Why is there no Xfce version for LMDE 5?

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
Distronaut
Level 1
Level 1

Why is there no Xfce version for LMDE 5?

Post by Distronaut »

Why is it so impossible for the Mint team to ship a Xfce version aswell of the Debian edition? It would make it even more stable than it already is, now it's a rock but then it would be a diamond. Yes, I know Cinnamon (which I also love) and MATE is their thing. For me Xfce and Debian kinda go hand in hand when I'll want something super stable that is.
Last edited by SMG on Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved from Main Edition: Xfce to Suggestions & Feedback because this is not a request for help with Main Edition Linux Mint.
manyroads
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Why is there no Xfce version for LMDE 5?

Post by manyroads »

Simply install xfce4 if you wish to use it. It is available in synaptic.
Pax vobiscum,
...mark
SwayWM, i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm
Professional Genealogist & Technologist
(http://eirenicon.org & http://many-roads.com)
deck_luck
Level 7
Level 7

Post by deck_luck »

Please read the Where to post ideas & feature requests link.

The Linux Mint Team does a nice job theming and tweaking the standard Linux Mint XFCE release. If you install standard XFCE desktop environment on the LM Debian release it will probably be unattractive. If you are good at theming and tweaking XFCE then go for it. I have a feeling if you have that capability you would not be posting this thread.
🐧Linux Mint 20.3 XFCE (UEFI - Secure Boot Enabled) dual boot with Windows 11

Give a friend a fish, and you feed them for a day. Teach a friend how to fish, and you feed them for a lifetime. ✝️
Distronaut
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Distronaut »

deck_luck wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:08 am Please read the Where to post ideas & feature requests link.

The Linux Mint Team does a nice job theming and tweaking the standard Linux Mint XFCE release. If you install standard XFCE desktop environment on the LM Debian release it will probably be unattractive. If you are good at theming and tweaking XFCE then go for it. I have a feeling if you have that capability you would not be posting this thread.
Thanks for the link, will read that.

It is unattractive, already tested and tried my best to make it look like main Mint with the Xfce (not happy with it), and yes I like the look the Mint team have done for the Xfce on the Ubuntu based one. Also I am sure there's more to Mint's Xfce than the plain one. Oh almost forgot, there's a 32-bit version of LMDE so if if your running a 32-bit then Xfce would be a better choice than Cinnamon. Would be great if it was available for both 64/32-bit.
Joss
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Joss »

If you must have Debian/Xfce you can go with either Debian or MX-Linux.
Distronaut
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Distronaut »

Joss wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:39 pm If you must have Debian/Xfce you can go with either Debian or MX-Linux.
There's alot that comes with Mint that don't come with vanilla Debian, also Debian's website is a nightmare when trying to find the right ISO (it's like they don't want new users to use their distro), however I ran Debian for a while then it wanted me to upgrade to a newer kernel and it wouldn't let me for some reason, so then I dumped Debian for LMDE, and was/is VERY happy besides wanting a Xfce edition for LMDE. Xfce looks exactly the same as it does on Debian when installing it to LMDE.

MX Linux, no thanks, the people behind that distro I don't trust, that's enough for me to not go with MX.
Last edited by xenopeek on Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited to comply with forum rules
Distronaut
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Distronaut »

deck_luck wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:08 am Please read the Where to post ideas & feature requests link.
Have read that now and was about to write a request about a Xfce edition for LMDE 5, but can't find where exactly on https://github.com/linuxmint to do so?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Distronaut wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:09 pm
Have read that now and was about to write a request about a Xfce edition for LMDE 5, but can't find where exactly on https://github.com/linuxmint to do so?
You're being misdirected. This forum is the right place for general suggestions for Linux Mint such as yours.

GitHub is not the place for this because this is not about "software developed by Linux Mint". With that I mean programs that Linux Mint develops — that Linux Mint writes the code for. Linux Mint does not write the code for Xfce. A LMDE Xfce edition would take the software developed by the Xfce developers and compile and package it to use on a LMDE ISO.

Anyway if you search the forums you'll find this has been suggested and asked before. Just about 1% of Linux Mint users are on LMDE so it's hard to justify adding an extra LMDE edition because doing so would take time away from other projects; something else would need to be scrapped. LMDE is important to Linux Mint but as others responded you can install any other DE/WM that you want on top of it. Yes it would take you a bit of time to make it look like Linux Mint Xfce.
Tolayon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Tolayon »

Installing Xfce via Synaptic should be the easiest way if you want explicitly LMDE with that DE. The only thing you still would have most likely to do is manually set up Xfce after logging in for the first time - by default it comes with a vanilla Xfce Layout, like on plain Debian.
Last edited by xenopeek on Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: discussion about other OSes, and posts replying to that, removed -- that can be discussed in Chat about Linux

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”