Is there an option to update Cinnamon under the Edit menu in Update Manager?

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
dandv
Level 1
Level 1

Is there an option to update Cinnamon under the Edit menu in Update Manager?

Post by dandv »

OMG Ubuntu says
You can upgrade to Linux Mint 20.1 from Linux Mint 20 LTS from within the OS:

Open Update Manager
Click Edit > Upgrade to Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa
If that post is correct, I don't see that option under Edit, maybe because it hasn't rolled out here yet, but I think putting the update under the Edit menu is a bad idea:

1. This in an update. It should show up among the list of updates.

2. Menus are generally static. If I look at the Edit menu now and see "Preferences", "Snapshots" and "Sources", I have no indication that in the future I might find there... a Cinnamon upgrade.

3. If for some weird reason the Cinnamon update should stay in that menu, it should be greyed out when not available, so the user knows that's a possible option. (I personally would wonder why is it greyed out, which again goes to show that's not the place where there update belongs.)
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Is there an option to update Cinnamon under the Edit menu in Update Manager?

Post by MrEen »

Refresh the Update Manager and you should see updates for mintupdate or mint-upgrade-info. They have to be applied first to get the Edit menu to show the other.

See here for details: https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=4020

And no, it shouldn't be in the regular updates as not everyone will want to update to 20.1.
dandv
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Is there an option to update Cinnamon under the Edit menu in Update Manager?

Post by dandv »

MrEen wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:57 pm And no, it shouldn't be in the regular updates as not everyone will want to update to 20.1.
Those who don't want to install an update, can uncheck its checkbox. What is the problem here?
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

It's an update of the OS itself, not the packages installed on that OS.

What about the people that use automatic updates. You method would automatically update their OS, and there are many that like to wait until the main bugs have been worked out before updating. Some of us wait until the .3 release as that is usually the most stable of all of them.

Many newbies wouldn't know to uncheck anything there.

The OS update should be something you have to go out of your way for as far as I'm concerned. I've read of many Windows users that would now agree with that. :lol:
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

By the way, this isn't a Cinnamon update we're discussing here. This is the Linux Mint OS update, which might also update Cinnamon for those that use it, but that's not the only DE.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”