Thumbnails For exe Files

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
opticyclic

Thumbnails For exe Files

Post by opticyclic »

As many people dual boot Mint with WIndows it would be a nice touch and a further bit of polish to be able to display the exe icons when browsing the Windows drive.
gnome-exe-thumbnailer achieves that pretty well.
Any objections to this being included by default?
DrHu

Re: Thumbnails For exe Files

Post by DrHu »

Well, the first thing that comes to mind:
  • What is the reason/purpose of a dual boot
Meaning that if you are dual booting, you don't need to see anything in windows because you either be booting into the windows OS or the Linux OS
  • And the reason you might dual boot is to be able to run windows OS with its full capacity and functionality
opticyclic

Post by opticyclic »

An interesting point, however, there are many reasons to dual-boot.
My original reason was that my work installed Windows by default and for a certain project I needed a Linux platform to test my development work on.
In this case I still need to browse my Windows drive and the icons make browsing easier.

As I use Mint more, I find myself doing things like backup or housekeeping on my Windows partition from Mint.
As before, being able to see the icons helps as I can scan a directory much quicker looking for a picture rather than reading filenames.

Also, if people come to Mint from Windows, they might not yet be in the scenario that you point out, to fully replace Windows, so will likely browse their Windows drives as well.
Again, its about user experience and the polished impression that one gets from using Mint.
opticyclic

Post by opticyclic »

Seems like it must bug me, because I created a similar suggestion a few months ago! :lol: :oops:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=32004

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”