggw1
Level 2
Level 2

Post by luggw1 »

I've found KDE Connect to be sufficiently buggy when I was using KDE as to be unusable. It would keep dropping the connection almost as soon as it connected.

What the original poster suggests is interesting to me as well.

Thanks for listening.
Bill Lugg
Mick-Cork
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mick-Cork »

Brody wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:28 pm I don't know how realistic this is, but I'd like to see an Android version of Warpinator so that I could quickly transfer pictures from my phone to my laptop and PC.

Is this at all feasible?
It is now (released on the Google Play Store) :)

https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=4054
luggw1
Level 2
Level 2

Post by luggw1 »

Just installed in on my S10+ and transferred a couple of photos. It worked great!

Thanks to whomever did the work on this.

Bill Lugg
Todd
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Todd »

Warpinator worked well on my ageing S7. Successfully transferred some pics from the phone to my laptop. Took a moment to figure out why I wasn't able to make a connection... I hadn't clicked on the "Update firewall rules" within the Warpinator preferences on my Mint laptop. Once I did that, the connection was made, and the transfer was easily done.
Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon Edition running on a ThinkPad X1 Carbon
I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 »

I'm also able to transfer from a Moto phone and Lenovo tablet to LM20.1 PCs, but the Android device screen for selecting a local folder (internal or microSD on phone, single "adoptable" storage on tablet) always fails. On app launch the prompt pops up asking to select a folder, the file manager appears with blue "Select" button but it does nothing and the screen requires a lot of back-peddling to get out of the (useless) file system. Unlike other apps the system prompt for storage permission never appears, and manually toggling the permission in the Android Apps Settings has no effect.

On this basis it might be handy for one-way image and video transfers from the phone to PC, but wondering if others are unable to move from PC to device. (I'm not wanting to open a support ticket, with obligation to go back and forth about rarely used software - hoping they'll get to it in development.)
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. Mint/Ubuntu user since 10.04 LTS. LM20 64 bit XFCE (Dell 1520). Dual boot LM20 XFCE / Win7 (Lenovo desktop and Acer netbook). Testing LM21.1 Cinnamon and XFCE Live for new Lenovo desktop.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=4054
there is now an android version.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
ajgreeny
Level 7
Level 7

Post by ajgreeny »

Does the Android version need warpinator installed on the PC as well as the Android phone?

Can it be used on any other Linux distro or is it Mint only?
I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 »

ajgreeny wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:46 am Does the Android version need warpinator installed on the PC as well as the Android phone?

Can it be used on any other Linux distro or is it Mint only?
The Play Store listing also has a GitHub address with more info:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... warpinator

AFAIK, a Warpinator client has to be installed on both the sending and receiving devices - not sure if it works on other than Linux Mint PCs. (As above, on my Androids it's only working one-way, which may be handy but not full function.)
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. Mint/Ubuntu user since 10.04 LTS. LM20 64 bit XFCE (Dell 1520). Dual boot LM20 XFCE / Win7 (Lenovo desktop and Acer netbook). Testing LM21.1 Cinnamon and XFCE Live for new Lenovo desktop.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”