Reverse lookup for keyboard shortcuts

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
minticle
Level 1
Level 1

Reverse lookup for keyboard shortcuts

Post by minticle »

I've wanted this function for a while... Currently, going to Settings>Keyboard>Shortcuts allows one to navigate through functions/actions and see what shortcuts are currently assigned to them. What I would really like is an easy way to see what a particular keyboard shortcut does, in reverse. Ideally, it would work from that area of Settings, maybe as a tab or a button in the Shortcuts window:

[Look up keyboard shortcut] > [Press key combination to see its assignments]

I don't know if I need to explain why this would be useful for newbies, but here goes. If I don't know what a particular action is called, it is a lot more time-consuming for me to figure out how to change it. But it sometimes happens, when upgrading to a new version of Linux Mint, that a new action starts happening when I deliberately or accidentally hit a familiar key combo, and I have no idea what to call it.

(Yes, it's not my first rodeo and I know that these functions are all listed somewhere in a simple text file, which can be edited in an editor or via a bunch of dedicated apps. But as I said, for a simple, newbie-friendly way of navigating keyboard shortcuts, this would be what I think is easiest.)

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”