Advice quality

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
Peter Linu
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Advice quality

Post by Peter Linu »

Rene,
I pride myself on being more computer-literate than most of my friends and colleagues in spite of my 74 years. What I am trying to do is marshal the considerable intellectual property available in this forum for the common good.
As an example of my frustration, please go to a topic I started in Software named: 'Server Selection'. My English is impeccable and the reply is also impeccable. So the problem is not misinterpretation. The person has been a forum member for longer than I so it's not lack of experience. He is answering a problem that I didn't ask and worse still; NOT giving me an answer that I initially asked for. In recent times this behaviour has happened frequently and the culprits are usually noobs, or very young. If I complain, I am shouted down. How is this helpful?
Cinnamon 21.3 Thinkcentre M920Q + 2 Thinkpad T440p (modded) + Lenovo Y50-70 (all have VBs) + 2 PC NAS drives w XFCE21.2 + Q4OS-32bit on ASUS Atom (2011) + Asus UX305F-64bit
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Well, that referred to thread points to a not yet mentioned but also quite relevant aspect here; you in that one taking some form of supplier/customer relationship for granted and in this one specifically wanting to introduce that form of relationship. In the Linux world generally and certainly on this forum specifically no such relationship exists and it is not a given that you are in some way entitled to a full and direct answer to your question. Sure, as a matter of general courtesy somewhat entitled to some form of relevant answer but that's in fact exactly what you got. Admittedly rather minus the dot-file thing (...) I'd even call it generally good advise: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=358943

The question you asked was in essence already off-topic and at the very least in the specific forum it was posted into, a Linux Mint forum. But okay, this forum being generally not all that uptight, okay-ish, but it's then certainly to be classified a more general question, and you just don't get to complain about receiving a more general answer as well. This then combines with my previous post; you not in fact stating why and in what context "dedicated server software" would/could potentially help you with what if any problem meaning that anyone who'd answer not generally would first be milking you for information as to context of the question.

Basically then what I'm telling you is that if answers you get to questions you ask suck it is because your questions suck. And see? That's why open source dynamics are very different from the normal supplier/customer relationship dynamics; over here we get to insult people that an e.g. Microsoft Windows support technician only wants to insult. Not for everyone...

I'll otherwise leave this thread be by the way; it hasn't been going anywhere from the start.
ivar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ivar »

Peter Linu wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:08 am Ivar,
Imagine a world where this wouldn't be necessary. Imagine a forum where people's status was well defined. Imagine a world where information needed was supplied promptly with a minimum of fuss. Imagine a world where people without knowledge were not considered equal in ability as experts.
as said, elsewhere in this thread, who should assign this status, and how should it be done ?
I think I prefer things the way they are, where I can decide for myself
Peter Linu
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Peter Linu »

Spoken like a true child of the current generation. You'd prefer most-probably incorrect information and prefer to be free to select it than get plain, simple and correct information from a senior member.
Out of interest, have you had 2 Covid19 jabs yet?
Cinnamon 21.3 Thinkcentre M920Q + 2 Thinkpad T440p (modded) + Lenovo Y50-70 (all have VBs) + 2 PC NAS drives w XFCE21.2 + Q4OS-32bit on ASUS Atom (2011) + Asus UX305F-64bit
DPM
Level 4
Level 4

Post by DPM »

Peter Linu wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:33 amAs an example of my frustration, please go to a topic I started in Software named: 'Server Selection'.
Your question was pretty much garbage. "Server software" is such a broad area that your question was totally meaningless. That's why you got a vague answer. Also, Mint isn't a popular option for servers in the first place because the whole point of Mint is a polished desktop experience. Most servers don't even have any monitors attached because that would be useless. Admins don't sit in front of servers, they SSH into them, or use something comparable.

Debian without desktop environment would be a much more logical choice for a server.
Last edited by DPM on Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

Sticking feathers up your butt...does not make you a chicken ( Tyler Durden) :mrgreen:

Also....laughing fat cheek babies.

Finally ...NEVER get " on" the plane if you must use an airplane for travel. Get IN the plane. Let Evel Knievel get ON the plane if he wants. ;)
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
Peter Linu
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Peter Linu »

DPM,
...then why were two forum members able to give me the advice that I was looking for? (server software not required. Stick with XFCE).

Motoryzen,
Sorry, don't get the two gags.
DPM
Level 4
Level 4

Post by DPM »

Peter Linu wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:22 pm...then why were two forum members able to give me the advice that I was looking for?
Because there's always an off-chance that someone hits the right spot answering a vague question just by accident, but that requires several shots in the dark, some of which will obviously miss. With a strict policy like on Stackoverflow, your question would have been closed right away.

It's not just advice quality, it starts with question quality. Now, Mint is geared towards bringing Linux to non-tech people, and that's great because it allowed me to migrate several non-IT family members from Windows to Linux. With that target audience, loose questions are to be expected. Many questions here would be moderated away e.g. in the Debian forum because people here routinely fail to read and follow the instructions how to get help.
Peter Linu
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Peter Linu »

I don't see where my question is vague. It's certainly open-ended, allowing all sorts of answers...but then I don't need to justify or defend my position...
DPM
Level 4
Level 4

Post by DPM »

Peter Linu wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:53 pmI don't see where my question is vague.
"Dedicated server software for storage" is such a broad category that your question was meaningless. If you don't understand why, then I hate it to break to you, but you simply have no idea at all about servers. That's also why you came up with the idea of using Mint for servers in the first place. It's also why you complain about bad advice - because the same cluelessness also keeps you from recognising the situation. Then you came up with even more clueless "ideas" such as allowing forum moderators to do remote connections into people's computers - which also shows that you don't even understand what a forum moderator is.

Pretty much a case of Dunning-Kruger effect: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E ... ger_effect

Once you learn a bit, you will become more competent, and at that stage, you will facepalm at your previous approaches.
Peter Linu
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Peter Linu »

If you don't understand why, then I hate it to break to you, but you simply have no idea at all about servers.
and that's why I posted the question. And I might add that two members (both with longevity rank of 6) understood my question.
DPM
Level 4
Level 4

Post by DPM »

Peter Linu wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:34 pmAnd I might add that two members (both with longevity rank of 6) understood my question.
Asking broad, meaningless questions, relying on luck for someone to answer whatever you might consider as helpful, and then even complaining about the others who missed the lottery, is pretty rude. The problem wasn't the non-matching answers. The problem was your vague question.

Here a tip if you don't know what exactly you need to ask: instead, say what you your goal is, and then ask for tips how to achieve that. So, no open-ended garbage like some random "server software" because storage can as well include some database setup, not just some file server. Describe your use case precisely. That will increase the odds that someone with a similar use case can tell you how he got there.
ivar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ivar »

Peter Linu wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:26 pm
Spoken like a true child of the current generation. You'd prefer most-probably incorrect information and prefer to be free to select it than get plain, simple and correct information from a senior member.
Out of interest, have you had 2 Covid19 jabs yet?
:roll:
your assumptions speaks for themselves here, I think

as for the server thread, it would maybe helped is this question was properly answered:
I cannot recommend any software unless I know what you are trying to accomplish.
Last edited by ivar on Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Linu
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Peter Linu »

I'll accept that.
ricardogroetaers
Level 6
Level 6

Post by ricardogroetaers »

karlchen wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:12 pm The term expert is not a very well-defined term....
An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:50 am
HaveaMint wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:43 am "May I suggest that the signature contains a sign (* or colour change or ?) to signify an expert...
Please, not a color change! Many people are color blind.
That is a FACT:

another fact, 50 percent of the Male population is Color Blind to some extent.....
look it up.

I am one of those, you start to bury text in PINK or pale RED and I will never see it..
Fact of Life....

Stoplights: The RED ONE is on TOP in every state of the USA, most likely in other countries also, but I have no way of knowing that.

the middle light is Yellow, it looks WHITE to me...

the Bottom Light is GREEN, it fades into the Sunset, and I know it must be green because ALL OF THE LIGHTS HAVE DISAPPEARED.... :shock:

So, screw that color change idea.
this forum works just fine, the way it is.

I can see green on this forum, because it is a Solid Mat of color, enough that my eyes know it must be green because all of you tell me it is so. I see darker shades of it.

but a green car looks BROWN to me, ask my family and they will tell you that is a FACT.

How can I mow the grass?
Well, the strip I just passed is shorter than the uncut grass next to it, but is it brown or green?

ADVICE:

I am far from being totally Linux qualified, 99% of the answers I provide come from my NOTEBOOK...
I have a Memory Deficiency courtesy of a Semi Truck that needed my lane of travel, the crash destroyed my Hypothalamus gland, which destroyed my balance and body Temperature control...

a severe concussion on the frontal lobe took care of the Memory cells, I can remember something, almost long enough to write it down, maybe... that is why I keep a Notebook.

leave this forum alone, we are all VOLUNTEERS, no one is paid a dime, not even the moderators....
I know that, because I am the Administrator of another forum, I do it because I enjoy it...
if it becomes a headache, I will retire from the Internet, and someone, might miss my input, maybe...

Accident 94SE.jpg
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
DPM
Level 4
Level 4

Post by DPM »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:50 amPlease, not a color change! Many people are color blind.
That's why it's a basic accessibility guideline (e.g. WCAG) to never convey meaning through colour alone, but also use additional cues such as different wording (YES / NO in red / green), different symbols (e.g. checkmarks in green and crosses in red for checklists), or sufficient contrast.
AZgl1500 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:28 amit must be green because ALL OF THE LIGHTS HAVE DISAPPEARED
That sounds pretty dangerous in case the whole traffic light just doesn't work, in which case the priority is usually indicated by backup stationary traffic signs that can be priority or yield. Mistaking the latter for a green traffic light looks like an accident waiting to happen.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

DPM wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:16 am ...
AZgl1500 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:28 amit must be green because ALL OF THE LIGHTS HAVE DISAPPEARED
That sounds pretty dangerous in case the whole traffic light just doesn't work, in which case the priority is usually indicated by backup stationary traffic signs that can be priority or yield. Mistaking the latter for a green traffic light looks like an accident waiting to happen.
I can't always tell if a flashing traffic light is red or yellow so I just treat both as flashing red lights. It might P.O. someone behind me but they will survive and get over it.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:35 am
I can't always tell if a flashing traffic light is red or yellow so I just treat both as flashing red lights. It might P.O. someone behind me but they will survive and get over it.
Can't you tell by position? All the traffic lights I have ever seen have red at the top, amber in the middle, and green at the bottom.
Cliff Coggin
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

cliffcoggin wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:09 pm
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:35 am
Can't you tell by position? All the traffic lights I have ever seen have red at the top, amber in the middle, and green at the bottom.
Not when there is only one light. Some rural intersections have a single flashing red light, for example, a north/south road, and a single flashing yellow light for the east/west road crossing it.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”