Unlock the screen/computer without asking for credentials within x secs of screensaver activation

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
speleomania
Level 1
Level 1

Unlock the screen/computer without asking for credentials within x secs of screensaver activation

Post by speleomania »

Let's say I have my PC configured to lock the screen after 20 mins of inactivity.
The screen is locked after 20 mins but I immediately press a key to unlock it - the default behaviour in Lin is to ask for a pass. IMO it would be more user-friendly to NOT ask for credentials within 5...10..x secs of activation, but unlock the PC right away. I believe this is standard for MS Win.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Unlock the screen/computer without asking for credentials within x secs of screensaver activation

Post by JoeFootball »

speleomania wrote: IMO it would be more user-friendly to NOT ask for credentials within 5...10..x secs of activation, but unlock the PC right away.
An what desktop environment are you using? For example, I'm on Xfce at the moment, and I see a delay option for 0 to 60 seconds.
speleomania
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Unlock the screen/computer without asking for credentials within x secs of screensaver activation

Post by speleomania »

The default Cinnamon 19.3 x64
Sorry I should have specified that

Interesting this is already implemented in XFCE, wondering if such a setting exists in cinnamon as well which I've missed
speleomania
Level 1
Level 1

Post by speleomania »

I may have found it - there's a "delay before locking" setting in System Setting > Screensaver
The default was set to 0, I changed it to 30 secs and looking forward to see if it will work the way i expect
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

speleomania wrote: ... there's a "delay before locking" setting ...
Sounds like that's it. :)

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”