Stickey keys status applet

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
  • Only post ideas here that are specifically about the Linux Mint distribution or its websites.
  • So that developers and users from any distribution can discuss ideas in one place, post ideas about improving software to the collaboration website for that software instead.
ColJep
Level 1
Level 1

Stickey keys status applet

Post by ColJep »

Due to a stroke I have the use of only one arm and need to use Sticky keys. One thing that I would really like is a small applet in the taskbar to show which sticky keys are activated. If you have no visual feedback when using sticky keys you often get some VERY STRANGE effects happening. Sometimes fun but mostly frustrating and getting back to the no keys activated state can be a challenge.

I realize that this is irrelevant for most people but for those who must use sticky keys it would be a godsend.

I am new to Mint but really like what I see.

Colin
DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Stickey keys status applet

Post by DrHu »

The Gnome panel, has an indicator applet, so that might be one to indicate a change of state of keys, I use one for keyboard layouts (Keyboard indicator); for different languages/spelling..

I don't use them, accessibility modes (sticky) keys, but in Gnome desktop (Linux mint 7 main edition)
right-click>Add to Panel>{Dwell click, Keyboard Accessibility Status}, seem to be the two options to show or change preferences from the gnome panel, default at the bottom of the screen in Linux mint 7
--all of those options are also available in the control center

You might prefer to create a launcher or add one to the Gnome panel, to run whichever feature your are trying to make use of..
right-
  • click Gnome panel>Add to panel>Custom Application launcher
There might also be some better themes (desktop look/style) for accessibility features..
--but that is obviously mainly for visuals..

In terminal, check
  • apt search accessibility
    p gnome-accessibility - The GNOME desktop environment -- accessibi
    p gnome-accessibility-themes - accessibility themes for the GNOME 2 deskt
    p gnome-accessibility-themes-extr - accessibility themes for the GNOME 2 deskt
Gnome plans; roadmaps for those features..
http://live.gnome.org/Accessibility
ColJep
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ColJep »

Unfortunately the applet you are suggesting only opens up the accessibility panel which will allow you to change the features you use.
It gives no indication of the actual state of the keys. It also does not actually show itś own place on the panel. :-)
The first time I tried that I added it about 5 times to the panel before I found it by accident. :-)
ColJep
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ColJep »

I see the button to open the accessibility programs/applets has appeared in the task bar. This is welcome because you can turn them off if someone else is using your computer. Previously if I tried to add this button it was not visible.

EDIT: This button has gone again and when I tried to put it back it was invisible again.
I also cannot get any sound when a modifier key is pressed in Helena. I think all these problems are part of the Gnome desktop rather than Mint.

Return to “Suggestions & New Ideas”