inxi buttons for xchat

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
tawan

inxi buttons for xchat

Post by tawan »

A plugin for xchat so users can click 'Audio' or 'CPU' or whatever and it sends the correct command e.g. /exec -o inxi -Ax for audio

this way users can easily be lead through help and assistance without the 20 minute battle getting them to paste the correct command back to you.
gazza

Re: inxi buttons for xchat

Post by gazza »

I have to agree with Tawan, I've tried to help numerious people on IRC and sometimes it takes ages to get them to type such a simple thing into the xchat window. I have no idea what the mental block issue is, but for a lot of people, writting /exec -o inxi -xG is a huge problem.
lagagnon

Post by lagagnon »

If they cannot type in a simple 15 character command correctly then as far as I'm concerned they should not be sitting behind a computer keyboard because they haven't got a hope in hell and are basically not helpable.
tawan

Post by tawan »

Come on lagagnon that is not the attitude... :)

Some people have language barriers or are very new.. If they get good help then they use Mint and they develop skills, if they get attitude then they go elsewhere.
lagagnon

Post by lagagnon »

I am only prepared to help those who at least take some modicum of initiative to help themselves. I am tired of hand holding idiots, so my comment still stands. Language barriers are irrelevant when typing a few characters into the IRC command space.
sammyF70

Post by sammyF70 »

Well ... if it's wanted, the script can be found at http://www.cosmic-bandito.com/inxi.py.tar.gz . Put the content (just a file called inxi.py) in ~/.xchat2. It's loaded automatically when xchat starts up and adds 6 buttons on the right side of the chat window, underneath the userlist and the user buttons, and toggle them to visible.
It's *VERY* complex as you can imagine ;)

The 6 buttons and the commands they execute are :

Code: Select all

"CPU"       : inxi -S
"SYSTEM" : inxi -I
"GFX"       : inxi -G
"AUDIO"    : inxi -A
"NET"        : inxi -N
"SENSOR"  : inxi -s
I know the sensors weren't exactly needed, but 5 buttons looked aesthetically unpleasing.

bbye,
SammyF
linXea

Post by linXea »

I think it would be a great feature. I totally agree with tawan, it often takes just as long to get the information as to acually help someone. I'm looking forward to this in MInt 8 hopefully =)

linXea out...
tawan

Post by tawan »

Hey nice work SammyF :)

I've added them, going to play now.
tawan

Post by tawan »

:idea: Of course this would have to be included in a default Mint settup or else it is just as hard to have someone add the buttons as it is to have them type the command.

If this was added to Mint it would make some parts of IRC help easier.
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

this is being considered for Helena: https://blueprints.launchpad.net/linuxm ... rt-buttons
Fire-Fox

Post by Fire-Fox »

any chance of i could change this

remove the color codes?

Code: Select all

System:    Host breezer-storage Kernel 2.6.31-14-generic i686 (32 bit) Distro Linux Mint 8 Helena - Main Edition
*Cannot send to channel (Channel does not accept messages containing color codes)

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”