Add Tor Browser

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
ytene
Level 4
Level 4

Add Tor Browser

Post by ytene »

Just a quick and simple suggestion...

Would it be possible for Mint to consider adding the Tor Browser in to the default package libraries please?

Every day we see more and more examples of privacy-invading techniques designed to track us across the web. Apple recently announced that they would offer a mechanism to use the TOR network with subscribers to some of their premium services, a likely indication of the perceived benefits of the privacy network.

I've been using tor on Mint for a few years now, but I find their installation instructions (basically they offer a tarball for Linux users) to be a bit on the fiddly side.

Having it packaged via Software Manager would be a great addition for the community.

Thank you.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Add Tor Browser

Post by xenopeek »

Tor Browser is already in the default software repositories. Simply install the torbrowser-launcher package. That provides a launcher on your system that when you start it downloads the official Tor Browser release, or downloads an available newer version, and installs it on your system and then runs that.
OunceofCommonSense
Level 5
Level 5

Post by OunceofCommonSense »

Brave browser has TOR integrated in. There is an option to use TOR in a private widow in the options menu
MB: Gigabyte model: B650M AORUS ELITE AX Memory: Corsair Low Profile Vengeance 32.00 GB. CPU Ryzen7600x Platform: x86_64 Distribution: Linux Mint 21.2
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Brave Browser isn't in the official repositories so this is not relevant to this suggestion.
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

I just added Tor to my 20.1 install. They have come a long way with this browser. I may use it more now
ytene
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ytene »

xenopeek wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:44 am Tor Browser is already in the default software repositories. Simply install the torbrowser-launcher package. That provides a launcher on your system that when you start it downloads the official Tor Browser release, or downloads an available newer version, and installs it on your system and then runs that.
Thank you - I had missed that - much appreciated.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”