[SOLVED] Turn the Forum into a DApp

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
SpongebobFan1994

[SOLVED] Turn the Forum into a DApp

Post by SpongebobFan1994 »

I've been hesitant for the last few weeks to make this post because I've been thinking about if this idea is even worth it or not, but some recent thoughts about it made me think it may be, and here's why:

No doubt there are times where the forum has to be taken offline for maintenance reasons

No doubt it sometimes moves at a snail's pace because so many users are trying to access it at once

No doubt being a moderator for the entire forum can sometimes be a headache because of how many assignments you're asked to take care of

While the staff don't data-mine us, no doubt they still harvest our data by keeping a record of it

No doubt many people (myself included) don't like ads collecting our data, and would rather keep the forum alive through donations or buying merchandise the staff might sell (if they do, because I'm not sure)

These reasons and more made me recently think about wanting to improve the forum by making it a DApp which could be downloaded through Software Manager, and run on the users' own servers. Some of you (especially the staff) might be thinking, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", and while doing this may cause more challenges to occur, the benefits could outweigh them. I know the moderators would be thinking, "Where do I play a role in this?", and my answer would be in individual subforums because they'd be smaller and easier to manage. The reason I say that is because I can see each subforum acting like a Facebook group where someone creates a subforum, creates their own list of rules, and assigns a small number of moderators to enforce them.

One of the problems of running the forum as a DApp is needing a server that can handle it, and my advice would be get and set up a NAS device. If there's a better way of doing it, let me know.

Another problem would be server costs, which I'm sure would turn off a number of users because they'd see it as an unnecessary expense, when they can use the site free of charge. This in-turn would most-likely lead to higher internet and electricity bills. I honestly wouldn't know how to answer this, because it's something a user would have to do if they don't want to deal with the problems of a centralized site.

If anyone can think of other challenges of doing this, and how to over come them (if possible), let me know.
Last edited by SpongebobFan1994 on Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Turn the Forum into a DApp

Post by absque fenestris »

:?:

...what-is-a-dapp?

https://hedgetrade.com/what-is-a-dapp

After about the fourth line, the explanation of what a dapp actually is began to bore me ...
... that means, I don't know yet what a dapp should be ... :shock:
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

A lot of people post to the forum from their phones or Windows computers because they are having issues with their LM install. Or they are posting from low bandwidth or metered usage connections on older computers.

Part of the reason I moved to LM was because I don't have an always-on high speed connection and I'm using an older computer with a limited size drive. My understanding of DApp would mean I would no longer be participating on the forum if it moved to something like that. I think that defeats the purpose of this forum if its format limits who can participate.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

SpongebobFan1994 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:50 am Some of you (especially the staff) might be thinking, "If it ain't, don't fix it"
This.
and while doing this may cause more challenges to occur, the benefits could outweigh them.
I experience more connection issues with my broadband provider, Comcast (spit), than I do with this forum. I do not know what benefits DApp has to offer, but for me it would be a solution looking for a problem.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

SpongebobFan1994 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:50 am No doubt being a moderator for the entire forum can sometimes be a headache because of how many assignments you're asked to take care of
That's a solved problem. Not all moderators are moderators for the entire forum; some choose to moderate a specific section of it.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
SpongebobFan1994

SMG wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:55 am A lot of people post to the forum from their phones or Windows computers because they are having issues with their LM install. Or they are posting from low bandwidth or metered usage connections on older computers.

Part of the reason I moved to LM was because I don't have an always-on high speed connection and I'm using an older computer with a limited size drive. My understanding of DApp would mean I would no longer be participating on the forum if it moved to something like that. I think that defeats the purpose of this forum if its format limits who can participate.
Just like decentralized social networks, like Minds for example, anyone can join it and participate. If you can give an example of what you're talking about, I could understand what you're saying better.
SpongebobFan1994

Moem wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:01 pm
SpongebobFan1994 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:50 am No doubt being a moderator for the entire forum can sometimes be a headache because of how many assignments you're asked to take care of
That's a solved problem. Not all moderators are moderators for the entire forum; some choose to moderate a specific section of it.
If I knew that before you mentioned it, I wouldn't have brought it up
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

SpongebobFan1994 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:12 pm
Moem wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:01 pm Not all moderators are moderators for the entire forum; some choose to moderate a specific section of it.
You would have, if you'd looked at the 'The Team' page linked below.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
SpongebobFan1994

Moem wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:14 pm
SpongebobFan1994 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:12 pm
Moem wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:01 pm Not all moderators are moderators for the entire forum; some choose to moderate a specific section of it.
You would have, if you'd looked at the 'The Team' page linked below.
You learn something new everyday
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

SpongebobFan1994 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:11 pm
SMG wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:55 am A lot of people post to the forum from their phones or Windows computers because they are having issues with their LM install. Or they are posting from low bandwidth or metered usage connections on older computers.

Just like decentralized social networks, like Minds for example, anyone can join it and participate. If you can give an example of what you're talking about, I could understand what you're saying better.
Anyone can join Minds? Someone with a cellphone that is not a smartphone and no internet access at home can join Minds?

The first smartphone I owned measured data usage overage charges in kilobytes. Not Gigabytes as plans are today, nor as megabytes, but kilobytes. One learned quickly to remember to disconnect the data connection from the network real fast because overage bills ran into the hundreds of dollars. I mention this because not everyone is on an unlimited data plan (either on their phone or their internet service). You might be privileged enough not to realize that is even possible in the year 2020, but it is the reality for many, especially in more rural areas.

In a general sense, blockchain technology is you sending me a message of one block and then me adding a block with my reply. The message is now two blocks long when it goes to the next person. It continues to grow which means each subsequent person receiving it needs the data bandwidth and storage space to be able to receive it. All the blocks stay together forever and they keep growing. This technology has become more common because computers and storage costs have come down, but not everyone has the latest equipment. I've seen inxi information showing the person only has a 60GB hard drive on their computer.

Right now when I pull up a thread on this forum I request one page regardless of how many pages long the thread is. Each page is additional bandwidth. In a block-chain scenario, I would have to take all the pages in order to read just one. I would also have to have the hard drive and RAM space to store it to read it after paying for the internet access to receive it.

So by moving to DApp you are raising the technical requirements to participating on the forum which creates limits on who can participate. That was the point I was making.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
SpongebobFan1994

Thank you to everyone who participated in this discussion.

I realize now that I wasn't thinking clearly when posting this originally, and I thank everyone for making me realize that. I'll use this as a teachable moment for the future.
vishgaur
Level 3
Level 3

Re: [SOLVED] Turn the Forum into a DApp

Post by vishgaur »

:D :) :D
Since 2003 on computers, since 2014 on Linux.

Blog: https://www.inksup.wordpress.com

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”