[Suggestion] Add new option to LM installer: just Cinnamon DE

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
ricardogroetaers
Level 6
Level 6

Re: [Suggestion] Add new option to LM installer: just Cinnamon DE

Post by ricardogroetaers »

cstamas wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:56 pm Re video translation: right lower you have a CC icon, click on it. Then the gear icon next to it, and set Auto-Translate and choose Portuguese. I tried with Hungarian, and it translated just nicely. Try it out!
Thanks, it took me a while but I got the subtitles translated.
Unfortunately I couldn't understand what Linus was trying to explain, too technical perhaps.

Note: Mint's Libre Office is already in the correct language, no problem.
Michael_Hathaway
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Michael_Hathaway »

I started writing another post install script to remove/add programs, but I realized there are only a handful of things I would change. I think the Mint team did an excellent job in putting the right programs and tools into Mint. My business computers all use LMDE, so it is likely I would find little use for this anyway.
Enterprise Dual Xeon 8081 (112) @3.8Ghz, 16TB NVMe Raid, 387Gb ECC, AMD Pro W7700 16Gb
Debian Support. Deb 12/13 Trixie 6.7.9
cstamas
Level 2
Level 2

Post by cstamas »

Sure, as this is a suggestion for Cinnamon Edition (to get Cinnamon DE "only"). Quite equivalent would be "MATE only" and "XFCE only" :) (if they have flatpak integration in similar way as Cinnamon has to pull desktop apps from).

Unsure for LMDE edition, but am really curious and will try it once, as myself don't foresee any good in future, as Ubuntu is aggressively pushing snapd more and more, while Cinnamon refuses to use it (and I completely agree with this decision).

And yes, I agree with your statement about excellent job done by LM team. But, there is always room for improvement ;)

Btw, you are LMDE user: does it have flatpak and works in same/similar way as on Cinnamon Edition?
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

Michael_Hathaway wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:13 am
I didn't push the subject. Instead I started writing a script that would just remove everything I didn't want. I got busy and never finished it. Now I just throw hardware at it and try not to be annoyed with the bloat I don't use. :wink:
I have to ask what "bloat" really?
I mean this machine running Mint 19 for over 2 years now has a / (root) partition of just over 8 GB.

Code: Select all

Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev            3.9G     0  3.9G   0% /dev
tmpfs           787M  1.6M  785M   1% /run
/dev/sda1        19G  8.2G  9.2G  47% /
And that's with nothing default removed, and all this added.

brasero
cheese
chromium-browser
glabels
gnote
google-earth-ver-7.1.8.3036
gparted
higan
kazam
kodi
ksnip
mame
meld
multisystem
mupen64plus
openshot
openssh-server
quicksynergy
screenfetch
smplayer
systemback
virtualbox
vlc
vokoscreen
xfburn
youtube-dl
Among others mostly games.

Compare that with the last windows I used, Vista which had hogged up some 30+ GB. I also have a windows 10 that came as a "clean" install on my T450, and that uses over 36 GB ( I installed a second SSD for Linux, and made it first boot device on that machine).
Point being Linux Mint uses less than a quarter of what windows does with extra software, so how can it be called bloat. I do agree I "could" uninstall some packages, fonts for sure, but what's the point ?
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
Michael_Hathaway
Level 4
Level 4

We can sit here and argue back and forth about what each other defines as bloat. Some people don't want anything on their installs and want to load from scratch. "Just Cinnamon" is what the OP asked for I believe. Yes, it is easy to sit there and uninstall packages, but an uninstall script will do this work for you while you fix a cup of coffee. And it is too much work for the already taxed Mint Team to create another package for a few people.

The current install was carefully adjusted to fit the average user's needs and IMO, I think it is fine as-is for a daily driver. But that is just my opinion in a sea of opinions.

I couldn't find my original work, but I began writing a new script to remove everything. If only a couple people find use in it, then so be it. Arguing about whether or not such a thing should exist is just opposing or defending someone else's opinion. Everyone has different opinions on artwork, but that doesn't mean the artwork should be destroyed, just don't look at it. If you don't want or like the script, don't use it. :wink:
Enterprise Dual Xeon 8081 (112) @3.8Ghz, 16TB NVMe Raid, 387Gb ECC, AMD Pro W7700 16Gb
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

cstamas wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:44 am And as a sub-question: is system fully functional (in your sense) if user at install does NOT check the codecs checkbox?
You'd probably be surprised what little difference it would make for most people.
Mint 20 with no extra codecs installed will play youtube videos, It plays .avi, .mp4 videos, it plays .mp3, .wav, .oga files, and I expect a few more, but those are the more common ones anyway.
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

Michael_Hathaway wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:13 am
cstamas wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:34 am Would be cool, if there would be an option in installer (just like there is one for 3rd party codecs), to install "Just Cinnamon DE".
You are not alone here. I asked for a stripped down server version of Mint three or so years ago. I was told "NO". Haha. :D

I didn't push the subject. Instead I started writing a script that would just remove everything I didn't want. I got busy and never finished it. Now I just throw hardware at it and try not to be annoyed with the bloat I don't use. :wink:
I agree with Michael here - and we are just skinning the cat (read getting rid of "bloat") in different ways. I don't install the bloat in the first place because I start with a bare bones Debian .iso with zero apps - NONE. And yes Michael is also right in that we can argue forever as to the definition of bloat - for me it's apps I don't want/need and Mint comes with tons of them - even Cinnamon comes with some unwanted "recommended" packages.

cstamas while I agree in theory and have in fact gone down the same road - precisely the point of Mint is - you install it and go - pretty much everything is there and if it's not you can probably install from the package manager. That is why Mint is so popular. Mint users typically don't want what we want - a bare bones system with just Cinnamon that we build on.

From another thread:
majpooper wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:53 pm
Hoser Rob wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:12 am Debian may have been easy to instvall but it's a terrible distro for beginners. It's intended for serious Linux geeks who know what they're doing, and in the Debian support forum they do not do newbie hand holding. If you ask the typical sort of beginner question you see here or on ubuntuforums.org, they will generally just suggest you install ubuntu or mint instead.
+1 I have to agree wit Hoser Rob on this. I have created a few uniquely configured Debian installs. Presently I am running Debian 11/Cinnamon. I started with a bare-bones Debian netinstl minimum CD (no apps) and only installed what I wanted/needed to include the wm, dm etc. and some system utilities. This definitely is not for beginners but is a very worthwhile exercise for those wanting to build an OS tailored exactly to their needs.

System:    Host: 1150z Kernel: 5.10.0-8-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: Cinnamon 4.8.6 Distro: Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)

I also built a Debian 11/ICEwm (the windows manager is the DE) which was super light but took a little research to get it up an running. Light for sure if you don't mind a 90s DE.

To Hoser Rob's point the Debian forum is not nearly as helpful or friendly as this forum. Although I did get some good help from "Head-on-a-stick" with ICEwm. But I got more help with Debian from PMing a few members of the Mint forum than I got from the Debian forum. Also keep in mind Debian by itself is not nearly as popular as Mint so their forum does not get nearly the participation that the Mint forum gets.
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

Michael_Hathaway wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:28 pm We can sit here and argue back and forth about what each other defines as bloat.
Who's arguing with who ? I asked what "bloat", and since you didn't address that, I'm still asking.

FWIW I just looked through the all apps list, I could get rid of redshift (430K), and blueberry (2M), those are about the only 2 things I don't use. Hardly worth worrying about though as the pair only use about the space of one mp3. As many people do use bluetooth devices, I don't consider blueberry as bloat.

Techopedia's definitions of bloatware
"Bloatware is software that has unnecessary features that use large amounts of memory and RAM. Software comes to be known as bloatware when it becomes so unwieldy that its functionality is drowned out by its useless features. This is also known as software bloat.

Bloatware is also a slang term for numerous programs that are pre-installed on new PCs. Many of these programs are "lite" or limited trial versions designed to entice new users to buy or subscribe to the full-featured versions. "

Yes I know what the OP asked for, but it seems their biggest bug is LO, it wouldn't take long to ditch that one package.
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

majpooper wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:46 pm
I have a couple of Arch installs, as you probably know they start out with not so much as a DE, You install only what you want, when you want it, it runs on 350MB (with system monitor running), a little less than half of this Mint, but that is certainly not for everyone either.
ss211020-231739.jpg
Michael_Hathaway
Level 4
Level 4

If you were to build from vanilla Debian, then you might think that Mint is crazy from that point of view. Ok, so from the point of view of a minimalist, will be different than the average user in regards to bloat. I can literally strip everything out that isn't required to run the os. I am not sure I am going to do that though. I wish it was just one or two packages to strip, I wouldn't have to write a script.

There are 2022 packages installed on Cinnamon Edge 20.2. I would list them all in this post, but there are 425,464 characters, over 7 times what is allowed. You can see a list of them and their description with this command:

sudo dpkg-query -l | less

I think I can write one script that will work for both Cinnamon Mintbuntu and LMDE. Having a stripped down LMDE would be really great. But I don't want to get ahead of myself.
Michael_Hathaway
Level 4
Level 4

* accountsservice -> query and manipulate user account information             
 * acl -> access control list - utilities 
 * acpi-support -> scripts for handling many ACPI events 
 * acpid -> Advanced Configuration and Power Interface event daemon 
 * add-apt-key -> Command line tool to add GPG keys to the APT keyring 
 * adduser -> add and remove users and groups 
 * adwaita-icon-theme -> default icon theme of GNOME (small subset) 
 * adwaita-icon-theme-full -> default icon theme of GNOME 
 * alsa-base -> ALSA driver configuration files 
 * alsa-utils -> Utilities for configuring and using ALSA 
 * amd64-microcode -> Processor microcode firmware for AMD CPUs 
 * anacron -> cron-like program that doesn't go by time 
 * apg -> Automated Password Generator - Standalone version 
 * app-install-data -> Ubuntu applications (data files) 
 * apparmor -> user-space parser utility for AppArmor 
 * appstream -> Software component metadata management 
 * apt -> commandline package manager 
 * apt-clone -> Script to create state bundles 
 * apt-utils -> package management related utility programs 
 * aptdaemon -> transaction based package management service 
 * aptdaemon-data -> data files for clients 
 * aptitude -> terminal-based package manager 
 * aptitude-common -> architecture independent files for the aptitude package manager 
 * apturl -> install packages using the apt protocol - GTK+ frontend 
 * apturl-common -> install packages using the apt protocol - common data 
 * archdetect-deb -> Hardware architecture detector 
 * aspell -> GNU Aspell spell-checker 
 * aspell-en -> English dictionary for GNU Aspell 
 * at-spi2-core -> Assistive Technology Service Provider Interface (dbus core) 
 * attr -> utilities for manipulating filesystem extended attributes 
 * avahi-autoipd -> Avahi IPv4LL network address configuration daemon 
 * avahi-daemon -> Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD daemon 
 * avahi-utils -> Avahi browsing, publishing and discovery utilities 
 * baobab -> GNOME disk usage analyzer 
 * base-files -> Debian base system miscellaneous files 
 * base-passwd -> Debian base system master password and group files 
 * bash -> GNU Bourne Again SHell 
 * bash-completion -> programmable completion for the bash shell 
 * bc -> GNU bc arbitrary precision calculator language 
 * bind9-dnsutils -> Clients provided with BIND 9 
 * bind9-host -> DNS Lookup Utility 
 * blueberry -> A configuration tool for Bluetooth 
 * bluetooth -> Bluetooth support 
 * bluez -> Bluetooth tools and daemons 
 * bluez-cups -> Bluetooth printer driver for CUPS 
 * bluez-obexd -> bluez obex daemon 
 * bluez-tools -> Set of tools to manage Bluetooth devices for linux 
 * bolt -> system daemon to manage thunderbolt 3 devices 
 * brltty -> Access software for a blind person using a braille display 
 * bsdmainutils -> collection of more utilities from FreeBSD 
 * bsdutils -> basic utilities from 4.4BSD-Lite 
 * btrfs-progs -> Checksumming Copy on Write Filesystem utilities 
 * bubblewrap -> setuid wrapper for unprivileged chroot and namespace manipulation 
 * bulky -> Bulk Renamer 
 * busybox-initramfs -> Standalone shell setup for initramfs 
 * busybox-static -> Standalone rescue shell with tons of builtin utilities 
 * bzip2 -> high-quality block-sorting file compressor - utilities 
 * ca-certificates -> Common CA certificates 
 * ca-certificates-java -> Common CA certificates (JKS keystore) 
 * cabextract -> Microsoft Cabinet file unpacker 
 * caribou -> Configurable on screen keyboard with scanning mode 
 * casper -> Run a "live" preinstalled system from read-only media 
 * catdoc -> text extractor for MS-Office files 
 * celluloid -> simple GTK+ frontend for mpv 
 * cifs-utils -> Common Internet File System utilities 
 * cinnamon -> Modern Linux desktop 
 * cinnamon-common -> Cinnamon desktop (Common data files) 
 * cinnamon-control-center -> utilities to configure the Cinnamon desktop 
 * cinnamon-control-center-data -> configuration applets for Cinnamon - data files 
 * cinnamon-control-center-dbg -> utilities to configure the Cinnamon desktop - debug symbols 
 * cinnamon-dbg -> Debugging symbols for the Cinnamon desktop 
 * cinnamon-desktop-data -> Common files for Cinnamon desktop apps 
 * cinnamon-l10n -> Translation files for the Cinnamon desktop 
 * cinnamon-screensaver -> Cinnamon screen saver and locker 
 * cinnamon-session -> Cinnamon Session Manager - Minimal runtime 
 * cinnamon-session-common -> Cinnamon Session Manager - common files 
 * cinnamon-settings-daemon -> daemon handling the Cinnamon session settings 
 * cjs -> Mozilla-based javascript bindings for the Cinnamon platform 
 * colord -> system service to manage device colour profiles -- system daemon 
 * colord-data -> system service to manage device colour profiles -- data files 
 * command-not-found -> Suggest installation of packages in interactive bash sessions 
 * console-setup -> console font and keymap setup program 
 * console-setup-linux -> Linux specific part of console-setup 
 * coreutils -> GNU core utilities 
 * cpio -> GNU cpio -- a program to manage archives of files 
 * cpp -> GNU C preprocessor (cpp) 
 * cpp-9 -> GNU C preprocessor 
 * cracklib-runtime -> runtime support for password checker library cracklib2 
 * crda -> wireless Central Regulatory Domain Agent 
 * cron -> process scheduling daemon 
 * cryptsetup -> disk encryption support - startup scripts 
 * cryptsetup-bin -> disk encryption support - command line tools 
 * cryptsetup-initramfs -> disk encryption support - initramfs integration 
 * cups -> Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - PPD/driver support, web interface 
 * cups-browsed -> OpenPrinting CUPS Filters - cups-browsed 
 * cups-bsd -> Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - BSD commands 
 * cups-client -> Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - client programs (SysV) 
 * cups-common -> Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - common files 
 * cups-core-drivers -> Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - driverless printing 
 * cups-daemon -> Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - daemon 
 * cups-filters -> OpenPrinting CUPS Filters - Main Package 
 * cups-filters-core-drivers -> OpenPrinting CUPS Filters - Driverless printing 
 * cups-ipp-utils -> Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - IPP developer/admin utilities 
 * cups-pk-helper -> PolicyKit helper to configure cups with fine-grained privileges 
 * cups-ppdc -> Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - PPD manipulation utilities 
 * cups-server-common -> Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - server common files 
 * curl -> command line tool for transferring data with URL syntax 
 * dash -> POSIX-compliant shell 
 * dbus-user-session -> simple interprocess messaging system (systemd --user integration) 
 * dbus-x11 -> simple interprocess messaging system (X11 deps) 
 * dc -> GNU dc arbitrary precision reverse-polish calculator 
 * dconf-cli -> simple configuration storage system - utilities 
 * dcraw -> decode raw digital camera images 
 * dctrl-tools -> Command-line tools to process Debian package information 
 * debconf -> Debian configuration management system 
 * debconf-i18n -> full internationalization support for debconf 
 * debianutils -> Miscellaneous utilities specific to Debian 
 * default-jre -> Standard Java or Java compatible Runtime 
 * default-jre-headless -> Standard Java or Java compatible Runtime (headless) 
 * dialog -> Displays user-friendly dialog boxes from shell scripts 
 * dictionaries-common -> spelling dictionaries - common utilities 
 * diffutils -> File comparison utilities 
 * dirmngr -> GNU privacy guard - network certificate management service 
 * dkms -> Dynamic Kernel Module Support Framework 
 * dmeventd -> Linux Kernel Device Mapper event daemon 
 * dmidecode -> SMBIOS/DMI table decoder 
 * dmraid -> Device-Mapper Software RAID support tool 
 * dmsetup -> Linux Kernel Device Mapper userspace library 
 * dmz-cursor-theme -> Style neutral, scalable cursor theme 
 * dns-root-data -> DNS root data including root zone and DNSSEC key 
 * dnsmasq-base -> Small caching DNS proxy and DHCP/TFTP server 
 * doc-base -> utilities to manage online documentation 
 * docbook-xml -> standard XML documentation system for software and systems 
 * dosfstools -> utilities for making and checking MS-DOS FAT filesystems 
 * dpkg -> Debian package management system 
 * dpkg-dev -> Debian package development tools 
 * dpkg-repack -> Debian package archiving tool 
 * drawing -> Simple application to draw or edit pictures, for the GNOME desktop. 
 * e2fsprogs -> ext2/ext3/ext4 file system utilities 
 * ecryptfs-utils -> ecryptfs cryptographic filesystem (utilities) 
 * ed -> classic UNIX line editor 
 * efibootmgr -> Interact with the EFI Boot Manager 
 * eject -> ejects CDs and operates CD-Changers under Linux 
 * emacsen-common -> Common facilities for all emacsen 
 * enchant-2 -> Wrapper for various spell checker engines (binary programs) 
 * espeak-ng-data -> Multi-lingual software speech synthesizer: speech data files 
 * ethtool -> display or change Ethernet device settings 
 * evolution-data-server -> evolution database backend server 
 * evolution-data-server-common -> architecture independent files for Evolution Data Server 
 * exfat-fuse -> read and write exFAT driver for FUSE 
 * exfat-utils -> utilities to create, check, label and dump exFAT filesystem 
 * exif -> command-line utility to show EXIF information in JPEG files 
 * fakeroot -> tool for simulating superuser privileges 
 * fdisk -> collection of partitioning utilities 
 * ffmpegthumbnailer -> fast and lightweight video thumbnailer 
 * file -> Recognize the type of data in a file using "magic" numbers 
 * file-roller -> archive manager for GNOME 
 * finalrd -> final runtime directory for shutdown 
 * findutils -> utilities for finding files--find, xargs 
 * firefox -> Safe and easy web browser from Mozilla 
 * firefox-locale-en -> English language pack for Firefox 
 * flatpak -> Application deployment framework for desktop apps 
 * folder-color-switcher -> Change a folder color 
 * fontconfig -> generic font configuration library - support binaries 
 * fonts-beng -> Metapackage to install Bengali and Assamese fonts 
 * fonts-beng-extra -> TrueType fonts for Bengali language 
 * fonts-dejavu-core -> Vera font family derivate with additional characters 
 * fonts-deva -> Meta package to install all Devanagari fonts 
 * fonts-deva-extra -> Free fonts for Devanagari script 
 * fonts-droid-fallback -> handheld device font with extensive style and language support (fallback) 
 * fonts-freefont-ttf -> Freefont Serif, Sans and Mono Truetype fonts 
 * fonts-gargi -> OpenType Devanagari font 
 * fonts-gubbi -> Gubbi free font for Kannada script 
 * fonts-gujr -> Meta package to install all Gujarati fonts 
 * fonts-gujr-extra -> Free fonts for Gujarati script 
 * fonts-guru -> Meta package to install all Punjabi fonts 
 * fonts-guru-extra -> Free fonts for Punjabi language 
 * fonts-indic -> Meta package to install all Indian language fonts 
 * fonts-kacst -> KACST free TrueType Arabic fonts 
 * fonts-kacst-one -> TrueType font designed for Arabic language 
 * fonts-kalapi -> Kalapi Gujarati Unicode font 
 * fonts-khmeros-core -> KhmerOS Unicode fonts for the Khmer language of Cambodia 
 * fonts-knda -> Meta package for Kannada fonts 
 * fonts-lao -> TrueType font for Lao language 
 * fonts-liberation -> Fonts with the same metrics as Times, Arial and Courier 
 * fonts-liberation2 -> Fonts with the same metrics as Times, Arial and Courier (v2) 
 * fonts-lklug-sinhala -> Unicode Sinhala font by Lanka Linux User Group 
 * fonts-lohit-beng-assamese -> Lohit TrueType font for Assamese Language 
 * fonts-lohit-beng-bengali -> Lohit TrueType font for Bengali Language 
 * fonts-lohit-deva -> Lohit TrueType font for Devanagari script 
 * fonts-lohit-gujr -> Lohit TrueType font for Gujarati Language 
 * fonts-lohit-guru -> Lohit TrueType font for Punjabi Language 
 * fonts-lohit-knda -> Lohit TrueType font for Kannada Language 
 * fonts-lohit-mlym -> Lohit TrueType font for Malayalam Language 
 * fonts-lohit-orya -> Lohit TrueType font for Oriya Language 
 * fonts-lohit-taml -> Lohit TrueType font for Tamil Language 
 * fonts-lohit-taml-classical -> Lohit Tamil TrueType fonts for Tamil script 
 * fonts-lohit-telu -> Lohit TrueType font for Telugu Language 
 * fonts-mathjax -> JavaScript display engine for LaTeX and MathML (fonts) 
 * fonts-mlym -> Meta package to install all Malayalam fonts 
 * fonts-nakula -> Free Unicode compliant Devanagari font 
 * fonts-navilu -> Handwriting font for Kannada 
 * fonts-noto-cjk -> "No Tofu" font families with large Unicode coverage (CJK regular and bold) 
 * fonts-noto-color-emoji -> color emoji font from Google 
 * fonts-noto-mono -> "No Tofu" monospaced font family with large Unicode coverage 
 * fonts-opensymbol -> OpenSymbol TrueType font 
 * fonts-orya -> Meta package to install all Oriya fonts 
 * fonts-orya-extra -> Free fonts for Odia script 
 * fonts-pagul -> Free TrueType font for the Sourashtra language 
 * fonts-sahadeva -> Free Unicode compliant Devanagari font 
 * fonts-samyak-deva -> Samyak TrueType font for Devanagari script 
 * fonts-samyak-gujr -> Samyak TrueType font for Gujarati language 
 * fonts-samyak-mlym -> Samyak TrueType font for Malayalam language 
 * fonts-samyak-taml -> Samyak TrueType font for Tamil language 
 * fonts-sarai -> truetype font for devanagari script 
 * fonts-sil-abyssinica -> Unicode font for the Ethiopic script 
 * fonts-sil-padauk -> Burmese Unicode TrueType font with OpenType and Graphite support 
 * fonts-smc -> Metapackage for various TrueType fonts for Malayalam Language 
 * fonts-smc-anjalioldlipi -> AnjaliOldLipi malayalam font 
 * fonts-smc-chilanka -> Chilanka malayalam font 
 * fonts-smc-dyuthi -> Dyuthi malayalam font 
 * fonts-smc-gayathri -> Gayathri Malayalam font 
 * fonts-smc-karumbi -> Karumbi malayalam font 
 * fonts-smc-keraleeyam -> Keraleeyam malayalam font 
 * fonts-smc-manjari -> Manjari malayalam font 
 * fonts-smc-meera -> Meera malayalam font 
 * fonts-smc-rachana -> Rachana malayalam font 
 * fonts-smc-raghumalayalamsans -> RaghuMalayalamSans malayalam font 
 * fonts-smc-suruma -> Suruma malayalam font 
 * fonts-smc-uroob -> Uroob malayalam font 
 * fonts-taml -> Meta package to install all Tamil fonts 
 * fonts-telu -> Meta package to install all Telugu fonts 
 * fonts-telu-extra -> Free fonts for Telugu script 
 * fonts-thai-tlwg -> Thai fonts maintained by TLWG (metapackage) 
 * fonts-tibetan-machine -> font for Tibetan, Dzongkha and Ladakhi (OpenType Unicode) 
 * fonts-tlwg-garuda -> Thai Garuda font (dependency package) 
 * fonts-tlwg-garuda-ttf -> Thai Garuda TrueType font 
 * fonts-tlwg-kinnari -> Thai Kinnari font (dependency package) 
 * fonts-tlwg-kinnari-ttf -> Thai Kinnari TrueType font 
 * fonts-tlwg-laksaman -> Thai Laksaman font (dependency package) 
 * fonts-tlwg-laksaman-ttf -> Thai Laksaman TrueType font 
 * fonts-tlwg-loma -> Thai Loma font (dependency package) 
 * fonts-tlwg-loma-ttf -> Thai Loma TrueType font 
 * fonts-tlwg-mono -> Thai TlwgMono font (dependency package) 
 * fonts-tlwg-mono-ttf -> Thai TlwgMono TrueType font 
 * fonts-tlwg-norasi -> Thai Norasi font (dependency package) 
 * fonts-tlwg-norasi-ttf -> Thai Norasi TrueType font 
 * fonts-tlwg-purisa -> Thai Purisa font (dependency package) 
 * fonts-tlwg-purisa-ttf -> Thai Purisa TrueType font 
 * fonts-tlwg-sawasdee -> Thai Sawasdee font (dependency package) 
 * fonts-tlwg-sawasdee-ttf -> Thai Sawasdee TrueType font 
 * fonts-tlwg-typewriter -> Thai TlwgTypewriter font (dependency package) 
 * fonts-tlwg-typewriter-ttf -> Thai TlwgTypewriter TrueType font 
 * fonts-tlwg-typist -> Thai TlwgTypist font (dependency package) 
 * fonts-tlwg-typist-ttf -> Thai TlwgTypist TrueType font 
 * fonts-tlwg-typo -> Thai TlwgTypo font (dependency package) 
 * fonts-tlwg-typo-ttf -> Thai TlwgTypo TrueType font 
 * fonts-tlwg-umpush -> Thai Umpush font (dependency package) 
 * fonts-tlwg-umpush-ttf -> Thai Umpush TrueType font 
 * fonts-tlwg-waree -> Thai Waree font (dependency package) 
 * fonts-tlwg-waree-ttf -> Thai Waree TrueType font 
 * fonts-ubuntu -> sans-serif font set from Ubuntu 
 * fonts-urw-base35 -> font set metric-compatible with the 35 PostScript Level 2 Base Fonts 
 * fonts-yrsa-rasa -> Open-source, libre fonts for Latin + Gujarati 
 * foomatic-db-compressed-ppds -> OpenPrinting printer support - Compressed PPDs derived from the database 
 * fprintd -> D-Bus daemon for fingerprint reader access 
 * friendly-recovery -> Make recovery boot mode more user-friendly 
 * ftp -> classical file transfer client 
 * fuse -> Filesystem in Userspace 
 * fwupd -> Firmware update daemon 
 * fwupd-signed -> Linux Firmware Updater EFI signed binary 
 * gawk -> GNU awk, a pattern scanning and processing language 
 * gcr -> GNOME crypto services (daemon and tools) 
 * gdebi -> simple tool to view and install deb files - GNOME GUI 
 * gdebi-core -> simple tool to install deb files 
 * gdisk -> GPT fdisk text-mode partitioning tool 
 * genisoimage -> Creates ISO-9660 CD-ROM filesystem images 
 * geoclue-2.0 -> geoinformation service 
 * geoip-database -> IP lookup command line tools that use the GeoIP library (country database) 
 * gettext-base -> GNU Internationalization utilities for the base system 
 * ghostscript -> interpreter for the PostScript language and for PDF 
 * ghostscript-x -> interpreter for the PostScript language and for PDF - X11 support 
 * gir1.2-accountsservice-1.0 -> GObject introspection data for AccountService 
 * gir1.2-appindicator3-0.1 -> Typelib files for libappindicator3-1. 
 * gir1.2-appstream-1.0 -> Library to access AppStream services (introspection data) 
 * gir1.2-appstreamglib-1.0 -> GObject introspection data for the libappstream-glib library 
 * gir1.2-atk-1.0 -> ATK accessibility toolkit (GObject introspection) 
 * gir1.2-atspi-2.0 -> Assistive Technology Service Provider (GObject introspection) 
 * gir1.2-caribou-1.0 -> GObject introspection for the Caribou library 
 * gir1.2-cinnamondesktop-3.0 -> Introspection data for CinnamonDesktop 
 * gir1.2-clutter-1.0 -> GObject introspection data for the Clutter 1.0 library 
 * gir1.2-clutter-gst-3.0 -> Gobject introspection data for Clutter GStreamer elements 
 * gir1.2-cmenu-3.0 -> GObject introspection data for the Cinnamon menu library 
 * gir1.2-cogl-1.0 -> GObject introspection data for the Cogl 1.0 library 
 * gir1.2-coglpango-1.0 -> GObject introspection data for the CoglPango 1.0 library 
 * gir1.2-cvc-1.0 -> Introspection data for Cinnamon pulseaudio abstraction 
 * gir1.2-dbusmenu-glib-0.4 -> typelib file for libdbusmenu-glib4 
 * gir1.2-dee-1.0 -> GObject introspection data for the Dee library 
 * gir1.2-flatpak-1.0 -> Application deployment framework for desktop apps (introspection) 
 * gir1.2-freedesktop -> Introspection data for some FreeDesktop components 
 * gir1.2-gdesktopenums-3.0 -> GObject introspection for GSettings desktop-wide schemas 
 * gir1.2-gdkpixbuf-2.0 -> GDK Pixbuf library - GObject-Introspection 
 * gir1.2-gkbd-3.0 -> GObject introspection data for the GnomeKbd library 
 * gir1.2-glib-2.0 -> Introspection data for GLib, GObject, Gio and GModule 
 * gir1.2-gnomebluetooth-1.0 -> Introspection data for GnomeBluetooth 
 * gir1.2-gnomedesktop-3.0 -> Introspection data for GnomeDesktop 
 * gir1.2-gspell-1 -> spell-checking library for GTK+ applications - GObject introspection 
 * gir1.2-gst-plugins-base-1.0 -> GObject introspection data for the GStreamer Plugins Base library 
 * gir1.2-gstreamer-1.0 -> GObject introspection data for the GStreamer library 
 * gir1.2-gtk-3.0 -> GTK graphical user interface library -- gir bindings 
 * gir1.2-gtkclutter-1.0 -> GObject introspection data for the GTK+ Clutter library 
 * gir1.2-gtksource-3.0 -> gir files for the GTK+ syntax highlighting widget 
 * gir1.2-gtksource-4 -> gir files for the GTK+ syntax highlighting widget 
 * gir1.2-gtop-2.0 -> gtop system monitoring library (gir bindings) 
 * gir1.2-gudev-1.0 -> libgudev-1.0 introspection data 
 * gir1.2-ibus-1.0 -> Intelligent Input Bus - introspection data 
 * gir1.2-javascriptcoregtk-4.0 -> JavaScript engine library from WebKitGTK - GObject introspection data 
 * gir1.2-json-1.0 -> GLib JSON manipulation library (introspection data) 
 * gir1.2-keybinder-3.0 -> registers global key bindings for applications - Gtk+3 - typelib 
 * gir1.2-matedesktop-2.0 -> GObject introspection data for the libmate-desktop library 
 * gir1.2-matemenu-2.0 -> GObject introspection data for the MATE menu specification 
 * gir1.2-matepanelapplet-4.0 -> GObject introspection data for MATE panel 
 * gir1.2-meta-muffin-0.0 -> GObject introspection data for Muffin 
 * gir1.2-nemo-3.0 -> libraries for nemo components - gir bindings 
 * gir1.2-nm-1.0 -> GObject introspection data for the libnm library 
 * gir1.2-nma-1.0 -> GObject introspection data for libnma 
 * gir1.2-notify-0.7 -> sends desktop notifications to a notification daemon (Introspection files) 
 * gir1.2-packagekitglib-1.0 -> GObject introspection data for the PackageKit GLib library 
 * gir1.2-pango-1.0 -> Layout and rendering of internationalized text - gir bindings 
 * gir1.2-peas-1.0 -> Application plugin library (introspection files) 
 * gir1.2-polkit-1.0 -> GObject introspection data for PolicyKit 
 * gir1.2-rb-3.0 -> GObject introspection data for the rhythmbox music player 
 * gir1.2-secret-1 -> Secret store (GObject-Introspection) 
 * gir1.2-soup-2.4 -> GObject introspection data for the libsoup HTTP library 
 * gir1.2-timezonemap-1.0 -> typelib interface for libtimezonemap 
 * gir1.2-udisks-2.0 -> GObject based library to access udisks2 - introspection data 
 * gir1.2-upowerglib-1.0 -> GObject introspection data for upower 
 * gir1.2-vte-2.91 -> GObject introspection data for the VTE library 
 * gir1.2-webkit2-4.0 -> Web content engine library for GTK - GObject introspection data 
 * gir1.2-wnck-3.0 -> GObject introspection data for the WNCK library 
 * gir1.2-xapp-1.0 -> Introspection data for XApp 
 * gir1.2-xkl-1.0 -> X Keyboard Extension high-level API - introspection data 
 * gir1.2-xreader -> GObject introspection data for Xreader 
 * gnome-accessibility-themes -> High Contrast GTK+ 2 theme and icons 
 * gnome-bluetooth -> GNOME Bluetooth tools 
 * gnome-calculator -> GNOME desktop calculator 
 * gnome-calendar -> Calendar application for GNOME 
 * gnome-desktop3-data -> Common files for GNOME desktop apps 
 * gnome-disk-utility -> manage and configure disk drives and media 
 * gnome-font-viewer -> font viewer for GNOME 
 * gnome-icon-theme -> GNOME Desktop icon theme 
 * gnome-keyring -> GNOME keyring services (daemon and tools) 
 * gnome-logs -> viewer for the systemd journal 
 * gnome-menus -> GNOME implementation of the freedesktop menu specification 
 * gnome-online-accounts -> service to manage online accounts for the GNOME desktop 
 * gnome-power-manager -> power management tool for the GNOME desktop 
 * gnome-screenshot -> screenshot application for GNOME 
 * gnome-session-bin -> GNOME Session Manager - Minimal runtime 
 * gnome-settings-daemon -> daemon handling the GNOME session settings 
 * gnome-settings-daemon-common -> daemon handling the GNOME session settings - common files 
 * gnome-system-monitor -> Process viewer and system resource monitor for GNOME 
 * gnome-terminal -> GNOME terminal emulator application 
 * gnome-terminal-data -> Data files for the GNOME terminal emulator 
 * gnome-themes-extra -> Adwaita GTK+ 2 theme — engine 
 * gnome-themes-extra-data -> Adwaita GTK+ 2 theme — common files 
 * gnupg -> GNU privacy guard - a free PGP replacement 
 * gnupg-l10n -> GNU privacy guard - localization files 
 * gnupg-utils -> GNU privacy guard - utility programs 
 * gpg -> GNU Privacy Guard -- minimalist public key operations 
 * gpg-agent -> GNU privacy guard - cryptographic agent 
 * gpg-wks-client -> GNU privacy guard - Web Key Service client 
 * gpg-wks-server -> GNU privacy guard - Web Key Service server 
 * gpgconf -> GNU privacy guard - core configuration utilities 
 * gpgsm -> GNU privacy guard - S/MIME version 
 * gpgv -> GNU privacy guard - signature verification tool 
 * grep -> GNU grep, egrep and fgrep 
 * groff-base -> GNU troff text-formatting system (base system components) 
 * growisofs -> DVD+-RW/R recorder 
 * grub-common -> GRand Unified Bootloader (common files) 
 * grub-gfxpayload-lists -> GRUB gfxpayload blacklist 
 * grub-pc -> GRand Unified Bootloader, version 2 (PC/BIOS version) 
 * grub-pc-bin -> GRand Unified Bootloader, version 2 (PC/BIOS modules) 
 * grub2-common -> GRand Unified Bootloader (common files for version 2) 
 * gsfonts -> Fonts for the Ghostscript interpreter(s) 
 * gstreamer1.0-plugins-base-apps -> GStreamer helper programs from the "base" set 
 * gstreamer1.0-pulseaudio -> GStreamer plugin for PulseAudio 
 * gstreamer1.0-tools -> Tools for use with GStreamer 
 * gtk-update-icon-cache -> icon theme caching utility 
 * gtk2-engines -> theme engines for GTK+ 2.x 
 * gtk2-engines-murrine -> cairo-based gtk+-2.0 theme engine 
 * gtk2-engines-pixbuf -> pixbuf-based theme for GTK 2 
 * gucharmap -> Unicode character picker and font browser 
 * gufw -> graphical user interface for ufw 
 * guile-2.2-libs -> Core Guile libraries 
 * gzip -> GNU compression utilities 
 * hddtemp -> hard drive temperature monitoring utility 
 * hdparm -> tune hard disk parameters for high performance 
 * hexchat -> IRC client for X based on X-Chat 2 
 * hexchat-common -> Common files for HexChat 
 * hfsprogs -> mkfs and fsck for HFS and HFS+ file systems 
 * hicolor-icon-theme -> default fallback theme for FreeDesktop.org icon themes 
 * hostname -> utility to set/show the host name or domain name 
 * hplip -> HP Linux Printing and Imaging System (HPLIP) 
 * hplip-data -> HP Linux Printing and Imaging - data files 
 * hunspell-de-at-frami -> German (Austria) dictionary for hunspell ("frami" version) 
 * hunspell-de-ch-frami -> German (Switzerland) dictionary for hunspell ("frami" version) 
 * hunspell-de-de-frami -> German dictionary for hunspell ("frami" version) 
 * hunspell-en-au -> English (Australia) dictionary for hunspell 
 * hunspell-en-ca -> English (Canada) dictionary for hunspell 
 * hunspell-en-gb -> English (GB) dictionary for hunspell 
 * hunspell-en-us -> English_american dictionary for hunspell 
 * hunspell-en-za -> English (South Africa) dictionary for hunspell 
 * hunspell-es -> Spanish dictionary for hunspell 
 * hunspell-fr -> French dictionary for hunspell (dependency package) 
 * hunspell-fr-classical -> French dictionary for hunspell (classical version) 
 * hunspell-it -> Italian dictionary for hunspell 
 * hunspell-pt-br -> Brazilian Portuguese dictionary for hunspell 
 * hunspell-pt-pt -> Portuguese dictionary for hunspell 
 * hunspell-ru -> Russian dictionary for hunspell 
 * hwdata -> hardware identification / configuration data 
 * hyphen-de -> German hyphenation patterns 
 * hyphen-en-ca -> English (Canada) hyphenation patterns 
 * hyphen-en-gb -> English (GB) hyphenation patterns 
 * hyphen-en-us -> English (US) hyphenation patterns 
 * hyphen-fr -> French hyphenation patterns 
 * hyphen-it -> Italian hyphenation patterns 
 * hyphen-pt-br -> Brazilian Portuguese hyphenation patterns 
 * hyphen-pt-pt -> Portuguese hyphenation patterns 
 * hyphen-ru -> Russian hyphenation patterns for LibreOffice/OpenOffice.org 
 * hypnotix -> IPTV Player 
 * i965-va-driver -> VAAPI driver for Intel G45 & HD Graphics family 
 * id3 -> Editor for ID3 tags 
 * ideviceinstaller -> Utility to manage installed applications on an iDevice 
 * ieee-data -> OUI and IAB listings 
 * ifupdown -> high level tools to configure network interfaces 
 * ifuse -> FUSE module for iPhone and iPod Touch devices 
 * iio-sensor-proxy -> IIO sensors to D-Bus proxy 
 * im-config -> Input method configuration framework 
 * info -> Standalone GNU Info documentation browser 
 * init -> metapackage ensuring an init system is installed 
 * init-system-helpers -> helper tools for all init systems 
 * initramfs-tools -> generic modular initramfs generator (automation) 
 * initramfs-tools-bin -> binaries used by initramfs-tools 
 * initramfs-tools-core -> generic modular initramfs generator (core tools) 
 * inputattach -> utility to connect serial-attached peripherals to the input subsystem 
 * install-info -> Manage installed documentation in info format 
 * intel-media-va-driver -> VAAPI driver for the Intel GEN8+ Graphics family 
 * intel-microcode -> Processor microcode firmware for Intel CPUs 
 * inxi -> full featured system information script 
 * iproute2 -> networking and traffic control tools 
 * iptables -> administration tools for packet filtering and NAT 
 * iputils-arping -> Tool to send ICMP echo requests to an ARP address 
 * iputils-ping -> Tools to test the reachability of network hosts 
 * iputils-tracepath -> Tools to trace the network path to a remote host 
 * irqbalance -> Daemon to balance interrupts for SMP systems 
 * isc-dhcp-client -> DHCP client for automatically obtaining an IP address 
 * isc-dhcp-common -> common manpages relevant to all of the isc-dhcp packages 
 * iso-flag-png -> ISO country flags in PNG format 
 * iucode-tool -> Intel processor microcode tool 
 * iw -> tool for configuring Linux wireless devices 
 * java-common -> Base package for Java runtimes 
 * jfsutils -> utilities for managing the JFS filesystem 
 * kbd -> Linux console font and keytable utilities 
 * kerneloops -> kernel oops tracker 
 * keyboard-configuration -> system-wide keyboard preferences 
 * keyutils -> Linux Key Management Utilities 
 * kmod -> tools for managing Linux kernel modules 
 * kpartx -> create device mappings for partitions 
 * kpartx-boot -> Provides kpartx during boot 
 * krb5-locales -> internationalization support for MIT Kerberos 
 * language-pack-en -> translation updates for language English 
 * language-pack-en-base -> translations for language English 
 * language-pack-gnome-en -> GNOME translation updates for language English 
 * language-pack-gnome-en-base -> GNOME translations for language English 
 * laptop-detect -> system chassis type checker 
 * less -> pager program similar to more 
 * libapt-pkg-perl -> Perl interface to libapt-pkg 
 * libarchive-zip-perl -> Perl module for manipulation of ZIP archives 
 * libatk-adaptor -> AT-SPI 2 toolkit bridge 
 * libatk1.0-data -> Common files for the ATK accessibility toolkit 
 * libatspi2.0-0 -> Assistive Technology Service Provider Interface - shared library 
 * libauthen-sasl-perl -> Authen::SASL - SASL Authentication framework 
 * libb-hooks-endofscope-perl -> module for executing code after a scope finished compilation 
 * libb-hooks-op-check-perl -> Perl wrapper for OP check callbacks 
 * libc6-dbg -> GNU C Library: detached debugging symbols 
 * libcairo-gobject-perl -> integrate Cairo into the Glib type system in Perl 
 * libcairo-perl -> Perl interface to the Cairo graphics library 
 * libcanberra-gtk3-module -> translates GTK3 widgets signals to event sounds 
 * libcap2-bin -> POSIX 1003.1e capabilities (utilities) 
 * libcapture-tiny-perl -> module to capture STDOUT and STDERR 
 * libcdparanoia0 -> audio extraction tool for sampling CDs (library) 
 * libcgi-fast-perl -> CGI subclass for work with FCGI 
 * libcgi-pm-perl -> module for Common Gateway Interface applications 
 * libcinnamon-desktop-dbg -> Cinnamon shared utility library - debugging symbols 
 * libcinnamon-menu-3-0 -> Cinnamon implementation of the freedesktop menu specification 
 * libcinnamon-menu-3-0-dbg -> Cinnamon implementation of the freedesktop menu specification 
 * libcjs-dbg -> Mozilla-based javascript bindings for the Cinnamon platform 
 * libclass-method-modifiers-perl -> Perl module providing method modifiers 
 * libclass-xsaccessor-perl -> Perl module providing fast XS accessors 
 * libclone-perl -> module for recursively copying Perl datatypes 
 * libcpanel-json-xs-perl -> module for fast and correct serialising to JSON 
 * libcvc-dbg -> Cinnamon pulseaudio abstraction library - debug symbols 
 * libdata-dump-perl -> Perl module to help dump data structures 
 * libdevel-callchecker-perl -> custom op checking attached to subroutines 
 * libdevel-size-perl -> Perl extension for finding the memory usage of Perl variables 
 * libdigest-hmac-perl -> module for creating standard message integrity checks 
 * libdpkg-perl -> Dpkg perl modules 
 * libdynaloader-functions-perl -> deconstructed dynamic C library loading 
 * libel-api-java -> Expression Language API 
 * libemail-valid-perl -> Perl module for checking the validity of Internet email addresses 
 * libencode-locale-perl -> utility to determine the locale encoding 
 * libexporter-tiny-perl -> tiny exporter similar to Sub::Exporter 
 * libexttextcat-data -> Language detection library - data files 
 * libextutils-depends-perl -> Perl module for building extensions that depend on other extensions 
 * libextutils-pkgconfig-perl -> Perl interface to the pkg-config utility 
 * libfakeroot -> tool for simulating superuser privileges - shared libraries 
 * libfcgi-perl -> helper module for FastCGI 
 * libffmpegthumbnailer4v5 -> shared library for ffmpegthumbnailer 
 * libfile-basedir-perl -> Perl module to use the freedesktop basedir specification 
 * libfile-desktopentry-perl -> Perl module to handle freedesktop .desktop files 
 * libfile-fcntllock-perl -> Perl module for file locking with fcntl(2) 
 * libfile-find-rule-perl -> module to search for files based on rules 
 * libfile-listing-perl -> module to parse directory listings 
 * libfile-mimeinfo-perl -> Perl module to determine file types 
 * libfont-afm-perl -> Font::AFM - Interface to Adobe Font Metrics files 
 * libfont-ttf-perl -> Perl module for TrueType font hacking 
 * libfontenc1 -> X11 font encoding library 
 * libfuture-perl -> module for operations awaiting completion 
 * libglib-object-introspection-perl -> Perl bindings for gobject-introspection libraries 
 * libglib-perl -> interface to the GLib and GObject libraries 
 * libglib2.0-bin -> Programs for the GLib library 
 * libglib2.0-data -> Common files for GLib library 
 * libgphoto2-l10n -> gphoto2 digital camera library - localized messages 
 * libgtk-3-bin -> programs for the GTK graphical user interface library 
 * libgtk-3-common -> common files for the GTK graphical user interface library 
 * libgtk2-perl -> Perl interface to the 2.x series of the Gimp Toolkit library 
 * libgtk2.0-bin -> programs for the GTK graphical user interface library 
 * libgtk2.0-common -> common files for the GTK graphical user interface library 
 * libgtk3-perl -> Perl bindings for the GTK+ graphical user interface library 
 * libhsqldb1.8.0-java -> Java SQL database engine 
 * libhtml-form-perl -> module that represents an HTML form element 
 * libhtml-format-perl -> module for transforming HTML into various formats 
 * libhtml-parser-perl -> collection of modules that parse HTML text documents 
 * libhtml-tagset-perl -> data tables pertaining to HTML 
 * libhtml-tree-perl -> Perl module to represent and create HTML syntax trees 
 * libhttp-cookies-perl -> HTTP cookie jars 
 * libhttp-daemon-perl -> simple http server class 
 * libhttp-date-perl -> module of date conversion routines 
 * libhttp-message-perl -> perl interface to HTTP style messages 
 * libhttp-negotiate-perl -> implementation of content negotiation 
 * libimobiledevice-utils -> Utitilies for communicating with iPhone and other Apple devices 
 * libimport-into-perl -> module for importing packages into other packages 
 * libio-async-loop-epoll-perl -> Perl extension for an event loop using epoll 
 * libio-async-perl -> modules for asynchronous event-driven programming 
 * libio-html-perl -> open an HTML file with automatic charset detection 
 * libio-pty-perl -> Perl module for pseudo tty IO 
 * libio-socket-ssl-perl -> Perl module implementing object oriented interface to SSL sockets 
 * libio-string-perl -> Emulate IO::File interface for in-core strings 
 * libipc-run-perl -> Perl module for running processes 
 * libipc-system-simple-perl -> Perl module to run commands simply, with detailed diagnostics 
 * libjs-mathjax -> JavaScript display engine for LaTeX and MathML 
 * libjson-maybexs-perl -> interface to the best available JSON module 
 * libjsp-api-java -> JavaServer Pages API 
 * libjuh-java -> LibreOffice UNO runtime environment -- Java Uno helper 
 * libjurt-java -> LibreOffice UNO runtime environment -- Java Uno Runtime 
 * libkeyutils1 -> Linux Key Management Utilities (library) 
 * liblcms2-utils -> Little CMS 2 color management library (utilities) 
 * liblightdm-gobject-1-0 -> LightDM GObject client library 
 * liblinux-epoll-perl -> perl epoll module for O(1) multiplexing 
 * liblist-compare-perl -> Perl module for comparing elements of two or more lists 
 * liblist-moreutils-perl -> Perl module with additional list functions not found in List::Util 
 * liblocale-gettext-perl -> module using libc functions for internationalization in Perl 
 * liblouis-data -> Braille translation library - data 
 * liblouisutdml-bin -> Braille UTDML translation utilities 
 * liblouisutdml-data -> Braille UTDML translation library - data 
 * liblwp-mediatypes-perl -> module to guess media type for a file or a URL 
 * liblwp-protocol-https-perl -> HTTPS driver for LWP::UserAgent 
 * libmailtools-perl -> modules to manipulate email in perl programs 
 * libmate-desktop-2-17 -> Library with common API for various MATE modules (library) 
 * libmbim-proxy -> Proxy to communicate with MBIM ports 
 * libmodule-implementation-perl -> module for loading one of several alternate implementations of a module 
 * libmodule-runtime-perl -> Perl module for runtime module handling 
 * libmoo-perl -> Minimalist Object Orientation library (with Moose compatibility) 
 * libmoox-aliases-perl -> easy aliasing of methods and attributes in Moo 
 * libnamespace-clean-perl -> module for keeping imports and functions out of the current namespace 
 * libnatpmp1 -> portable and fully compliant implementation of NAT-PMP 
 * libnet-dbus-perl -> Perl extension for the DBus bindings 
 * libnet-dns-perl -> Perform DNS queries from a Perl script 
 * libnet-domain-tld-perl -> list of currently available Top-level Domains (TLDs) 
 * libnet-http-perl -> module providing low-level HTTP connection client 
 * libnet-ip-perl -> Perl extension for manipulating IPv4/IPv6 addresses 
 * libnet-libidn-perl -> Perl bindings for GNU Libidn 
 * libnet-smtp-ssl-perl -> Perl module providing SSL support to Net::SMTP 
 * libnet-ssleay-perl -> Perl module for Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) 
 * libnetplan0 -> YAML network configuration abstraction runtime library 
 * libnotify-bin -> sends desktop notifications to a notification daemon (Utilities) 
 * libnss-mdns -> NSS module for Multicast DNS name resolution 
 * libnss-myhostname -> nss module providing fallback resolution for the current hostname 
 * libnss-systemd -> nss module providing dynamic user and group name resolution 
 * libnumber-compare-perl -> module for performing numeric comparisons in Perl 
 * libpackage-stash-perl -> module providing routines for manipulating stashes 
 * libpam-gnome-keyring -> PAM module to unlock the GNOME keyring upon login 
 * libpam-modules -> Pluggable Authentication Modules for PAM 
 * libpam-modules-bin -> Pluggable Authentication Modules for PAM - helper binaries 
 * libpam-runtime -> Runtime support for the PAM library 
 * libpam-systemd -> system and service manager - PAM module 
 * libpango-perl -> Perl module to layout and render international text 
 * libpaper-utils -> library for handling paper characteristics (utilities) 
 * libparams-classify-perl -> Perl module for argument type classification 
 * libpath-tiny-perl -> file path utility 
 * libperlio-gzip-perl -> module providing a PerlIO layer to gzip/gunzip 
 * libpulse-mainloop-glib0 -> PulseAudio client libraries (glib support) 
 * libpulsedsp -> PulseAudio OSS pre-load library 
 * libpython3-stdlib -> interactive high-level object-oriented language (default python3 version) 
 * libpython3.8-minimal -> Minimal subset of the Python language (version 3.8) 
 * libpython3.8-stdlib -> Interactive high-level object-oriented language (standard library, version 3.8) 
 * libqmi-proxy -> Proxy to communicate with QMI ports 
 * libreoffice-base -> office productivity suite -- database 
 * libreoffice-base-core -> office productivity suite -- shared library 
 * libreoffice-base-drivers -> Database connectivity drivers for LibreOffice 
 * libreoffice-calc -> office productivity suite -- spreadsheet 
 * libreoffice-common -> office productivity suite -- arch-independent files 
 * libreoffice-core -> office productivity suite -- arch-dependent files 
 * libreoffice-draw -> office productivity suite -- drawing 
 * libreoffice-gnome -> office productivity suite -- GNOME integration 
 * libreoffice-gtk3 -> office productivity suite -- GTK+ 3 integration 
 * libreoffice-help-common -> office productivity suite -- common files for LibreOffice help 
 * libreoffice-help-de -> office productivity suite -- German help 
 * libreoffice-help-en-gb -> office productivity suite -- English_british help 
 * libreoffice-help-en-us -> office productivity suite -- English_american help 
 * libreoffice-help-es -> office productivity suite -- Spanish help 
 * libreoffice-help-fr -> office productivity suite -- French help 
 * libreoffice-help-it -> office productivity suite -- Italian help 
 * libreoffice-help-pt -> office productivity suite -- Portuguese help 
 * libreoffice-help-pt-br -> office productivity suite -- Portuguese_brazilian help 
 * libreoffice-help-ru -> office productivity suite -- Russian help 
 * libreoffice-help-zh-cn -> office productivity suite -- Chinese_simplified help 
 * libreoffice-help-zh-tw -> office productivity suite -- Chinese_traditional help 
 * libreoffice-impress -> office productivity suite -- presentation 
 * libreoffice-java-common -> office productivity suite -- arch-independent Java support files 
 * libreoffice-l10n-de -> office productivity suite -- German language package 
 * libreoffice-l10n-en-gb -> office productivity suite -- English_british language package 
 * libreoffice-l10n-en-za -> office productivity suite -- English_southafrican language package 
 * libreoffice-l10n-es -> office productivity suite -- Spanish language package 
 * libreoffice-l10n-fr -> office productivity suite -- French language package 
 * libreoffice-l10n-it -> office productivity suite -- Italian language package 
 * libreoffice-l10n-pt -> office productivity suite -- Portuguese language package 
 * libreoffice-l10n-pt-br -> office productivity suite -- Portuguese_brazilian language package 
 * libreoffice-l10n-ru -> office productivity suite -- Russian language package 
 * libreoffice-l10n-zh-cn -> office productivity suite -- Chinese_simplified language package 
 * libreoffice-l10n-zh-tw -> office productivity suite -- Chinese_traditional language package 
 * libreoffice-math -> office productivity suite -- equation editor 
 * libreoffice-sdbc-hsqldb -> HSQLDB SDBC driver for LibreOffice 
 * libreoffice-style-colibre -> office productivity suite -- colibre symbol style 
 * libreoffice-style-tango -> office productivity suite -- Tango symbol style 
 * libreoffice-writer -> office productivity suite -- word processor 
 * libridl-java -> LibreOffice UNO runtime environment -- base types and types access library for the Java Uno typesystem 
 * librole-tiny-perl -> Perl module for minimalist role composition 
 * libsensors-config -> lm-sensors configuration files 
 * libsereal-decoder-perl -> fast, compact, powerful binary deserialization module 
 * libsereal-encoder-perl -> fast, compact, powerful binary serialization module 
 * libservlet-api-java -> Java Servlet API 
 * libservlet3.1-java -> Java Servlet API 3.1 (transitional package) 
 * libsord-0-0 -> library for storing RDF data in memory 
 * libstrictures-perl -> Perl module to turn on strict and make all warnings fatal 
 * libstruct-dumb-perl -> module to create simple lightweight record-like structures 
 * libsub-exporter-progressive-perl -> module for using Sub::Exporter only if needed 
 * libsub-identify-perl -> module to retrieve names of code references 
 * libsub-name-perl -> module for assigning a new name to referenced sub 
 * libsub-quote-perl -> helper modules for subroutines 
 * libteamdctl0 -> library for communication with `teamd` process 
 * libtext-charwidth-perl -> get display widths of characters on the terminal 
 * libtext-glob-perl -> Perl module for matching globbing patterns against text 
 * libtext-iconv-perl -> module to convert between character sets in Perl 
 * libtext-levenshtein-perl -> implementation of the Levenshtein edit distance 
 * libtext-wrapi18n-perl -> internationalized substitute of Text::Wrap 
 * libtie-ixhash-perl -> Perl module to order associative arrays 
 * libtimedate-perl -> collection of modules to manipulate date/time information 
 * libtimezonemap-data -> GTK+3 timezone map widget - data files 
 * libtry-tiny-perl -> module providing minimalistic try/catch 
 * libtype-tiny-perl -> tiny, yet Moo(se)-compatible type constraint 
 * libunicode-utf8-perl -> encoding and decoding of UTF-8 encoding form 
 * libunity-scopes-json-def-desktop -> binding to get places into the launcher - desktop def file 
 * libunoil-java -> LibreOffice UNO runtime environment -- UNO interface library 
 * libunoloader-java -> LibreOffice UNO runtime environment -- (Java) UNO loader 
 * liburi-perl -> module to manipulate and access URI strings 
 * libuuid-perl -> Perl extension for using UUID interfaces as defined in e2fsprogs 
 * libvariable-magic-perl -> module to associate user-defined magic to variables from Perl 
 * libvisual-0.4-plugins -> audio visualization framework plugins 
 * libwebsocket-api-java -> Java WebSocket API 
 * libwww-perl -> simple and consistent interface to the world-wide web 
 * libwww-robotrules-perl -> database of robots.txt-derived permissions 
 * libx11-data -> X11 client-side library 
 * libx11-protocol-perl -> Perl module for the X Window System Protocol, version 11 
 * libxml-libxml-perl -> Perl interface to the libxml2 library 
 * libxml-namespacesupport-perl -> Perl module for supporting simple generic namespaces 
 * libxml-parser-perl -> Perl module for parsing XML files 
 * libxml-sax-base-perl -> base class for SAX drivers and filters 
 * libxml-sax-expat-perl -> Perl module for a SAX2 driver for Expat (XML::Parser) 
 * libxml-sax-perl -> Perl module for using and building Perl SAX2 XML processors 
 * libxml-twig-perl -> Perl module for processing huge XML documents in tree mode 
 * libxml-writer-perl -> Perl module for writing XML documents 
 * libxml-xpathengine-perl -> re-usable XPath engine for DOM-like trees 
 * libyaml-libyaml-perl -> Perl interface to libyaml, a YAML implementation 
 * libyaml-tiny-perl -> Perl module for reading and writing YAML files 
 * lightdm -> Display Manager 
 * lightdm-settings -> LightDM configuration tool 
 * linux-firmware -> Firmware for Linux kernel drivers 
 * linux-sound-base -> base package for ALSA and OSS sound systems 
 * linuxmint-keyring -> GnuPG key of the Linux Mint repository 
 * lm-sensors -> utilities to read temperature/voltage/fan sensors 
 * login -> system login tools 
 * logrotate -> Log rotation utility 
 * logsave -> save the output of a command in a log file 
 * lp-solve -> Solve (mixed integer) linear programming problems 
 * lsb-base -> Linux Standard Base init script functionality 
 * lsb-release -> Linux Standard Base version reporting utility 
 * lshw -> information about hardware configuration 
 * lsof -> utility to list open files 
 * ltrace -> Tracks runtime library calls in dynamically linked programs 
 * lupin-casper -> Add support for loop-mount installations to casper 
 * lvm2 -> Linux Logical Volume Manager 
 * lz4 -> Fast LZ compression algorithm library - tool 
Michael_Hathaway
Level 4
Level 4

* m4 -> macro processing language 
 * makedev -> creates device files in /dev 
 * man-db -> tools for reading manual pages 
 * manpages -> Manual pages about using a GNU/Linux system 
 * manpages-dev -> Manual pages about using GNU/Linux for development 
 * mate-desktop -> Library with common API for various MATE modules 
 * mate-desktop-common -> Library with common API for various MATE modules (common files) 
 * mate-panel -> launcher and docking facility for MATE 
 * mate-panel-common -> launcher and docking facility for MATE (common files) 
 * mate-polkit -> MATE authentication agent for PolicyKit-1 
 * mate-polkit-common -> MATE authentication agent for PolicyKit-1 (common files) 
 * mawk -> Pattern scanning and text processing language 
 * media-player-info -> Media player identification files 
 * menu-xdg -> freedesktop.org menu compliant window manager scripts 
 * mesa-utils -> Miscellaneous Mesa GL utilities 
 * metacity -> lightweight GTK+ window manager 
 * metacity-common -> shared files for the Metacity window manager 
 * mime-support -> MIME files 'mime.types' & 'mailcap', and support programs 
 * mint-artwork -> Linux Mint Artwork and Resources 
 * mint-backgrounds-ulyana -> The desktop backgrounds for Linux Mint 20 Ulyana 
 * mint-backgrounds-ulyssa -> The desktop backgrounds for Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa 
 * mint-backgrounds-uma -> The desktop backgrounds for Linux Mint 20.2 Uma 
 * mint-common -> Common scripts and resources for Linux Mint 
 * mint-info-cinnamon -> Necessary information about the Linux Mint release and edition. 
 * mint-meta-cinnamon -> Set of packages installed by default in the Cinnamon edition of Linux Mint 
 * mint-meta-codecs -> All the packages required for multimedia support in Linux Mint. 
 * mint-meta-core -> Core Linux Mint packages 
 * mint-mirrors -> Linux Mint Repository mirrors 
 * mint-themes -> Mint themes 
 * mint-translations -> Translation files for Linux Mint 
 * mint-upgrade-info -> Information about upgrade paths 
 * mint-x-icons -> Mint-X icon theme 
 * mint-y-icons -> Mint-Y icon theme 
 * mintbackup -> Home Directory Backup Tool 
 * mintdrivers -> Driver Manager 
 * mintinstall -> Software Manager 
 * mintlocale -> Language selection tool 
 * mintmenu -> Advanced MATE menu 
 * mintreport -> Troubleshooting tool for Linux Mint 
 * mintsources -> Software Sources configuration tool 
 * mintstick -> write .img and .iso files to USB sticks 
 * mintsystem -> Linux Mint System Base Package 
 * mintupdate -> The Linux Mint Update Manager 
 * mintwelcome -> Welcome screen for Linux Mint 
 * mlocate -> quickly find files on the filesystem based on their name 
 * mobile-broadband-provider-info -> database of mobile broadband service providers 
 * modemmanager -> D-Bus service for managing modems 
 * mount -> tools for mounting and manipulating filesystems 
 * mousetweaks -> mouse accessibility enhancements for the GNOME desktop 
 * mscompress -> Microsoft "compress.exe/expand.exe" compatible (de)compressor 
 * mtools -> Tools for manipulating MSDOS files 
 * mtr-tiny -> Full screen ncurses traceroute tool 
 * muffin -> window and compositing manager 
 * muffin-common -> window and compositing manager (data files) 
 * muffin-dbg -> window and compositing manager (debugging symbols) 
 * mysql-common -> MySQL database common files, e.g. /etc/mysql/my.cnf 
 * mythes-de -> German Thesaurus for OpenOffice.org/LibreOffice 
 * mythes-de-ch -> German Thesaurus for OpenOffice.org/LibreOffice (Swiss Version) 
 * mythes-en-au -> Australian English Thesaurus for OpenOffice.org 
 * mythes-en-us -> English (USA) Thesaurus for LibreOffice 
 * mythes-fr -> French Thesaurus for LibreOffice 
 * mythes-it -> Italian Thesaurus for LibreOffice 
 * mythes-pt-pt -> Portuguese Thesaurus for LibreOffice 
 * mythes-ru -> Russian Thesaurus for LibreOffice 
 * nano -> small, friendly text editor inspired by Pico 
 * nautilus-data -> data files for nautilus 
 * ncurses-base -> basic terminal type definitions 
 * ncurses-bin -> terminal-related programs and man pages 
 * nemo -> file manager and graphical shell for Cinnamon 
 * nemo-data -> data files for nemo 
 * nemo-dbg -> file manager and graphical shell for Cinnamon - debugging version 
 * nemo-emblems -> Change a folder or file emblem 
 * nemo-fileroller -> File Roller integration for Nemo 
 * nemo-preview -> nemo-preview is a quick previewer for nemo 
 * nemo-share -> Nemo extension to share folder using Samba 
 * neofetch -> Shows Linux System Information with Distribution Logo 
 * net-tools -> NET-3 networking toolkit 
 * netbase -> Basic TCP/IP networking system 
 * netcat-openbsd -> TCP/IP swiss army knife 
 * netplan.io -> YAML network configuration abstraction for various backends 
 * network-manager -> network management framework (daemon and userspace tools) 
 * network-manager-config-connectivity-ubuntu -> NetworkManager configuration to enable connectivity checking 
 * network-manager-gnome -> network management framework (GNOME frontend) 
 * network-manager-openvpn -> network management framework (OpenVPN plugin core) 
 * network-manager-openvpn-gnome -> network management framework (OpenVPN plugin GNOME GUI) 
 * network-manager-pptp -> network management framework (PPTP plugin core) 
 * network-manager-pptp-gnome -> network management framework (PPTP plugin GNOME GUI) 
 * networkd-dispatcher -> Dispatcher service for systemd-networkd connection status changes 
 * ntfs-3g -> read/write NTFS driver for FUSE 
 * nvidia-prime-applet -> An applet for NVIDIA Prime 
 * odt2txt -> simple converter from OpenDocument Text to plain text 
 * onboard -> Simple On-screen Keyboard 
 * onboard-common -> Simple On-screen Keyboard (common files) 
 * open-vm-tools -> Open VMware Tools for virtual machines hosted on VMware (CLI) 
 * open-vm-tools-desktop -> Open VMware Tools for virtual machines hosted on VMware (GUI) 
 * openjdk-11-jre -> OpenJDK Java runtime, using Hotspot JIT 
 * openjdk-11-jre-headless -> OpenJDK Java runtime, using Hotspot JIT (headless) 
 * openprinting-ppds -> OpenPrinting printer support - PostScript PPD files 
 * openssh-client -> secure shell (SSH) client, for secure access to remote machines 
 * openssl -> Secure Sockets Layer toolkit - cryptographic utility 
 * openvpn -> virtual private network daemon 
 * orca -> Scriptable screen reader 
 * os-prober -> utility to detect other OSes on a set of drives 
 * p11-kit -> p11-glue utilities 
 * p11-kit-modules -> p11-glue proxy and trust modules 
 * p7zip -> 7zr file archiver with high compression ratio 
 * p7zip-full -> 7z and 7za file archivers with high compression ratio 
 * packagekit -> Provides a package management service 
 * parted -> disk partition manipulator 
 * passwd -> change and administer password and group data 
 * patch -> Apply a diff file to an original 
 * patchutils -> Utilities to work with patches 
 * pci.ids -> PCI ID Repository 
 * pciutils -> PCI utilities 
 * pcmciautils -> PCMCIA utilities for Linux 2.6 
 * perl -> Larry Wall's Practical Extraction and Report Language 
 * perl-base -> minimal Perl system 
 * perl-openssl-defaults -> version compatibility baseline for Perl OpenSSL packages 
 * pinentry-curses -> curses-based PIN or pass-phrase entry dialog for GnuPG 
 * pinentry-gnome3 -> GNOME 3 PIN or pass-phrase entry dialog for GnuPG 
 * pix -> image viewer and browser 
 * pix-data -> image viewer and browser - arch-independent files 
 * pix-dbg -> image viewer and browser - debugging symbols 
 * plymouth -> boot animation, logger and I/O multiplexer 
 * plymouth-label -> boot animation, logger and I/O multiplexer - label control 
 * plymouth-theme-ubuntu-text -> boot animation, logger and I/O multiplexer - ubuntu text theme 
 * pm-utils -> utilities and scripts for power management 
 * policykit-1 -> framework for managing administrative policies and privileges 
 * policykit-1-gnome -> authentication agent for PolicyKit 
 * policykit-desktop-privileges -> run common desktop actions without password 
 * poppler-data -> encoding data for the poppler PDF rendering library 
 * poppler-utils -> PDF utilities (based on Poppler) 
 * powermgmt-base -> common utils for power management 
 * ppp -> Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP) - daemon 
 * pppconfig -> Text menu based utility for configuring ppp 
 * pppoeconf -> configures PPPoE/ADSL connections 
 * pptp-linux -> Point-to-Point Tunneling Protocol (PPTP) Client 
 * printer-driver-brlaser -> printer driver for (some) Brother laser printers 
 * printer-driver-c2esp -> printer driver for Kodak ESP AiO color inkjet Series 
 * printer-driver-foo2zjs -> printer driver for ZjStream-based printers 
 * printer-driver-foo2zjs-common -> printer driver for ZjStream-based printers - common files 
 * printer-driver-gutenprint -> printer drivers for CUPS 
 * printer-driver-hpcups -> HP Linux Printing and Imaging - CUPS Raster driver (hpcups) 
 * printer-driver-m2300w -> printer driver for Minolta magicolor 2300W/2400W color laser printers 
 * printer-driver-min12xxw -> printer driver for KonicaMinolta PagePro 1[234]xxW 
 * printer-driver-pnm2ppa -> printer driver for HP-GDI printers 
 * printer-driver-postscript-hp -> HP Printers PostScript Descriptions 
 * printer-driver-ptouch -> printer driver Brother P-touch label printers 
 * printer-driver-pxljr -> printer driver for HP Color LaserJet 35xx/36xx 
 * printer-driver-sag-gdi -> printer driver for Ricoh Aficio SP 1000s/SP 1100s 
 * printer-driver-splix -> Driver for Samsung and Xerox SPL2 and SPLc laser printers 
 * procps -> /proc file system utilities 
 * psmisc -> utilities that use the proc file system 
 * publicsuffix -> accurate, machine-readable list of domain name suffixes 
 * pulseaudio -> PulseAudio sound server 
 * pulseaudio-module-bluetooth -> Bluetooth module for PulseAudio sound server 
 * pulseaudio-utils -> Command line tools for the PulseAudio sound server 
 * python-apt-common -> Python interface to libapt-pkg (locales) 
 * python-nemo -> Python binding for Nemo components 
 * python-tinycss2-common -> Low-level CSS parser (test data) 
 * python3 -> interactive high-level object-oriented language (default python3 version) 
 * python3-apport -> Python 3 library for Apport crash report handling 
 * python3-apt -> Python 3 interface to libapt-pkg 
 * python3-aptdaemon -> Python 3 module for the server and client of aptdaemon 
 * python3-aptdaemon.gtk3widgets -> Python 3 GTK+ 3 widgets to run an aptdaemon client 
 * python3-blinker -> fast, simple object-to-object and broadcast signaling library 
 * python3-brlapi -> Braille display access via BRLTTY - Python3 bindings 
 * python3-bs4 -> error-tolerant HTML parser for Python 3 
 * python3-cairo -> Python3 bindings for the Cairo vector graphics library 
 * python3-certifi -> root certificates for validating SSL certs and verifying TLS hosts (python3) 
 * python3-cffi-backend -> Foreign Function Interface for Python 3 calling C code - runtime 
 * python3-chardet -> universal character encoding detector for Python3 
 * python3-click -> Wrapper around optparse for command line utilities - Python 3.x 
 * python3-colorama -> Cross-platform colored terminal text in Python - Python 3.x 
 * python3-commandnotfound -> Python 3 bindings for command-not-found. 
 * python3-configobj -> simple but powerful config file reader and writer for Python 3 
 * python3-crypto -> cryptographic algorithms and protocols for Python 3 
 * python3-cryptography -> Python library exposing cryptographic recipes and primitives (Python 3) 
 * python3-cups -> Python3 bindings for CUPS 
 * python3-cupshelpers -> Python utility modules around the CUPS printing system 
 * python3-dbus -> simple interprocess messaging system (Python 3 interface) 
 * python3-debian -> Python 3 modules to work with Debian-related data formats 
 * python3-defer -> Small framework for asynchronous programming (Python 3) 
 * python3-distro -> Linux OS platform information API 
 * python3-entrypoints -> Discover and load entry points from installed packages (Python 3) 
 * python3-gdbm -> GNU dbm database support for Python 3.x 
 * python3-gi -> Python 3 bindings for gobject-introspection libraries 
 * python3-gi-cairo -> Python 3 Cairo bindings for the GObject library 
 * python3-grpcio -> GRPC system (Python 3) 
 * python3-httplib2 -> comprehensive HTTP client library written for Python3 
 * python3-icu -> Python 3 extension wrapping the ICU C++ API 
 * python3-idna -> Python IDNA2008 (RFC 5891) handling (Python 3) 
 * python3-ifaddr -> Pure Python implementation for detecting IP addresses 
 * python3-imdbpy -> Python package to access the IMDb's movie database (Python 3) 
 * python3-jwt -> Python 3 implementation of JSON Web Token 
 * python3-keyring -> store and access your passwords safely - Python 3 version of the package 
 * python3-launchpadlib -> Launchpad web services client library (Python 3) 
 * python3-lazr.restfulclient -> client for lazr.restful-based web services (Python 3) 
 * python3-lazr.uri -> library for parsing, manipulating, and generating URIs 
 * python3-ldb -> Python 3 bindings for LDB 
 * python3-louis -> Python bindings for liblouis 
 * python3-macaroonbakery -> Higher-level macaroon operations for Python 3 
 * python3-magic -> python3 interface to the libmagic file type identification library 
 * python3-mako -> fast and lightweight templating for the Python 3 platform 
 * python3-markupsafe -> HTML/XHTML/XML string library for Python 3 
 * python3-minimal -> minimal subset of the Python language (default python3 version) 
 * python3-nacl -> Python bindings to libsodium (Python 3) 
 * python3-netaddr -> manipulation of various common network address notations (Python 3) 
 * python3-netifaces -> portable network interface information - Python 3.x 
 * python3-oauthlib -> generic, spec-compliant implementation of OAuth for Python3 
 * python3-packaging -> core utilities for python3 packages 
 * python3-pam -> Python interface to the PAM library 
 * python3-parted -> Python 3 interface for libparted 
 * python3-pexpect -> Python 3 module for automating interactive applications 
 * python3-pil -> Python Imaging Library (Python3) 
 * python3-pkg-resources -> Package Discovery and Resource Access using pkg_resources 
 * python3-problem-report -> Python 3 library to handle problem reports 
 * python3-protobuf -> Python 3 bindings for protocol buffers 
 * python3-psutil -> module providing convenience functions for managing processes (Python3) 
 * python3-ptyprocess -> Run a subprocess in a pseudo terminal from Python 3 
 * python3-pyatspi -> Assistive Technology Service Provider Interface - Python3 bindings 
 * python3-pycurl -> Python bindings to libcurl (Python 3) 
 * python3-pyinotify -> simple Linux inotify Python bindings 
 * python3-pymacaroons -> Macaroon library for Python 3 
 * python3-pyparsing -> alternative to creating and executing simple grammars - Python 3.x 
 * python3-reportlab -> ReportLab library to create PDF documents using Python3 
 * python3-reportlab-accel -> C coded extension accelerator for the ReportLab Toolkit 
 * python3-requests -> elegant and simple HTTP library for Python3, built for human beings 
 * python3-requests-file -> File transport adapter for Requests - Python 3.X 
 * python3-requests-unixsocket -> Use requests to talk HTTP via a UNIX domain socket - Python 3.x 
 * python3-rfc3339 -> parser and generator of RFC 3339-compliant timestamps (Python 3) 
 * python3-samba -> Python 3 bindings for Samba 
 * python3-secretstorage -> Python module for storing secrets - Python 3.x version 
 * python3-setproctitle -> Setproctitle implementation for Python 3 
 * python3-simplejson -> simple, fast, extensible JSON encoder/decoder for Python 3.x 
 * python3-six -> Python 2 and 3 compatibility library (Python 3 interface) 
 * python3-soupsieve -> modern CSS selector implementation for BeautifulSoup (Python 3) 
 * python3-speechd -> Python interface to Speech Dispatcher 
 * python3-systemd -> Python 3 bindings for systemd 
 * python3-talloc -> hierarchical pool based memory allocator - Python3 bindings 
 * python3-tdb -> Python3 bindings for TDB 
 * python3-tinycss2 -> Low-level CSS parser (Python3 version) 
 * python3-tldextract -> Python library for separating TLDs 
 * python3-tz -> Python3 version of the Olson timezone database 
 * python3-unidecode -> ASCII transliterations of Unicode text (Python 3 module) 
 * python3-uno -> Python-UNO bridge 
 * python3-urllib3 -> HTTP library with thread-safe connection pooling for Python3 
 * python3-wadllib -> Python 3 library for navigating WADL files 
 * python3-webencodings -> Python implementation of the WHATWG Encoding standard 
 * python3-xapp -> Python 3 XApp library 
 * python3-xdg -> Python 3 library to access freedesktop.org standards 
 * python3-xkit -> library for the manipulation of xorg.conf files (Python 3) 
 * python3-xlib -> interface for Python 3 to the X11 protocol 
 * python3-yaml -> YAML parser and emitter for Python3 
 * python3.8 -> Interactive high-level object-oriented language (version 3.8) 
 * python3.8-minimal -> Minimal subset of the Python language (version 3.8) 
 * qt5ct -> Qt5 Configuration Utility 
 * qttranslations5-l10n -> translations for Qt 5 
 * rdate -> sets the system's date from a remote host with network time protocol 
 * readline-common -> GNU readline and history libraries, common files 
 * redshift -> Adjusts the color temperature of your screen 
 * redshift-gtk -> Adjusts the color temperature of your screen with GTK+ integration 
 * reiserfsprogs -> User-level tools for ReiserFS filesystems 
 * rename -> Perl extension for renaming multiple files 
 * rfkill -> tool for enabling and disabling wireless devices 
 * rhythmbox -> music player and organizer for GNOME 
 * rhythmbox-data -> data files for rhythmbox 
 * rhythmbox-plugin-tray-icon -> A tray icon plugin for rhythmbox music player 
 * rhythmbox-plugins -> plugins for rhythmbox music player 
 * rsync -> fast, versatile, remote (and local) file-copying tool 
 * rsyslog -> reliable system and kernel logging daemon 
 * rtkit -> Realtime Policy and Watchdog Daemon 
 * samba-common -> common files used by both the Samba server and client 
 * samba-common-bin -> Samba common files used by both the server and the client 
 * sane-utils -> API library for scanners -- utilities 
 * sbsigntool -> Tools to manipulate signatures on UEFI binaries and drivers 
 * seahorse -> GNOME front end for GnuPG 
 * secureboot-db -> Secure Boot updates for DB and DBX 
 * sed -> GNU stream editor for filtering/transforming text 
 * sensible-utils -> Utilities for sensible alternative selection 
 * session-migration -> Tool to migrate in user session settings 
 * sgml-base -> SGML infrastructure and SGML catalog file support 
 * sgml-data -> common SGML and XML data 
 * shared-mime-info -> FreeDesktop.org shared MIME database and spec 
 * simple-scan -> Simple Scanning Utility 
 * slick-greeter -> Slick-looking LightDM greeter 
 * smbclient -> command-line SMB/CIFS clients for Unix 
 * sound-theme-freedesktop -> freedesktop.org sound theme 
 * speech-dispatcher -> Common interface to speech synthesizers 
 * speech-dispatcher-audio-plugins -> Speech Dispatcher: Audio output plugins 
 * speech-dispatcher-espeak-ng -> Speech Dispatcher: Espeak-ng output module 
 * squashfs-tools -> Tool to create and append to squashfs filesystems 
 * ssl-cert -> simple debconf wrapper for OpenSSL 
 * sticky -> Sticky Notes app 
 * strace -> System call tracer 
 * streamer -> television capture tool (images/movies) 
 * sudo -> Provide limited super user privileges to specific users 
 * synaptic -> Graphical package manager 
 * syslinux -> collection of bootloaders (DOS FAT and NTFS bootloader) 
 * syslinux-common -> collection of bootloaders (common) 
 * syslinux-legacy -> Bootloader for Linux/i386 using MS-DOS floppies 
 * syslinux-utils -> collection of bootloaders (utilities) 
 * system-config-printer -> graphical interface to configure the printing system 
 * system-config-printer-common -> backend and the translation files for system-config-printer 
 * system-config-printer-udev -> Utilities to detect and configure printers automatically 
 * system-tools-backends -> System Tools to manage computer configuration -- scripts 
 * systemd -> system and service manager 
 * systemd-coredump -> tools for storing and retrieving coredumps 
 * systemd-sysv -> system and service manager - SysV links 
 * systemd-timesyncd -> minimalistic service to synchronize local time with NTP servers 
 * sysvinit-utils -> System-V-like utilities 
 * t1utils -> Collection of simple Type 1 font manipulation programs 
 * tar -> GNU version of the tar archiving utility 
 * tcpdump -> command-line network traffic analyzer 
 * telnet -> basic telnet client 
 * thermald -> Thermal monitoring and controlling daemon 
 * thunderbird -> Email, RSS and newsgroup client with integrated spam filter 
 * thunderbird-gnome-support -> Email, RSS and newsgroup client - GNOME support 
 * thunderbird-locale-en -> English language pack for Thunderbird 
 * thunderbird-locale-en-us -> Transitional English language pack for Thunderbird 
 * time -> GNU time program for measuring CPU resource usage 
 * timeshift -> System restore utility 
 * timgm6mb-soundfont -> TimGM6mb SoundFont from MuseScore 1.3 
 * tpm-udev -> udev rules for TPM modules 
 * transmission-common -> lightweight BitTorrent client (common files) 
 * transmission-gtk -> lightweight BitTorrent client (GTK+ interface) 
 * ubuntu-dbgsym-keyring -> GnuPG keys of the Ubuntu Debug Symbols Archive 
 * ubuntu-drivers-common -> Detect and install additional Ubuntu driver packages 
 * ubuntu-keyring -> GnuPG keys of the Ubuntu archive 
 * ubuntu-system-adjustments -> Adjustments to the Ubuntu package base 
 * ucf -> Update Configuration File(s): preserve user changes to config files 
 * udev -> /dev/ and hotplug management daemon 
 * udisks2 -> D-Bus service to access and manipulate storage devices 
 * ufw -> program for managing a Netfilter firewall 
 * unrar -> Unarchiver for .rar files (non-free version) 
 * unshield -> extracts CAB files from InstallShield installers 
 * untex -> remove LaTeX commands from input 
 * unzip -> De-archiver for .zip files 
 * update-inetd -> inetd configuration file updater 
 * upower -> abstraction for power management 
 * usb-modeswitch -> mode switching tool for controlling "flip flop" USB devices 
 * usb-modeswitch-data -> mode switching data for usb-modeswitch 
 * usb.ids -> USB ID Repository 
 * usbmuxd -> USB multiplexor daemon for iPhone and iPod Touch devices 
 * usbutils -> Linux USB utilities 
 * user-setup -> Set up initial user and password 
 * util-linux -> miscellaneous system utilities 
 * va-driver-all -> Video Acceleration (VA) API -- driver metapackage 
 * vim-common -> Vi IMproved - Common files 
 * vim-tiny -> Vi IMproved - enhanced vi editor - compact version 
 * wamerican -> American English dictionary words for /usr/share/dict 
 * warpinator -> Allows simple local network file sharing. 
 * wbrazilian -> Brazilian Portuguese wordlist 
 * wbritish -> British English dictionary words for /usr/share/dict 
 * webapp-manager -> Web Application Manager 
 * wfrench -> French dictionary words for /usr/share/dict 
 * wget -> retrieves files from the web 
 * whiptail -> Displays user-friendly dialog boxes from shell scripts 
 * wireless-regdb -> wireless regulatory database 
 * wireless-tools -> Tools for manipulating Linux Wireless Extensions 
 * witalian -> Italian dictionary words for /usr/share/dict/ 
 * wmctrl -> control an EWMH/NetWM compatible X Window Manager 
 * wngerman -> New German orthography wordlist 
 * wogerman -> Traditional German wordlist 
 * wpasupplicant -> client support for WPA and WPA2 (IEEE 802.11i) 
 * wportuguese -> European Portuguese wordlist 
 * wspanish -> Spanish dictionary words for /usr/share/dict 
 * wswiss -> Swiss (German) orthography wordlist 
 * x11-apps -> X applications 
 * x11-common -> X Window System (X.Org) infrastructure 
 * x11-session-utils -> X session utilities 
 * x11-utils -> X11 utilities 
 * x11-xkb-utils -> X11 XKB utilities 
 * x11-xserver-utils -> X server utilities 
 * xapps-common -> Common files for XApp desktop apps 
 * xauth -> X authentication utility 
 * xawtv-plugins -> television viewer - plugins 
 * xbitmaps -> Base X bitmaps 
 * xbrlapi -> Access software for a blind person using a braille display - xbrlapi 
 * xdg-dbus-proxy -> filtering D-Bus proxy 
 * xdg-desktop-portal -> desktop integration portal for Flatpak and Snap 
 * xdg-desktop-portal-gtk -> GTK+/GNOME portal backend for xdg-desktop-portal 
 * xdg-user-dirs -> tool to manage well known user directories 
 * xdg-user-dirs-gtk -> tool to manage well known user directories (Gtk extension) 
 * xdg-utils -> desktop integration utilities from freedesktop.org 
 * xed -> Text editor 
 * xed-common -> Text editor (common files) 
 * xed-dbg -> Text editor (debugging symbols) 
 * xfonts-base -> standard fonts for X 
 * xfonts-encodings -> Encodings for X.Org fonts 
 * xfonts-scalable -> scalable fonts for X 
 * xfonts-utils -> X Window System font utility programs 
 * xfsprogs -> Utilities for managing the XFS filesystem 
 * xinit -> X server initialisation tool 
 * xinput -> Runtime configuration and test of XInput devices 
 * xkb-data -> X Keyboard Extension (XKB) configuration data 
 * xml-core -> XML infrastructure and XML catalog file support 
 * xorg -> X.Org X Window System 
 * xorg-docs-core -> Core documentation for the X.org X Window System 
 * xplayer-thumbnailer -> Media player 
 * xreader -> Document viewer 
 * xreader-common -> Document viewer (common files) 
 * xreader-dbg -> Document viewer (debugging symbols) 
 * xserver-common -> common files used by various X servers 
 * xserver-xephyr -> nested X server 
 * xserver-xorg -> X.Org X server 
 * xserver-xorg-core -> Xorg X server - core server 
 * xserver-xorg-input-all -> X.Org X server -- input driver metapackage 
 * xserver-xorg-input-libinput -> X.Org X server -- libinput input driver 
 * xserver-xorg-input-wacom -> X.Org X server -- Wacom input driver 
 * xserver-xorg-legacy -> setuid root Xorg server wrapper 
 * xserver-xorg-video-all -> X.Org X server -- output driver metapackage 
 * xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu -> X.Org X server -- AMDGPU display driver 
 * xserver-xorg-video-ati -> X.Org X server -- AMD/ATI display driver wrapper 
 * xserver-xorg-video-fbdev -> X.Org X server -- fbdev display driver 
 * xserver-xorg-video-intel -> X.Org X server -- Intel i8xx, i9xx display driver 
 * xserver-xorg-video-nouveau -> X.Org X server -- Nouveau display driver 
 * xserver-xorg-video-qxl -> X.Org X server -- QXL display driver 
 * xserver-xorg-video-radeon -> X.Org X server -- AMD/ATI Radeon display driver 
 * xserver-xorg-video-vesa -> X.Org X server -- VESA display driver 
 * xserver-xorg-video-vmware -> X.Org X server -- VMware display driver 
 * xul-ext-lightning -> Calendar Extension for Thunderbird (transitional package) 
 * xviewer -> Image viewer 
 * xviewer-dbg -> Image viewer - debugging symbols 
 * xviewer-plugins -> set of plugins for xviewer 
 * xwayland -> Xwayland X server 
 * xxd -> tool to make (or reverse) a hex dump 
 * xz-utils -> XZ-format compression utilities 
 * yelp -> Help browser for GNOME 
 * yelp-xsl -> XSL stylesheets for the yelp help browser 
 * youtube-dl -> downloader of videos from YouTube and other sites 
 * zenity -> Display graphical dialog boxes from shell scripts 
 * zenity-common -> Display graphical dialog boxes from shell scripts (common files) 
 * zerofree -> zero free blocks from ext2, ext3 and ext4 file-systems 
 * zip -> Archiver for .zip files 
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

I would say that people in this thread should listen to majpooper and majpooper alone. That is; Linux Mint is very, very (as in very) explicitly intended to be a complete system, preinstalled applications and all. This is to say that if you don't want that you don't want Linux Mint, neither Ubuntu-based nor LMDE. If you do want the Cinnamon desktop you want <some other distribution> + Cinnamon, such as for example Debian + Cinnamon as majpooper has and commented on.

Otherwise this is all really <shrug>. OP tells us he doesn't want Linux Mint. Sure. <shrug>.
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

Ask a simple question, and get smart axe type replies.
I asked (twice) what you thought was bloat in Mint Cinnamon 20.2 (edge), what I got was talk of arguing, and "your complete total" package list, no use to anyone. Which at 2022 total packages, your a little over the default install of 1978 packages, you must have added more than you removed.
I can literally strip everything out that isn't required to run the os. I am not sure I am going to do that though.
I doubt you will either, as it would be a fairly useless system, except maybe to brag about it's small size? You'd need another system to go online to do said bragging.

As Rene said, Mint IS a complete system, if you don't want that you don't want linux mint.

I won't waste my time asking again, life too short. Bye Mike, on my ignore list you went.
Michael_Hathaway
Level 4
Level 4

I jumped into this thread trying to help the OP, that is all. And it seems that all the targets have been placed on me now.

My friends and I just finished our Arch distro and next week we make a Debian based distro. If I personally wanted Cinnamon on top of Debian, I would just use that. But I don't, I use and promote Linux Mint.

If you are angry about me making a script to uninstall packages on Mint, you can point your anger at others who have already completed this project long ago. In fact the administration of this forum helped them do this. Because Linux is about choice and if they wanted to customize Mint to their own needs, then they are allowed to do that. And just because I write a script doesn't even mean I am using it. I'm fine spending my time on something else. The script is finished. I just have to write in what I want to remove, which is a ton of work I don't really have time for. :wink:
rickNS wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:46 pmAs Rene said, Mint IS a complete system, if you don't want that you don't want linux mint.
I won't waste my time asking again, life too short. Bye Mike, on my ignore list you went.
I feel like I was just told "If you are not going to use Linux Mint the way it was shipped, then you shouldn't use it at all". That is so wrong on so many levels. :(

I do believe that rickNS just told me he is taking his marbles and going home? Haha. Ok, everyone has a free choice. I didn't make up that 2022 number. What I did is a fresh install of Mint Edge into my VMware and then entered a command to tell me the number of packages. Nothing else was installed except for the updates that were needed.

Linux Mint is open source, it's not locked down like Microsoft. We all know this. No one should have the attitude that Mint has to remain in the same way as it ships. I am in no way arguing with Clem and his team to what Mint should be. IMO, its perfect how it is. But I was appeasing the court by trying to help others customize their installation to their needs. That is all.

Well anyway, I hope you all don't hold it against me. I was only trying to help.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Michael_Hathaway wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:07 am I feel like I was just told "If you are not going to use Linux Mint the way it was shipped, then you shouldn't use it at all".
That is however not what you were being told. I also feel that the thread may have turned a little overly adversarial here just now, but what at least I told you is simply that while you are clearly free to do any and all, sense it makes not.

Linux Mint is by origin a wrapper around Ubuntu, itself a decidedly and very much by design non-minimal and complete Linux distribution; Mint started out life by adding to that non-minimal base even more out-of-the-box components so as to make it even less minimal and more complete. These days with Cinnamon and the Mint tools and XApps it can not be called "a wrapper" any more but it still has that same decidedly non-minimal base, now then coupled with a higher level that almost radiates that same unchanged, non-minimalist, complete, out-of-the-box philosophy.

If one is a minimalist one these days uses Slackware (or FreeBSD) or Arch or at most Debian. A "minimalist" using Ubuntu or even its specifically even less minimalist offspring Linux Mint is either inexperienced as to what "Linux" is at its base or, shall we say, fond of self-categorisation rather than of minimalism. As such "minimising Linux Mint" is just really besides any conceivable point --- at the very, very least with said minimisation an official installer option, as what this actual thread concerns.

Linux Mint as a thing, as a Linux distribution, is a specifically and explicitly complete system. You hence if you don't want a specifically and explicitly complete system do not want Linux Mint. Sure, even though it to me still makes little sense to start at the diametrically opposite side of where you want to end up, you may supposedly want something based on an install of Linux Mint that is not Linux Mint --- you may for example deeply care for e.g. Mint aesthetics and want to keep just that or some other shallow aspect around --- but this thread is again about whether or not Linux Mint should fundamentally be Linux Mint right from the installation get-go.

I would most decidedly not be someone to hold against anyone not wanting to use Linux Mint, but I'd still advise to be not surprised at commentary that if you do not, simply not doing so might be a more sensible option than suggesting a button in the installer to make Linux Mint be not Linux Mint.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”