Open a Mastodon Account for Linux Mint

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
hbenjamin
Level 1
Level 1

Open a Mastodon Account for Linux Mint

Post by hbenjamin »

Hello,
As I don't use Twitter actively because of the privacy aspect of things, I would find it very cool if Linux Mint opened an Account on the Fediverse.
I joined the Fediverse (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fediverse) around 2019. Since then I had many conversations that were so much more insightful and thoughtful than on Twitter.

Some big FOSS-Projects are already on Fosstodon, a Mastodon Instance focused on FOSS Projects.

I would really appreciate if Linux Mint opened a Mastodon Account.

~ Benjamin.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Re: Open a Mastodon Account for Linux Mint

Post by AZgl1800 »

hbenjamin wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:43 am Hello,
As I don't use Twitter actively because of the privacy aspect of things, I would find it very cool if Linux Mint opened an Account on the Fediverse.
I joined the Fediverse (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fediverse) around 2019. Since then I had many conversations that were so much more insightful and thoughtful than on Twitter.

Some big FOSS-Projects are already on Fosstodon, a Mastodon Instance focused on FOSS Projects.

~ Benjamin.
I appreciate the thought, but splitting things up into two different forums would be detrimental to our concept of helping everyone.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
lamar
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lamar »

+1 to azgl1500
lamar
revmacian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by revmacian »

Another +1 to azgl1500. Also, I wouldn't be so quick to jump onto something new - I remember jumping onto Google Plus and it is now dead. Fediverse sounds like someone is trying to create their own "internet".. we should give it a decade and see if it's still around.
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you'll feed him for a lifetime.
US Navy, NEC HM8404
hbenjamin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hbenjamin »

AZgl1500 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:04 pm
hbenjamin wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:43 am Hello,

~ Benjamin.
I appreciate the thought, but splitting things up into two different forums would be detrimental to our concept of helping everyone.
I wouldn't view Mastodon as a Forum for support per se, It is more a place to talk and exchange.
Is is more similar to Twitter - a place where information about the project is posted, not necessarily a support channel.

To relive some of the burden, I could operate the the Account.
I just wanted to ask, if something like this is appreciated.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

hbenjamin wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:33 am I just wanted to ask, if something like this is appreciated.
It will end up as nothing more than a third rate help forum, much like reddit.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

hbenjamin wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:43 am I would really appreciate if Linux Mint opened a Mastodon Account.
Ok, so I'm a little confused. Are you asking to create an account on Mastodon, or on Fediverse? I've never heard of either of these before.

I think you'll find that most of us here on LMF don't use social media platforms (or, for those who do, it tends to be pretty limited) and while there's likely a variety of reasons for it, in my experience I'd say the two most common are a concern about privacy and security, and a general disgust with what social media has become. For whatever it's worth, I am (primarily) in the second group on that, though I share many of the first group's concerns. Besides, we've got a great community here on LMF that keeps growing and adding new people all the time.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”