[Suggestion] Add an option to change the speed of the wheel of the mouse

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
hbth652SD

[Suggestion] Add an option to change the speed of the wheel of the mouse

Post by hbth652SD »

Every time that I install Linux Mint or Ubuntu, the speed of the scroll wheel is very slow. This has happened to me in 2 computers and is not easy to beginners to change the speed. It should be an option in Linux Mint configuration to change that without installing anything. Thanks for this great distro, keep the work :D
ricardogroetaers
Level 6
Level 6

Re: [Suggestion] Add an option to change the speed of the wheel of the mouse

Post by ricardogroetaers »

Good sugestion.
Perhaps the developers of the graphic environments did not remember that the mouse currently has a wheel.
tekknj
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tekknj »

So true. And I know there is a third party program out there that is suppose to be a solution, but it is a pain to configure and doesn't operate that well. This scroll speed is a show stopper for me. It's just as bad as the desktop scaling issues.
MattyWS
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MattyWS »

+1 to this. I did end up using IMWheel to configure my mouse wheel but honestly it should be a setting. I I have to duckduckgo how to change my mouse wheel speed thats already a fail in the UX but to have to install IM Wheel, then copy code into the text editor and run it is pretty net level unnecessary to me.

That said, mouse settings in general would be nice, cursor speed, dpi, mouse wheel speed etc.
gt4w4al
Level 3
Level 3

Post by gt4w4al »

+1
I am also a new comer, and I don't want to spend time and create a file for something like this.
It's a shame because Mint is quite really good and easy to use.
I hope it will come soon !
Aztaroth
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Aztaroth »

The scrolling speed is often an in-built feature of many apps. So, it's not related to LM but the way the apps manage scrolling. Let's take Firefox as our illustrative example :
- in the Edit / Preference Menu, General, Browsing there is a Use smooth scrolling check box. Scrolling is a bit faster when unchecked.
- if this isn't satisfactory, fine-tuning can be done in about:config :
mousewheel.acceleration.start is set by default to -1 (disabled). Enable is 0, which also enables the mousewheel.acceleration.factor to be taken in account and eventually changed.

The LM team cannot take such hidden things in account, especially as they may change as often as Mozilla says.
dual boot LMDE4 (mostly) + LM19.3 Cinnamon (sometimes)
mattlach
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mattlach »

This has been a frustration of mine as well.

The imwheel solution technically works, but movement is very jerky, so it is not a real solution. Nor are the a about:config settings in Firefox as mentioned in this thread. It results in very difficult to control acceleration.

It is highly hardware dependent. Some mice play very nice in Mint, but others do not. The one I have for my laptop is one of the latter.
Aztaroth wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:27 pm The LM team cannot take such hidden things in account, especially as they may change as often as Mozilla says.
I wonder how Microsoft accomplishes this in windows. The same mouse has none of these problems in windows.
Corsair 1000D, Threadripper 3960x, Asus ROG Zenith II, 64GB, Samsung 990 Pro, Geforce RTX 4090, 42" LG C3, 2x Dell U2412M, Schiit Bifrost Multibit DAC
Server: AMD EPYC 7543(32C/64T), SuperMicro H12SSL-NT, 512GB RAM, 192TB ZFS
aussieJoe12
Level 1
Level 1

Post by aussieJoe12 »

+1 for mouse wheel settings.

I recently installed LM 20.3 and was surprised the mouse wheel still isnt supported. I'm grateful for a great OS, and I use imwheel for the mouse wheel but was surprised. It would be nice if this was a setting in the mouse settings. Having said that, I dont know how you could easily make a setting for mouse wheel given my imwheelrc file has different settings for different applications.
pkcinna
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pkcinna »

Given many people use a mouse, one might assume the defaults would be similar to other operating systems for wheel speed and that there would be a standard way to adjust it. IMWheel is a hassle and it may impact subtle behaviors in misc apps like VirtualBox VM.
xdrone
Level 1
Level 1

Post by xdrone »

How many replies are needed to get this feature made?
The Muffin Man
Level 5
Level 5

Post by The Muffin Man »

My mouse wheel works just fine with Linux Mint 21 XFCE.
"Go ahead. I don't shop here."
OhioGuy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by OhioGuy »

I would like to request a setting to adjust mouse scroll speed as well. I have a standard Microsoft mouse, and was surprised that I could adjust clicks and speed of movement, but that the default setting for the scroll wheel is so very, very slow that it's annoying, and there is no setting to adjust it.

So I would like to add my request to the others who have asked for this.
cybericius
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cybericius »

+1... pretty amateur thing imho.
But I think it would be very problematic to do it, as vendors handle it differently. Let's take my Logitech Unifier, it is not easily configurable - doesn't have that imwheel parameter that would be needed. Also, somewhere scrolls well, in the browser it is too slow, and again, somewhere jumps too much.
pkcinna
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pkcinna »

This seems like more than an annoying oversight. It is common sense that a mouse is commonly used to interface with Linux Mint and it should be fully configurable like all other major operating systems. The default speed should be comparable to other OSs. The mouse wheel script wastes everyone's time and causes issues with VirtualBox. Better late than never!
maxtog
Level 1
Level 1

Post by maxtog »

I have to add a "me too" to this thread, as well. Just posted this: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=388448 about QT apps like Okular. I can't find any way to control this. It is reasonable to expect that Mint users will encounter and make use of QT apps and need to configure the scrolling there as well (and I can't find a way; thought the q5ct would do it, but nope).
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

Post by gittiest personITW »

Yes. That would be appreciated.
Imwheel does the job though but for people coming to Mint it is an added hassle.
Ebere
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Ebere »

It would be very appreciated.

I wish I could adjust how many lines it jumps hen you use the scroll wheel.

I listen to an audio book, and read the text at the same time. (Don't ask me to make sense of that habit. LOL)

All factors taken into consideration, because of the size of he text box, etc, when I scroll, the text jumps minimum of 5 lines, and sometimes 7. That puts text I am still reading, (in time with the audio), off the screen at the top.

I need the text to jump a maximum of three lines. But I cannot find anywhere to adjust this. And none of the adjustments that are available, have made any difference.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do absolutely nothing for him in return." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)
billyswong
Level 8
Level 8

Post by billyswong »

The problem here is, scroll wheel don't really instruct the application to scroll for a certain amount. What happened behind the scene for most mainstream mouse is, with each "tick" of scrolling, it generates a mouse click event for the wheel-rolling-up or wheel-rolling-down button. Software underneath are free to interpret the mouse event as they wish. If Windows get a consistent mouse wheel scroll speed setting globally, it is only because traditionally most Windows applications use the same UI toolkits provided by Microsoft and Microsoft can control them for sure.

Now back to Linux. Most GUI software in Linux Mint are rendered by GTK. And GTK is *not* famous for its customizability.
billyswong
Level 8
Level 8

Post by billyswong »

mattlach wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:42 am Nor are the a about:config settings in Firefox as mentioned in this thread. It results in very difficult to control acceleration.
You may try tuning mousewheel.system_scroll_override.horizontal.factor and mousewheel.system_scroll_override.vertical.factor instead. They tune the scroll speed directly and may be better for you.
Ebere
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Ebere »

billyswong wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:41 am
mattlach wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:42 am Nor are the a about:config settings in Firefox as mentioned in this thread. It results in very difficult to control acceleration.
You may try tuning mousewheel.system_scroll_override.horizontal.factor and mousewheel.system_scroll_override.vertical.factor instead. They tune the scroll speed directly and may be better for you.
Thank you.

That did it for me.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do absolutely nothing for him in return." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”