Update Manager

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
LanceM

Update Manager

Post by LanceM »

Update Manager at end of kernel updates says a reboot is needed as soon as possible. Windows users are used to clicking the restart now prompt button. New users in my fold, do this without first closing the Update Manager and the system fails to reboot. I wish they would change that message to "Close this window, close all apps, and restart your computer" The word reboot does not match the choices in the power button in the menu. This small item even confuses the most computer illiterate.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Update Manager

Post by all41 »

Update Manager at end of kernel updates says a reboot is needed as soon as possible
I have not seen this particular message urging reboot.
imho that prompt should read something to the effect:
'Some updates will be applied when the system is restarted'
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by RIH »

The Cinnamon message currently is....
reboot.png
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Good one!
That certainly seems to broadcast urgency--no doubt.
I will watch for those messages as the next kernel update is posted.
Probably seen it--just skipped over it.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by RIH »

If you had my laptop then missing it is a real issue... :D
update.png
LanceM

Post by LanceM »

RIH wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:40 am If you had my laptop then missing it is a real issue... :D
update.png
Exactly. However earlier versions of Mint didn't do this message.
Also leaving the Updater window open and restarting doesn't always cause boot failure, but it can. Perhaps it's when other updates are installed at the same time.
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

I did a kernel update this morning and out of curiosity I left the Update Manage window open and rebooted with no problems. I normally close everything before a Shutdown or reboot though.
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
LanceM

Post by LanceM »

HaveaMint wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 2:29 pm I did a kernel update this morning and out of curiosity I left the Update Manage window open and rebooted with no problems. I normally close everything before a Shutdown or reboot though.
I did that too this morning without issues. Yesterday a friend that I put 20.1 on their Dell desktop PC had it happen. She called me for help. The power button was lit, but nothing on the screen, just black. I had her keep holding the power button down until it went off and then it booted up normally once she pressed it again. It is an AMD FM2 machine, Almost new. It Win 10 on it, but never used. I had this happen once before with Mint 20 on a AMD machine.
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

LanceM wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 2:58 pm
HaveaMint wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 2:29 pm I did a kernel update this morning and out of curiosity I left the Update Manage window open and rebooted with no problems. I normally close everything before a Shutdown or reboot though.
I had her keep holding the power button down until it went off and then it booted up normally once she pressed it again.
Next time you may wish to use (hold) Alt then press and release reisub. The b is reboot, change to o for power off. Power button shutdown can cause problems.
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
LanceM

Post by LanceM »

Power button shutdown can cause problems.
I know about REISUB, but in this instance it would of done nothing.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”