Criticism on the current state…

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
Evi1M4chine
Level 1
Level 1

Criticism on the current state…

Post by Evi1M4chine »

[Since replies to announcements are hidden until approved, I’ll post this here in the hopes that it will be visible by default.]

Back in the days: “Our new version gives you even more power with only a few paradigms! Face even larger tasks easily, and automate all your work away! 8) … Specifically, we added these emergent aspects: …”

Now: “In our new release, you have even less power, because we removed even more of everything! But you’re in luck, because the time when OSes weren’t good enough in the context of the rigidified paradigm that emerged from marketing demanding that OSes look good in business ads, have been over for decades. So the only thing we changed was the looks! Which only makes things a little bit more cumbersome … again. … and surely must justify a new release! … Rejoice in our steady path towards inevitably becoming a perfectly featureless function-free rock! (Can’t be a mirror, due to Apple patent infringement, but: Praise Lord Jobs!)” :lol:

TL;DR: ~/memes/PleaseDontTurnMeIntoAnOversimplifiedX.gif

</existential-criticism>
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Criticism on the current state…

Post by Moem »

Evi1M4chine_ wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:26 am [Since replies to announcements are hidden until approved, I’ll post this here in the hopes that it will be visible by default.]
Nope! But now that this is approved, I'll remove your other post. Duplicates are not a good use of space. Welcome to the forum!
By the way, all posts by first time posters are hidden until approved. There is a very good reason for that: half of it or more is spam.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

I'm wondering... Could you maybe make your feedback clearer and more specific to Linux Mint Vera?
This is Feedback & Suggestions. What, precisely, is your feedback? What are your suggestions?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
duracell80
Level 3
Level 3

Post by duracell80 »

We come here because it's not GNOME.

This is a trend with "modernization" and gosh I sound old right now. I'm not a Luddite I promise. Back in my day we had sliders and toggles and switches and you could buy a bus ticket and some hula hoops for 95p and we had zip disks and brought CD's and people thought politics was boring, the news channels presented actual news and everyone played nicely in the streets. It was a better time.

Modern doesn't have to mean less functional (less configurable). There's a balance between easy to use and too many options but we seems as an industry to be going towards "This is our product, this is how we want you to use it, don't mess with it". So they take away things under the guise of making it easier to use and more standard, but that's not why people came here. They came here because there were 50 configuration options.

The worst part particularly with big tech is they are listening less and less to the end user.

"Enjoy the power and beauty of your youth, oh nevermind ..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTJ7AzBIJoI
Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free To Wear Sunscreen
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

duracell80 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:31 am This is a trend with "modernization" and gosh I sound old right now.
The older I get, the more the world starts looking like a residential mental health facility. I mean, in my youth the world was already rather crazy, but the levels of modern-day insanity are probably historically unparalleled. :shock:

Anyway, I'm very happy with Linux Mint. And I quite like the way its looks have been improved. No power has been taken from me in the latest Mint, because there's always the almighty terminal....
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

This is a trend with "modernization" and gosh I sound old right now. I'm not a Luddite I promise. Back in my day we had sliders and toggles and switches and you could buy a bus ticket and some hula hoops for 95p and we had zip disks and brought CD's and people thought politics was boring, the news channels presented actual news and everyone played nicely in the streets. It was a better time.
In some respects those were better times. However, I think we tend to remember the good things and try and forget the bad. When I was young you either went to Canada or signed up for the draft. Your Uncles were off fighting a war that was not properly explained and left a lot of doubt as to why we were there - Vietnam. There were hard economic times. Jobs were disappearing as quickly as you got one. Cars only lasted to about 80k miles. There were riots in the cities. Its all in what you remember from your youth. Sure, There was a lot of good things too. However, Technology and life does move on and we tend to not like change as we get older.
The worst part particularly with big tech is they are listening less and less to the end user.
I have always subscribed to the idea that the free market should determine the course of things. Big Tech is still listening to the end user. However, They are now doing it without your consent and behind your back. That is the one main factor of why I am here in Linux. Of course the above comment always reminds me of ubuntu/gnome/unity desktop and how they forced it upon us. This is why I am here with Linux Mint. I do not think those in power with Linux Mint are forcing anything. I would more think that ubuntu's changes directly affect LM and have to be weeded out as best as possible by the LM maintainers. IMHO, Big Tech suffers from the "god syndrome". They think they know what is best and their *hit does not stink.

As we get older we are more able to weigh what was and what is - and drawing a conclusion from it. The bad in modern times tends to stand out to us more.

I think LM is the cream of the crop as far as a desktop operating system goes. You have choice between desktop environments and if you want you can still change things.
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
Dell PE T610, Dell PE T710
- List your hardware Profile: inxi -Fxpmrz
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
Beerislife
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Beerislife »

When I started drinking, a pint of bitter cost 20 pence! Now look at the prices!

Sorry, did I miss something about this thread!? I may have to reconfigure my glass, it's almost empty...
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

Beerislife wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:59 am When I started drinking, a pint of bitter cost 20 pence! Now look at the prices!

Sorry, did I miss something about this thread!? I may have to reconfigure my glass, it's almost empty...
When I was a little ity bity one and sat in the back of the station wagon with my brother gas was .36 cents a gallon (US). When the attendant started filling the tank we would stick our heads outside the back window and sniff the fumes :) . If we got a full tank then we would get some gift like a set of drinking glasses or something.

I do not do bitter (beer?). I do coffee. Same principal though :) I reconfigure my coffee cup.
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
Dell PE T610, Dell PE T710
- List your hardware Profile: inxi -Fxpmrz
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
duracell80
Level 3
Level 3

Post by duracell80 »

To the OP's point:
"$HOME/Pictures/memes/PleaseDontTurnMeIntoAnOversimplifiedX"

Here is an example of that. In the olden-days a content management system would let you configure if you wanted a link to open in a new window (which became tab) or not. Now-a-days the content management system is thinking for us and making choices we may not want. To make the UI "simple" the option to make the choice is now off-loaded to a logic block that says if the link is external to the site it must open in a new tab. If you wanted an internal to the domain link to open in a new tab, there's no option to do that. The system is making a decision based on a generalization and not allowing you as the end user to override what it thinks you want.

The same thing is very evident in politics, distill a complex issue down to a sound bite and you've oversimplified everything so much that to disagree must be blasphemous. But I just want a checkbox to open a link in a new tab or not, how did we end up shouting "check-boxes are not patriotic" and joining a protest rally against toggles? BTW I'd be on the side that was waiving banners "I thought you wanted freedom?". My love of toggles and checkboxes must be woke and liberal or something equally dumb like that. I would think this rally would include "Libadwaita or Die" banners too but anyways, it's all ridiculous. How did we get here?

And you can't do anything about that, you can't configure that behavior, there's no feature flag to stop the system over simplifying it, there's rarely an "advanced option" in the UI to override the over simplification. It's an over simplification and the feature request to put it back to the way it was is ignored in the name of progress. It's their way or nobody's.

Not in Mint but the trend is to force things upon users. Some veterans can fight back, others are just left with something less useful than what they had before. It's "modern" ... but it's useless junk and even worse some of this stuff can be turned over to AI so now it's GPT3.5 telling you what you should want.

A strong and confident product direction is great, but the more they as developers isolate themselves from users or rely on data the more polarized the view of the product would be. If you don't agree with the direction the devs are taking you then have to fork and make your own path. That's how we ended up with Cinnamon right? To that end falling out with the developers view might be ok. If everyone could just listen to each other, wouldn't we be better off? Everything is so polarized and over simplified, and I sound old :)
dorsetUK
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dorsetUK »

duracell80 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:45 pm ... and I sound old :)
Yep. :mrgreen:

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”