Forums Overhaul, Possible extensions and theme & design

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
BJZilberman
Level 2
Level 2

Forums Overhaul, Possible extensions and theme & design

Post by BJZilberman »

Hello everyone, especially the Linux Mint team!

As I previously mentioned on the forum, I'm a long-time lurker, and became a member recently. I was wondering, why not spice up the forums a little bit? Maybe upgrade to phpBB 3.3, which has a lot of new features, including easier access for nice extensions (like post ratings, user profiles), and having the theme customized and de-cluttered (phpBB has a lot of useful features, but most of them are rarely used, and filling up the screen space).

If you were planning on some upgrade, or design changes, I would love to volunteer helping with the design and anything related to phpBB 🙂.
I think this thread could serve as a discussion thread on how to make the web-aspects of Linux Mint more accessible to the average user, and maybe even bring new faces to Mint, whereas before right now the web-platforms weren't aren't as inviting.

I would love to receive a PM about the topic, if it comes to any of the devs interest
cheers 🤗
Kendoori
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Forums Overhaul, Possible extensions and theme & design

Post by Kendoori »

Many here have advocated for leaving well enough alone, but I agree with you. Even adding something as simple as marking a topic solved, would be useful.

The engagement level of this forum is great, but the platform is long in the tooth and really out of step with what is going on elsewhere.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Kendoori wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:52 am The engagement level of this forum is great, but the platform is long in the tooth and really out of step with what is going on elsewhere.
Those two mentioned characteristics may not be independent.
dorsetUK
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dorsetUK »

rene wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:04 pm
Kendoori wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:52 am The engagement level of this forum is great, but the platform is long in the tooth and really out of step with what is going on elsewhere.
Those two mentioned characteristics may not be independent.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Genius.

If I was on 'another' platform I'd probably say something like; oh yeah man that's brill and I love that sooooo much. Totally cool. +150%.

As I'm not. +1 to rene.

P.S.
BJZilberman, I'm not getting at you, your offer is generous, but this forum works and so any changes should be gradual.
BJZilberman
Level 2
Level 2

Post by BJZilberman »

Of course changes, if needed be, should be gradual. But something as simple as post ratings could turn the forums around completely (example: add a couple of buttons, 'agree', 'disagree', 'thanks').

I mean, I could draft something like a browser extension that makes all the changes that I'm thinking about, it may give a better idea as to what I mean.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

BJZilberman wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:43 pm But something as simple as post ratings could turn the forums around completely (example: add a couple of buttons, 'agree', 'disagree', 'thanks').
Rest assured it would, and in the same direction as it has on every other platform any such social reward system has ever been implemented on: in the direction of a useless echo chamber with in-crowd karma-whoring rather than competent/useful contributions its main content.

I.e., you'd be surprised how many of the regulars here do not have and will never have a say Facebook account. This point has been discussed quite a few times before; most regulars here very explicitly do not want any of it.
revmacian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by revmacian »

BJZilberman wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:10 am Hello everyone, especially the Linux Mint team!

As I previously mentioned on the forum, I'm a long-time lurker, and became a member recently. I was wondering, why not spice up the forums a little bit? Maybe upgrade to phpBB 3.3, which has a lot of new features, including easier access for nice extensions (like post ratings, user profiles), and having the theme customized and de-cluttered (phpBB has a lot of useful features, but most of them are rarely used, and filling up the screen space).

If you were planning on some upgrade, or design changes, I would love to volunteer helping with the design and anything related to phpBB 🙂.
I think this thread could serve as a discussion thread on how to make the web-aspects of Linux Mint more accessible to the average user, and maybe even bring new faces to Mint, whereas before right now the web-platforms weren't aren't as inviting.

I would love to receive a PM about the topic, if it comes to any of the devs interest
cheers 🤗
I admire you for volunteering to help.. and there could be advantages to upgrading. However, I feel it is necessary to consider whether or not an upgrade is actually necessary.

I understand ratings are all the rage, but let's look at this realistically; ratings are nothing more than human opinion. Suppose a not-so-popular user posts advice that is also not-so-popular in the Linux world - a certain CLI prank comes to mind. Let's now suppose that this poster got 20 of his/her friends to "like" the thread. To a user who is new to Linux this thread now seems popular when in fact it is malicious in nature. This reminds me of the saying "birds of a feather flock together", I remember someone in another Linux forum tried to get me to join there and like a few threads that I felt weren't exactly kosher. Ratings and likes shouldn't even be considered because they are methods of seeking personal validation, and if we reward that then we become part of a problem instead of being part of a solution. The fact of the matter is that the value of a human being is not based on the opinions from other human beings. I'm sure this post will be quite unpopular with some and I'm perfectly fine with that.

Change can be a good thing.. but it should also be necessary and serve the best interest of the user base.
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you'll feed him for a lifetime.
US Navy, NEC HM8404
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Kendoori wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:52 am Even adding something as simple as marking a topic solved, would be useful.
This is the only feature that has been discussed in this topic that I would welcome.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

BJZilberman wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:10 am Hello everyone, especially the Linux Mint team!

cheers 🤗
I prefer to leave it just like it is, good people helping folks with a need.
and the current format is very Familiar, it does not need Extensions.

There is only one (1) item that would be useful IMO.

A button labeled SOLVED
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

The main website is undergoing a redesign. See the monthly news about that: https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=4116. The team is focusing solely on the main website for the moment but once it's completed they will tackle the other websites. Maybe also the forum theme. See the link if you maybe want to join the design team.

Software upgrades are planned. We only use official supported extensions so that will be limiting.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Can I join the design team as well?

Code: Select all

-----------
/         / |
----------  |
|        |  |
| SOLVED |  /
|        | /
----------
revmacian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by revmacian »

rene wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:48 pm Can I join the design team as well?

-----------
/         / |
----------  |
|        |  |
| SOLVED |  /
|        | /
----------
Hey, we got a "Solved" button, nice! Thanks, rene! :D
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you'll feed him for a lifetime.
US Navy, NEC HM8404
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Yeah, I'm really into that "design" thingy what with 3D and all. Enjoy, people!
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

As long as we're adding buttons--How about a button for "See Forum Rules #5" :idea:
imo--When new forum members register they should have to affirm that they have read, understand,
and will abide by those rules---before the registration is complete.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
BJZilberman
Level 2
Level 2

Post by BJZilberman »

xenopeek wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:34 pm The main website is undergoing a redesign. See the monthly news about that: https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=4116. The team is focusing solely on the main website for the moment but once it's completed they will tackle the other websites. Maybe also the forum theme. See the link if you maybe want to join the design team.

Software upgrades are planned. We only use official supported extensions so that will be limiting.
Thanks! that's good to know. I didn't know about the new website github. I should follow the blog more closely :)

Edit:

While at it, I was thinking of something in the realm of forum admins. Maybe add a simple key bbcode? e.g [key]Ctrl[/key] + [key]C[/key] to display a stylized key?

BBCode Usage:

[key]{TEXT}[/key]
HTML Replacement:

<kbd style="display:inline-block;margin:0 .1em;padding:.1em .6em;font-family:sans-serif;font-size:11px;color:#242729;text-shadow:0 1px 0 #ffffff;background-color:#e4e6e8;border:1px solid #9fa6ad;border-radius:3px;box-shadow:0 1px 1px rgba(12,13,14,0.15),inset 0 1px 0 0 #fff;overflow-wrap:break-word;">{TEXT}</kbd>
Help Line:

Keyboard Key: [key]text[/key]
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Normally I don't bother much with threads advertised and talking about "how the LM website / LM Forums looks" but honestly, just this once I have to say I'm glad I did. I am totally digging that new design they've got previewed in the monthly blog. I think it really does lend a more professional, even commercial, quality to things, and if nothing else I believe that design will help in the area of first impressions. However, what really needs to happen is we've got to get greater visibility to the world outside of GNU+Linux. Otherwise, all we're doing is cannibalizing the existing base, just like what happened back in the 90s when Apple started licensing CHRP and Mac OS (a.k.a. "Classic Mac OS") to Motorola, Power Computing, Radius, and others. They didn't bother trying to go after *new* customers to switch to the Mac; instead, they just went after Apple's existing customers, in essence biting the very hand that was feeding them.

Getting higher public visibility will help the world greatly because right now what the world needs on the technology front is somewhere to go to.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
BJZilberman
Level 2
Level 2

Post by BJZilberman »

Portreve wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:08 pm Normally I don't bother much with threads advertised and talking about "how the LM website / LM Forums looks" but honestly, just this once I have to say I'm glad I did. I am totally digging that new design they've got previewed in the monthly blog. I think it really does lend a more professional, even commercial, quality to things, and if nothing else I believe that design will help in the area of first impressions. However, what really needs to happen is we've got to get greater visibility to the world outside of GNU+Linux. Otherwise, all we're doing is cannibalizing the existing base, just like what happened back in the 90s when Apple started licensing CHRP and Mac OS (a.k.a. "Classic Mac OS") to Motorola, Power Computing, Radius, and others. They didn't bother trying to go after *new* customers to switch to the Mac; instead, they just went after Apple's existing customers, in essence biting the very hand that was feeding them.

Getting higher public visibility will help the world greatly because right now what the world needs on the technology front is somewhere to go to.
I honestly couldn't agree more with your statement. The point about reaching new audiences is exactly what I had in mind. And with LM being a very open and accepting community, aswell as an amazing distro. More people need to get into it.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”