Main cinnamon menu lame

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
mitn
Level 1
Level 1

Main cinnamon menu lame

Post by mitn »

The Main Menu in Cinnamon closes on add-favorite, and favorites do not behave the same way as other menu items. Right click fails, it should be the same as any other menu.

I looked all around for how to find remove-favorite before finding it is 'drag-off' to remove. Why? Why does it use context to add, drag to remove? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU!?

REALLY disappointing to see this crap. I cannot recommend Linux over other OS when major distros continue to dump junk like this.
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Main cinnamon menu lame

Post by RollyShed »

mitn wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:38 pm The Main Menu in Cinnamon closes on add-favorite, and favorites do not behave the same way as other menu items. Right click fails, it should be the same as any other menu.
Having used Mint for more than a decade, installed near 40 installations, where or what is "add-favorite"? And right click on what?

Also note that a Windows user for a few decades, dropped on to using Mint one morning in 2018, carries on using her computer in the normal manner as she always has. She hasn't found any favorites either, or has never told me.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

RollyShed wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:06 am Having used Mint for more than a decade, installed near 40 installations, where or what is "add-favorite"? ... She hasn't found any favorites either, or has never told me.
Screenshot_20210727_201330.jpg
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

mitn wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:38 pm Why? Why does it use context to add, drag to remove? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU!?

REALLY disappointing to see this crap.
So it seems that in conclusion, we can say that you're not best pleased? 8)
Your feedback seems pretty valid, but the ranting makes it harder to take seriously.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Beerislife

Post by Beerislife »

mitn wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:38 pm
REALLY disappointing to see this crap. I cannot recommend Linux over other OS when major distros continue to dump junk like this.
If I were you I'd ask for my money back!
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

mitn wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:38 pm WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU!?

I cannot recommend Linux over other OS when major distros continue to dump junk like this.

Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:15 am Screenshot
Sorry Kadaitcha Man never noticed or used it. Probably because going there (right click) the question is whether to put it on the Desktop or Panel and always on or off with a right click to get what is wanted.

What does Favourites do?
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

You're REALLY whining THIS MUCH..over something soo little and simple to overlook, when Other OS worlds ( such as Microsoft and Apple) have WORSE..problems that they have chosen to overlook for literally decades? Really? :roll:

Interesting priorities you have there.
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Gentlefolks, let's not have a pile-on here, it doesn't show us from our best side.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Mick-Cork
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mick-Cork »

mitn wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:38 pm The Main Menu in Cinnamon closes on add-favorite, and favorites do not behave the same way as other menu items. Right click fails, it should be the same as any other menu.

I looked all around for how to find remove-favorite before finding it is 'drag-off' to remove. Why? Why does it use context to add, drag to remove? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU!?

This is a user forum so my question would be - What is wrong with who?

Having said that I agree that the menu shouldn't close when a favorite is added, but other than that it works OK. Definitely not 'crap'.

Right click on a menu item offers the option to 'Remove from favorites' if its already added as a favorite, so it's consistent in that respect. You can also drag to add so that matches the option to drag it off as well. It's not that hard to fathom really.

Returning to the fact that the menu closes (when one wouldn't expect it to), I'd suggest you have a look at the Cinnamenu applet as an option. Be aware though that whilst you can drag an item into the panel as a favorite, you'll have to right click to remove it.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Moem wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:54 pm Gentlefolks, let's not have a pile-on here, it doesn't show us from our best side.
But if it's as adorable (to say nothing of fluffy) as a cat-pile, can it truly be that bad of a thing? Hmm? 8) :lol:
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Stupid question (to the OP) do you also whinge like this when you buy a new car and the cigarette lighter has been moved? A polite question would be far better received than the whinge that you prefaced this thread with. I gave up on Windows because of far more serious issues than a menu not behaving as I thought it should. Do you still use DOS, or have managed to work out the new command structure with Windows 1,2,3, 97,98,M.E.XP,7,8,10? Yep, I've been around that long! (not to mention all the point upgrades and side issues like N.T., 2000 and others that I may have missed.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
mitn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mitn »

But wait, there's more!

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”