Suggest Software for Helena

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
jaqian

Suggest Software for Helena

Post by jaqian »

Hi,
I would love to see the inclusion of a great photographic import program called Rapid photo Downloader for Helena. There are very few photo import programs in Linux and gThumb is too rigid. This would be a great program for all the photographers out there.

Rapid photo Downloader... http://damonlynch.net/rapid/

Review of RPD... http://jcornuz.wordpress.com/

Please Clem can you incude it automatically with distro?

Cheer,
Rob
Rodrigian

Re: Suggest Software for Helena

Post by Rodrigian »

Colonel Schell wrote:My wife thinks that Mint ought to include the Gimpshop instead of Gimp. She finds the Gimp too different from that other program she is used to.

http://www.gimpshop.com/index.shtml

It is the one bit of unhappiness she is experiencing with Gloria, and it has kept Vista on her laptop.
You can still install it via the debian package in the developer's site

It's the first time i hear about this photo program. It looks quite good. + 1 for it's inclusion, but perhaps it could be relabled so to fit better with all the other Gnome features. IT could be called "Photo Downloader" or something like that. The Rapid part of the app name does not convince me :lol:

Hope they will include it
jaqian

Post by jaqian »

I'm sure it could be listed as Photo Downloader in the menu, many apps seem to change their name in the menu. It is quite Rapid though :)

The reason I was looking to have it included was I have been looking for a program like this for the past two years and I'm sure other photographers would be interested in it but like me never heard of it.
lagagnon

Post by lagagnon »

jaqian: if the developers of every distro were to include all the software suggested for inclusion by all the varied users with their varied interests and their varied software requirements then Linux distros would not fit on a single CD, let alone 5 DVD's. One cannot expect your specific need of a specific application to be included. The developers are attempting to keep Mint at one download CD to make it easy for those with slower Internet connections. They therefore will only include the most commonly requested apps in the various application categories.

It is very easy to install your requested apps, as mentioned above, so I see little sense including them on the CD for everyone, when they would probably only be used by a very small subset of Mint users.
jaqian

Post by jaqian »

lagagnon wrote:jaqian: if the developers of every distro were to include all the software suggested for inclusion by all the varied users with their varied interests and their varied software requirements then Linux distros would not fit on a single CD, let alone 5 DVD's. One cannot expect your specific need of a specific application to be included. The developers are attempting to keep Mint at one download CD to make it easy for those with slower Internet connections. They therefore will only include the most commonly requested apps in the various application categories.

It is very easy to install your requested apps, as mentioned above, so I see little sense including them on the CD for everyone, when they would probably only be used by a very small subset of Mint users.

All of which is true but I thought it couldn't hurt to ask :) Also for photographers it is IMO an essential tool that is not very well known.
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by belovedmonster »

lagagnon summed it perfectly. The application you mention is simply too niche to warrant inclusion.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”