Redshift (Location Unknown) work around

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
g5494

Redshift (Location Unknown) work around

Post by g5494 »

Hi. Ive been fooling around with this apt (Redshift) for day's trying to get it to work while trying all the ideas given in this place and other google places to no avail...I'm running Linux Mint 20.1...While I haven't found the exact problem to why it doesn't function for me properly on auto-start, I can tell you that I went to :Start up Applications, highlighted Redshift, went to the bottom of the page and clicked run on the outer right hand icon that looks like a gear & says run when highlighted and voila it immediately turned on to night time settings and dimmed accordingly....I have glaucoma and daytime brightness affects me severely so maybe this could help others and help lead to fixing this pesky little bug, because while the topic seems closed on it, I've yet to see any single solution.

Best of luck
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Re: Redshift (Location Unknown) work around

Post by AZgl1800 »

I had cataracts, and after they were replaced with new lenses, the ambient light outside just kills me.

so, I set up Redshift to work Manually. the Location thing does not work properly.

this is the setting I use 98% of the time:

Redshift-Bedtime.png
the other settings I use, rarely though, are:

Redshift Evening.png
Redshift Evening.png (15.32 KiB) Viewed 661 times
Redshift Morning.png
Redshift Morning.png (15.58 KiB) Viewed 661 times

as you can see, I use the kybd shortcuts to assign a key sequence for each setting.
  • Cntl-Alt-B is for Bedtime or the total lack of Blue
    Cntl-Alt-E for Evening
    Cntl-Alt-M for Morning ( this only gets used when it is totally white outside and the screen seems dim.
I keep the Screen Brightness control at Minimum
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Gruppo Sportivo
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Redshift (Location Unknown) work around

Post by Gruppo Sportivo »

Redshift (Location Unknown)
In your personal folder,make the hidden folder .config visible (key: ctrl+h) and open this folder.
Create a new folder and give it the name: redshift (Note: without a capital letter at the beginning)

then go to https://github.com/jonls/redshift/wiki/ ... nf-example,and copy the script and save it in the folder just created
Find the coordinates of your city and enter them in ¨your location¨.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”