Ubuntu-Backports repository as an apt-source by default

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
Rovanion

Ubuntu-Backports repository as an apt-source by default

Post by Rovanion »

So this is my idea for a blueprint: To use Ubuntu-Backports as a default repository.
The reason why this should be implemented is that most users will want to update their Firefox browser from 3.0 to 3.5 when the new version is being released. Most users want the to use the newest release of Kdenlive to edit video and not the one year old package that is in the Universal repository.

There is also another problem that comes with this freezing of the repository. Kompozer, the web editor equal to Dreamweaver, crashes when any of the File/Archive menues are used. This is the "stable" package that was shipped with Karmic Koala. The crash is due to that 9.04 has a newer version of Gtk+ than what the old Kompozer package in the universal repository was designed for. The crash has been fixed long veeery long ago but since the package is locked, hence the name stable, with the release of Karmic everyone who want's to try out the application will have it crashing on them.

So this is a two part issue which can be solved by enabeling Ubuntu-Backports by default which provides newer versions of applications that are not updated in the official repositories. The whole project is crowdsourced where users request an application to be updated in Ubuntu-Backports and then it's packaged, tested against all the rest of the repository and one or two weeks after the request, if the packages are working and all, the package is included in the repository. Read more here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuBackports

Here's the Blueprint on Launchpad: https://blueprints.launchpad.net/linuxm ... by-default

So what do you think? Should this be included. I personally think it solves a lot of problems for people who are new to the system. Having to add a PPA for each application you want to update trough a terminal is what I would call a major papercut for the new Mint user.
DrHu

Re: Ubuntu-Backports repository as an apt-source by default

Post by DrHu »

Rovanion wrote:So this is my idea for a blueprint: To use Ubuntu-Backports as a default repository.
The reason why this should be implemented is that most users will want to update their Firefox browser from 3.0 to 3.5
The backports purpose is to fix problems that some users may have, it is not meant as a default position for everyone (we won't all have any or all of the same problems with an installation)

I think it is a bad idea, and even PPA repositories in themselves, even if people need them occasionally are also not a great idea, we have no way of knowing if any of those uploads are vetted in any way.
--it's maybe not as bad as the windows wild west of freeware, but possibly just as risky.
  • Backports is an official Ubuntu repository and maintained by knowledgeable Ubuntu developers who are often present on IRC and other communications media. But note that software in backports will not receive review or updates from the Ubuntu security team itself.
Whether or not most users will.. and I don't think that is true, most users being satisfied with the stability and care that applications taken when applications are made available in the repository

This is why most Linux distributions do not allow Mozilla About/check for updates to function to enable a user to update the application(s) for themselves: doing so takes control away from the distribution and puts it into the hands of anyone, not just responsible developers like Mozilla (Firefox)
Rovanion wrote:So what do you think? Should this be included. I personally think it solves a lot of problems for people who are new to the system. Having to add a PPA for each application you want to update trough a terminal is what I would call a major papercut for the new Mint user.
I think, NO

Having to add a PPA for each application you want to update..
Not necessarily done via a terminal, although that is certainly the quickest method
And having to choose, does put the user in charge (of their system), giving them the choice, whether or not they really need to update an application
--I don't see the burden.
Rovanion

Re: Ubuntu-Backports repository as an apt-source by default

Post by Rovanion »

Well personally I do not think that the user are satisfied with the stability that is. There are obvious problems.
Stability actually means that the repository will never be updated. And in the case of for example Kdenlive or Kompozer that means that the application will crash if you use even the simplest functions because when the repository was "stabalized" the packages are not actually looked trough to make sure that they work.
It's the same thing as with the release candidates of Ubuntu, if it installs it goes out the door.

Ubuntu-Backports provides more stability in the real sense of the word which is that your applications will work.

The Ubuntu way of adding PPAs to you collection does not work in Linux Mint. And even tough you may to it trough Synaptic all the handy user guides that are provided at the project sites are made for Ubuntu and the Ubuntu way of doing it. Thus leaving the user looking for that interface which isn't present in Linux Mint and then the newcommer will have to go into the scary world of white text against black background.

Don't get me wrong. My favourite way of doing many things, such as adding a PPA, is trough the terminal. But new users are generally scared of this interface, no matter of how irrational it is. It's like being scared of spiders I suppose.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”