Mint Upgrade automated process

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
johnfc2020

Mint Upgrade automated process

Post by johnfc2020 »

Hi,

I do a lot of computer installs for the volunteer group I work with. Anyway, sometimes I PXE boot and install Mint 19.3, then use the mintupgrade tool to upgrade them to 20.

I would like to automate the process, I know I'm downloading and upgrading, so if an option could be added, something like autoupgrade, which runs without asking for the user to type Y at various stages and drops a file into /etc/sudoers.d that allows apt to run without a password, so it doesn't prompt every so often for the user's password to install and remove packages. I can then leave the computer to trundle through an upgrade, and come back when the hard drive stops crunching.

Something like this:

Code: Select all

sed -ibak -e 's/#includedir/includedir/' /etc/sudoers
sudo echo "$USER ALL=NOPASSWD:/usr/bin/apt,/usr/bin/apt-get" > /etc/sudoers.d/mintupgrade
This file can be removed at the end of the script.
mmortal03
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint Upgrade automated process

Post by mmortal03 »

Something else that would be useful is for mintupgrade download and mintupgrade upgrade to detect at any point of a failed download if the Internet connection has gone down, and to pause the script and not retry until the Internet connection has been shown to be re-established.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”