suggestion for Black fonts

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
Henry2000
Level 1
Level 1

suggestion for Black fonts

Post by Henry2000 »

Dear devs,

The black fonts in the mint themes are not really black ( #000000 ), but have the colour #303030. This is not a "problem" on decent true colour screens. However, on tn panels the fonts look washed out, which is unpleasant and I found it tiring to the eyes. TN panels are probably the most used displays.

For example:
(both running linux mint 20.1)

on my PC, which has a true colour screen, the fonts where okay.

On my laptop (tn panel) the fonts (with colour #303030) really looked washed out. So I had to edit the css files in gtk3 and gtk2 in the ..themes/Mint-Y-xxx/xx folders, and replaced all #303030 values with #000000. This had a huge positive effect: nice clear fonts to look at, in both gtk3 and gtk2 applications.

I think it would be good to ship linux Mint with a (kinda clear looking) theme that has real black fonts as the default. Because, as mentioned, the difference is quite significant.
DraganTheMighty
Level 4
Level 4

Re: suggestion for Black fonts

Post by DraganTheMighty »

I apply the trick you said too, but not in all screens. In some screens the result is something worse, not better.
However I agree there should be themes with default black fonts so that people would try and choose.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”