The option to pick what programs the OS comes with after installing

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
ChocoMint is better
Level 1
Level 1

The option to pick what programs the OS comes with after installing

Post by ChocoMint is better »

I fear i might be just looking for submarines in the air with this one, since linux mint is known to be a plug 'n play distro that comes with all you need from the getgo, but while i love linux mint i'd like to have it not come with things that im not sure i will be needing, as an example, libre office.

Is it feasible to have options in the installation to pick what software beyond the basics should be installed with the OS? Kind of like how it already does with the video codecs?
GELvdH
Level 5
Level 5

Re: The option to pick what programs the OS comes with after installing

Post by GELvdH »

The easiest thing is to uninstall whatever you don't like (LibreOffice) and put in what you like. I don't believe you can change the installation .iso to suit your particular desires unless you want to re write the code.
ChocoMint is better
Level 1
Level 1

GELvdH wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:55 pm The easiest thing is to uninstall whatever you don't like (LibreOffice) and put in what you like. I don't believe you can change the installation .iso to suit your particular desires unless you want to re write the code.
I currently do exactly that, i just thought that it wouldn't be a terribly bad idea to give you options on pre-install about what kind of features to have.
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by RIH »

That is far more an 'Arch' approach to life & while I am not saying that is wrong, I believe that one of the aims of Mint is to be user friendly & no-one has ever accused Arch of that!! :D

Personally I am happy to delete & add as i please and am just grateful that is permitted.
I recently purchased a new Xiaomi phone & it was pre-installed with all sorts of social media crap but I was delighted to discover that, unlike previous Samsung phones, everything could be deleted.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

This topic seems to come up every so often. Here is what was discussed a few months ago Minimal Installation Option.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
ChocoMint is better
Level 1
Level 1

RIH wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:02 pm That is far more an 'Arch' approach to life & while I am not saying that is wrong, I believe that one of the aims of Mint is to be user friendly & no-one has ever accused Arch of that!! :D

Personally I am happy to delete & add as i please and am just grateful that is permitted.
I recently purchased a new Xiaomi phone & it was pre-installed with all sorts of social media crap but I was delighted to discover that, unlike previous Samsung phones, everything could be deleted.
Haha, yes, im aware, its why i knew that my suggestion wasn't gonna be very supported, i still just thought it would be nice to have the option before the installation, since i personally LOVE the DE and how mint works but i'd like to see it in more of a diet. Not much, im not going for the Arch extreme where "having drivers for parts i dont currently have is bloat", but i thought more options in general is always a good thing.
rambo919
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rambo919 »

The one thing openSUSE does very well is it's method of initial install with an excellent package choice section.

Makes me sad that the rest of it is such a mess.....
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

ChocoMint is better wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:10 pm Is it feasible to have options in the installation to pick what software beyond the basics should be installed with the OS?
Feasible - yes
Realistic - no
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

Well yes, they'd have to switch the installer to Calamares and enable the package selection options. Not exactly a simple undertaking but it can be done (Manjaro did something similar when it shipped with multiple office suites on the ISO for a while - the selection was limited to which of those to use but it is proof of concept)

OpenSUSE is designed for workstations and not really geared towards consumer usage which is why it may come across as a mess. In reality, the other rpm package management distributions RHEL, Fedora and CentOS can be equally convoluted.

OpenSUSE's Open Build Service is an absolute gem.

Gecko is more suitable for consumer usage but there's a very real risk of what happens if the single developer gets hit by a bus scenario. OpenSUSE can be over-complicated but only if you aren't used to YaST and snapshot management.

There is a simplicity to Mint which brings a double edged sword. You can't please everyone all of the time.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
ChocoMint is better
Level 1
Level 1

antikythera wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:15 am Well yes, they'd have to switch the installer to Calamares and enable the package selection options. Not exactly a simple undertaking but it can be done (Manjaro did something similar when it shipped with multiple office suites on the ISO for a while - the selection was limited to which of those to use but it is proof of concept)

OpenSUSE is designed for workstations and not really geared towards consumer usage which is why it may come across as a mess. In reality, the other rpm package management distributions RHEL, Fedora and CentOS can be equally convoluted.

OpenSUSE's Open Build Service is an absolute gem.

Gecko is more suitable for consumer usage but there's a very real risk of what happens if the single developer gets hit by a bus scenario. OpenSUSE can be over-complicated but only if you aren't used to YaST and snapshot management.

There is a simplicity to Mint which brings a double edged sword. You can't please everyone all of the time.
Right, i thought having more options was a bit more easier of an undertaking than i thought.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

It's the targeted group.
Many more want an all in one--ish installation.

And for those that don't there are alternatives.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”