Feature Request: Drag window to workspace

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
-CO-Windler
Level 1
Level 1

Feature Request: Drag window to workspace

Post by -CO-Windler »

Please make a proper drag-window-to-workspace support for Cinnamon. Also add fullscreen mode to the window buttons/title bar context menu. Currently there is no standard method for fullscreen. (I mapped the key binding Alt-Return known from some Windows software.)

That dragging windows among workspaces does not work is an absolute no-go. Of course there are key combinations and the workspace grid applet, but this is all very anti-intuitive. Giving them numbers and moving back and forward in one row feels like numbering the places in your livingroom to access and move objects. On my main PC with KDE5 I drag windows out of the way all the time to e.g. copy a text block of a forums in the webbrowser into a text editor, drag the editor elsewhere and add a few lines from a terminal window, drag it again to the next program to add quoted text and finally save the thing.

A drag to side resizing of windows does not need to interfere with dragging to workspaces; simply disable it when a window is maximized, and possibly use an additional mouse button to trigger resizing.

In Cinnamon many things get in the way when I want to switch workspaces. E.g. the Workspace Expo applet should exit when clicking anywhere outside workspaces because I often open it accidentally (mouse over taskbar icon or hot corner) and want to quickly get out without clicking on the previous workspace. The icon should be combinable with a workspace grid view (2x2 or 3x3) instead of having a separate workspace switcher applet which single row view wastes way too much space. IMO the best place for it would be in the context menu, which should show a schematic grid view of the workspaces and (like Expo, or the fvwm Pager) permit to click into it to select a window (switching to that workspace and bringing it to front). Further explanations are in this thread:

How to drag-n-drop between windows in different workspaces?
viewtopic.php?f=90&p=2127356#p2127356
MAY THE SOFTWARE BE WITH YOU!

I research hardware of old music keyboards and soundtoys.
http://weltenschule.de

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”