Menu

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
Peter Linu
Level 7
Level 7

Menu

Post by Peter Linu »

Hiyall,
Please look at this link: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=343297&p=1976819&h ... y#p1976819
It shows the difficulty I have experienced doing something as simple as creating new folders in the menu. My local propellor-head also couldn't do it. The advice within the link is either incorrect or too complex.

Perhaps when you have some free time (hahaha), could you look at this, please?
Cinnamon 21.3 Thinkcentre M920Q + 2 Thinkpad T440p (modded) + Lenovo Y50-70 (all have VBs) + 2 PC NAS drives w XFCE21.2 + Win7 Starter-32bit on ASUS Atom (2011) [and a few others]
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Menu

Post by Termy »

If all else fails, you could try editing the program's desktop file yourself, but this isn't something a newbie will probably want to do. You could open up, for example, '/usr/share/applications/some_program.desktop' then add your chosen category to the line starting with Categories=. If you do edit it, be sure to back up the file first, in-case you bork it. :wink:

So, for example, if you had this in your chosen program's '*.desktop' file:

Code: Select all

Categories=some_category;some_other_category;yet_another_category;
You could change it to:

Categories=Remote;some_category;some_other_category;yet_another_category;
The semi-colons (';') are important, BTW; they act as delimiters between each category.

You can get a unique, sorted list of these categories found on your system, if you run the following:

perl -e 'print("[list]\n"); my @Cats; while (<>) {if (/^Categories=/) {chomp(my (undef, $Value) = split("=", $_)); push(@Cats, split(";", $Value))}} my $Old; foreach (sort({$a cmp $b} @Cats)) {$_ eq $Old and next; print("[*] $_\n"); $Old = $_} print("[/list]\n")' /usr/share/applications/*.desktop ~/.local/share/applications/*.desktop
Ignore the BB code (IE: [*]) stuff, BTW. :lol: I was going to post it here, but it's a long list. :roll: I'm guessing editing the '*.desktop' files is what those menu editors actually do, and I'm also guessing that those categories are what's displayed in the menus, but I've not really used those sort of menus properly in years, so I could be barking up the wrong tree.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by RIH »

You are trying to 'find' Anydesk but you omitted to say how you installed it.
If you installed it from the repository then an entry Anydesk will automatically appear in the Menu.
In my case, under Internet.
It is then a 2 minute task to open up the Menu Configurator, (using the buttons provided) Cutting the Anydesk icon from Internet & adding it to where you want.
In my case to my recently added "Sports" section.
anydesk.png
anydesk.png (42.19 KiB) Viewed 1803 times
anydesk 1.png
Burning Desires 69
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Burning Desires 69 »

It shows the difficulty I have experienced doing something as simple as creating new folders in the menu. My local propellor-head also couldn't do it.

I had trouble doing this as well.
From my experience with it, was I created a Folder, but that Folder might have say been placed in the wrong Area,
of that Menu. Now I need to Delete that Folder, but apparently there is an issue where the Folder can't be Deleted.

The Folders in Applications Section on the left side have many Features Greyed Out.
Delete is one of them. Yet the Option to create a New Item or New Menu Folder still exists.

Why are we able to Create if we are not able to Delete what is Created?

This same issue is not a problem for anything inside the right Box where it shows a List of Items.
This Area has Cut, Copy, & Delete available. Now I have no issues at all with what I am Creating.

Is there a reason why this is done like this?
Last edited by Moem on Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Fixed a quote. Make sure to always use both an opening tag [quote] and a closing tag [/quote], enclosing the quote.
I Loved World = 80's & 90's
World Hates Me = 2016 to 2019
I Hate World = 2020 & ^
They want us to Suffer, then lets speed it up, just burn our Sanity away. Else, Shut It!
A "Scar" Means? Yur About To Find Out, The Hard Way!
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by RIH »

Burning Desires 69 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:06 am The Folders in Applications Section on the left side have many Features Greyed Out.
Delete is one of them. Yet the Option to create a New Item or New Menu Folder still exists.
That is not my experience.
As you can see..Cut, Copy & Paste are greyed out, but Delete is not.
Menu.png
However you can just untick an item from that menu (without physically deleting) & it will disappear that way..
Burning Desires 69
Level 2
Level 2

Your looking at the wrong Box. I said Box on the Left Side.

The Side where the;

Applications
-> Accessories
-> Educations
-> Games
.l
.l
.l
.l
\./

Is Located. That is where the Delete Button is Greyed Out.

See it now?
I Hate World = 2020 & ^
They want us to Suffer, then lets speed it up, just burn our Sanity away. Else, Shut It!
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by RIH »

Ah... That is because you do not need to Delete those.
Because...
If there are no entries within one of those then they do not show.in the actual Menu..
If you don't like the Name of something that does have entries (& so does show in Menu) then you can just re-name it to something different using the Properties Button & so change the name...
Burning Desires 69
Level 2
Level 2

Ya, but woudn't it be simpler to just have a Delete Button?

What if you add something by mistake "Added To Wrong Side" "Item Doesn't Work" "Item Doesn't Show In Start Menu"

Does Erasing The Name Really Just Make The Object, Folder, or Item Go Away?
I Hate World = 2020 & ^
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by RIH »

Burning Desires 69 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:36 am Ya, but woudn't it be simpler to just have a Delete Button?

What if you add something by mistake "Added To Wrong Side" "Item Doesn't Work" "Item Doesn't Show In Start Menu"

Does Erasing The Name Really Just Make The Object, Folder, or Item Go Away?
You would have to ask the designer/programmer that question - I just know how it works, not why..
However, as it is easy to stop an item appearing in the actual Menu without deleting it then I think it is rather a moot point that you cannot Delete.

Yes, any actions that you take in the Menu editor are confined to the Menu, not the system.
For example, I just deleted the program Blender from the Menu, using the editor. It no longer appears, but typing Blender into a terminal opens the program..
Burning Desires 69
Level 2
Level 2

For example, I just deleted the program Blender from the Menu, using the editor. It no longer appears, but typing Blender into a terminal opens the program..

In this case, it sounds like it's not really Deleting the items then, it just seems like it's Hiding them.

For Example, Folder A or Program A is created in the Menu, using the editor. Deleting it Makes it disappear from the Menu right?
So you don't see it appear in the Menu anymore... But if you go looking for it on the PC somewhere, you can still find it, because
it's still on the PC, just doesn't appear to be visible in the Menu anymore.

So in reality, your not Deleting it, your just Hiding it. If you were Deleting it, it would be completely Erased from the PC.

Am I wrong?

So I Guess The Question Is: Is There A Work Around For This?
I Hate World = 2020 & ^
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by RIH »

Yes, you are wrong.
We are talking about the MENU editor, not a SYSTEM or OS editor. i.e. - it edits what the menu looks like..

Do you expect the deletion of a desktop shortcut to delete the application??

If you want to delete an Application then use Synaptic or Software Manager or right mouse click on it in the Menu & uninstall - then it will disappear from the Menu as well.. :D
Burning Desires 69
Level 2
Level 2

RIH wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:16 am Yes, you are wrong.
We are talking about the MENU editor, not a SYSTEM or OS editor. i.e. - it edits what the menu looks like..

If you want to delete an Application then use Synaptic or Software Manager or right mouse click on it in the Menu & uninstall - then it will disappear from the Menu as well.. :D
This will be my last Reply here...

So let me get this straight? Your saying that this method actually deletes the Shortcut then?
Cause that is what I was referring to, is that the Shortcut would still exist somewhere on the PC,
even if you Deleted it here in the Menu from what it sounds like you were saying...

If that isn't true? Then you've already answered my Question.

The "Application" isn't what i'm talking about. I'm specifying the Shortcut to it.
I Hate World = 2020 & ^
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by RIH »

This will be my last reply also as you seem to be getting more confused the more that I try & help.

If you use Menu Configure then you cannot delete Applications. You can only Remove items from the Menu.
The Application itself remains untouched on the system & can still be accessed by other means.
The Menu Configurator is just to configure the Menu..

If you wish to remove Applications from your system then there are other means to do that..

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”