Iso for chose/install all versions of Linux mint

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
  • Only post ideas here that are specifically about the Linux Mint distribution or its websites.
  • So that developers and users from any distribution can discuss ideas in one place, post ideas about improving software to the collaboration website for that software instead.
szamot83
Level 2
Level 2

Iso for chose/install all versions of Linux mint

Post by szamot83 »

Hello.

My idea is to create one small iso with new installer. Iso should contain only graphical installer and basic network tool. User run it, and chose which version of Linux Mint he want to install. All packages (including language files) are downloaded from net in their never version.
Installer should have some mock-ups of every version (Window manager) and should explain what is graphical environment.

Now installation looks like this:
1 I'm downloading iso - old kernel, old apps, without my language
2 installing it & downloading language packs
3 dist-upgrade - new kernel, apps etc.
4 personalizing.

With this small iso it will be:
1 downloading iso
2 installing
3 personalizing.

I know that there are net-install CD's, but they have text based installer. I'm talking about installer which should be "new Linux Users friendly" with basic network configuration and installer only.

What do you think about it??

Regards

P.S. Sorry for my English.

emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Iso for chose/install all versions of Linux mint

Post by emorrp1 »

Even disregarding the technical difficulties of this, it's not quite that simple. Step (2) installing would actually be:
2a) installing minimal system (though having a GUI kind of defeats this)
2b) downloading packages (including updates to minimal system)
2c) installing packages
The bottleneck would be stage (2b) as anyone who's upgraded in place will tell you, it'd probably take at least 6hrs on a 8Mb connection, assuming you do it at an off-peak time of the day. By the time it had done this, you could have done all the personalising you like and been using your new install for several hours already using the current method. The reason Mint installs so quick is that the CD is a compressed archive of a full system which is extracted to the hard-drive which then receives some minor tweaks. That's why the install size is limited by the compression technology, currently a 700MB ISO can install an approx 2.2GiB system in under 30mins.
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
Hint - use a google search including the search term site:forums.linuxmint.com

szamot83
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Iso for chose/install all versions of Linux mint

Post by szamot83 »

emorrp1 wrote:6hrs on a 8Mb connection
I was thinking, that packages are compressed and it will not take so much time.
Thank's for bringing me to the ground.

Regards.

Return to “Suggestions & New Ideas”