Linux Mint Forum and advertising

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
beacon
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint Forum and advertising

Post by beacon »

I haven't been able to find a spot for general feedback, so I'll try this. For the last fortnight or so, when I log on to the Forum, I get more than I asked for. (See attachment.) There is no information about what it is; simply the command to 'install' , The implication is that it is official, when in fact it is a Google ploy. I will have nothing to do with Google and think one should be warned what it is, rather than just being given the instruction to 'install'. It is interesting that another site today issues warnings about ticking on such a button, but when I wrote to Admin here I was given an off-hand reply that it was simply advertising and that the Forum depends on such funds. In fact, I have never seen another advert on the site, and if one were to be shown, surely it would be incumbent on the forum to make clear that it is an advert and not, as here, implied to be an official add-on for Linux.
Attachments
Screenshot from 2022-06-24 08-06-48.png
Last edited by karlchen on Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Moved thread to "Suggestions & Feedback", because it is feedback on the Forum itself, not on Linux Mint; and it is not a support request
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Linux Mint Forum and advertising

Post by antikythera »

It's not a Google Ploy, they are an ad-frame provider and it is an advert paid for by one of their ad-frame customers. I see adverts up there because I am not using an ad or script blocker. If you view the forum when you are not logged in, you will see even more adverts interspersed with the topic posts too.

Yes the forum relies on ads for funding, the only way that would change is a donation page similar to the one the main Mint Project has itself is established but getting people to donate to both could be tricky. I don't know if Clem diverts some of the donations from the main project site to the forum or not but am guessing not because otherwise adverts wouldn't be necessary. It is not cheap maintaining the servers and backend software to run a reliable complex forum board these days.

You can tell something is an advert by the two cyan symbols (Adchoices controls) in the corner of the frame. I have a Coupert advert but mine says COUPON CODES AVAILABLE and has a GET CODES button instead of INSTALL like your pictured one.

EDIT - Linux Mint Blog has the same ad-frame to fund it as well
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

beacon wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:57 amFor the last fortnight or so, when I log on to the Forum, I get more than I asked for...

when I wrote to Admin here I was given an off-hand reply that it was simply advertising and that the Forum depends on such funds....

In fact, I have never seen another advert on the site, and if one were to be shown, surely it would be incumbent on the forum to make clear that it is an advert and not, as here, implied to be an official add-on for Linux.
The forum has used that section of the webpage for advertising for years. This is not something new.

If you only noticed something there the last two weeks, then it is likely a setting related to your browser changed. Do you recall making any changes to the system or browser approximately two weeks ago?
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
beacon
Level 4
Level 4

Post by beacon »

Thank you for the replies. I have never noticed adverts before, but I have taken steps to block them which, it appears, have been effective. I can't think of a change in my browser that would make a difference. I am not opposed to adverts if they are necessary for the upkeep of the forums, and I agree that appeal for monetary support would probably not be all that productive. However, I do think that my other point is a significant one. Just above the sign-in slot is a notice of a free browser extension, with directions to 'install'. I assumed, and I think that many rational persons would do the same, that it concerned Linux Mint and was an official statement. Newspapers are obliged to make clear when an item is an advert, and I think the same should apply here. (Without having to look for small symbols to check.)

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”