Block or ignore topics

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Block or ignore topics

Post by cliffcoggin »

I would welcome the ability to block or ignore individual topics on this forum.

It is possible, though not straightforward, to ignore subjects I have no interest in such as gaming or scripts; but there are subjects I do read in which certain topics have been taken over by acrimony, or trolls, or the paranoid. Those are the ones it would be good to block or permanently denote in some way as unworthy of reading. Is that possible with the forum software?
Cliff Coggin
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Block or ignore topics

Post by xenopeek »

You can hide all posts from specific members by putting them on your "foes" list: ucp.php?i=ucp_zebra&mode=foes. You can't hide individual topics.
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

I know there is no way to do it at present, so I ask that it be considered if the forum is revised in the future. I am aware of blocking foes, but that is a crude indiscriminatory tool that does not achieve the same objective as blocking topics.
Cliff Coggin
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

cliffcoggin wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:20 amI know there is no way to do it at present, so I ask that it be considered if the forum is revised in the future. I am aware of blocking foes, but that is a crude indiscriminatory tool that does not achieve the same objective as blocking topics.
I am not going to argue against your request but I cannot see the point. Threads are not good or bad per se; it is certain posters who are rude or obnoxious and I wish those posts were moderated but as long as they are not then I just have a few posters on my ignore list and my forum experience is very much improved. If I see a thread where a substantial part of the posts are by people on my ignore list then I just avoid the thread but I really cannot see the point of blocking whole threads, the good posts with the bad posts, the baby with the bathwater.

In any case, this forum uses standard phpBB software and I do not believe the forum owners would mess with it.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

GS3 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:32 am In any case, this forum uses standard phpBB software and I do not believe the forum owners would mess with it.
Indeed. I only do small changes like requiring https for avatar images, flagging code blocks such that online translators skip them and such. One or two line changes that stay manageable between phpBB version upgrades. Major functionality like hiding entire topics is something that would have to be implemented by phpBB.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

this why some forums are Privately Owned,
and thus have an Custom Made Software that also runs their Private Forum.
:o
they sure can make changes, as required / suggested by their forum.users.group.

the rest, just make do .. with phpBB software, and even that is confusing,
as not everyone is running the same phpBB version software. . .
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”