Songbird By Default

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
  • Only post ideas here that are specifically about the Linux Mint distribution or its websites.
  • So that developers and users from any distribution can discuss ideas in one place, post ideas about improving software to the collaboration website for that software instead.
opticyclic
Level 3
Level 3

Songbird By Default

Post by opticyclic »

The main reason I started looking for a new audio player was because Rhythmbox doesn't allow you to just Open a file.
I would have to import it then have to find it in my library.
Other players let you just open your files directly, which put me on my search.

I tried Listen and Exaile but was disappointed with their interface.
Banshee was better and wasn't so simplistic, but still looked a bit too childlike.
Amarok looked more polished still, but I eventually got tired of the strange way some of it worked (single clicks instead of double when browsing the filesystem, replace playlist etc)

Then I came across Songbird.
Finally an application that doesn't suffer from Gnomes Gigantism!
I was blown away by how much better it looks than the other available audio players.

Compare the look of the following music players.
Don't you agree that Songbird looks the most professional?

Rhythmbox (default)
Rhythmbox.png
Listen:
Listen.png
Songbird:
Songbird.png
This is the sort of thing that comes under 'first impressions' and is likely to influence peoples view of Mint.
Shouldn't we be using Songbird by default?
opticyclic
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Songbird By Default

Post by opticyclic »

The max. attachments per post is 3 so I have added the other screenshots here:

Exaile:
Exaile.png
Banshee:
Banshee.png
Amarok:
Amarok.png
markcynt
Level 6
Level 6

Post by markcynt »

Tried em all.

I prefer Amarok.
P5N-E SLI, Core2Duo E6850 3GHZ X 2
2 GB DDR2 800MHZ
EVGA 8800GTS 320MB
2x320GB Hitachi
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
opticyclic
Level 3
Level 3

Post by opticyclic »

markcynt wrote:Tried em all.

I prefer Amarok.
Thanks for the drive-by reply :roll:
However, could you elaborate slightly please to keep the conversation flowing.

Is it Amaroks look that you are saying that you prefer?
Or its functionality?
Or that you think that Amarok looks more professional than Songbird?
Or that you think that Amarok should be installed by default and not Songbird as suggested?

What are your reasons for each?

As a side note; are you using Amarok in GNOME or KDE?
El_Tate
Level 1
Level 1

Post by El_Tate »

Well... i think that we should revise the multimedia apps by default. I don't use totem since always has a problem with each type of format..., i don't use rythmbox since i don't like the jukebox style (i don't know why the hell all the world has to mimic the iTunes UI).

What i do when i have a fresh install of Mint is... first of all install Audacious2. It's a great music player... simple and fast and has all the functions that i look for a music player. A playlist, an Eq (importing from winamp), last.fm scrobbler, integration with gnome (and emesene, and music-applet) and plays every format that i've on my music collection (from mp3 to flac passing from m4a, wma, ogg, mpc, ape...). So i think that we should include Audacious2 (or audacious classic or audlegacy from the ppa of the developer) by default instead of rythmbox. Plus, i don't know anyone who is comfortable with rythmbox...

In the video side..., as i've said before... i always have a issue playing a video with totem. No matters the backend (better with xine and plugins installed), always there's a problem that crap.
What i do is install MPlayer (anyone of the variants... gnome-mplayer, mplayer itself or SMPlayer) and enyoy my videos without a problem since is FFMpeg based. And/or VLC considering the QT dependencies.

But for me, mplayer is a great solution for dvd and video reproduction.

PS: Sorry for the misspelling, i talk spanish.
markcynt
Level 6
Level 6

Post by markcynt »

opticyclic wrote:
markcynt wrote:Tried em all.

I prefer Amarok.
Thanks for the drive-by reply :roll:
However, could you elaborate slightly please to keep the conversation flowing.

Is it Amaroks look that you are saying that you prefer?
Or its functionality?
Or that you think that Amarok looks more professional than Songbird?
Or that you think that Amarok should be installed by default and not Songbird as suggested?

What are your reasons for each?

As a side note; are you using Amarok in GNOME or KDE?
If you must know.. :mrgreen:

It functions like I want it to

Don't really care about looks

I don't really care what's installed by default. Amarok would be fine with me.

I mainly use openSUSE 11.2 KDE but also use Linux Mint 8 Main, so I use it in both environments. 8)
P5N-E SLI, Core2Duo E6850 3GHZ X 2
2 GB DDR2 800MHZ
EVGA 8800GTS 320MB
2x320GB Hitachi
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
killyourfm
Level 1
Level 1

Post by killyourfm »

@opticyclic: I'll be the first to wholeheartedly agree with you. Songbird was the only app that replaced the look n feel of iTunes (and it easily imported my play counts and playlists), and I love it.

Throw a mint-themed feather in there, and the first impression is amazing...

BUT . . . until Songbird for Linux has CD ripping support, and a decent podcast management solution, it can't be considered the "goto" music app and probably shouldn't be preinstalled.
Host & Founder: http://www.insomniaradio.net
The Best Music You've Never Heard

Mental Doodles & Lost Thoughts: http://www.JasonEvangelho.com
Aevum
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Aevum »

To be honest I've always been using Rythmbox, I used to had around 60GBs of music on my old PC, 40 Now.. I just imported everything so I had the chance to scroll the artist list or let it play shuffle, which I enjoy a lot to space through all my library, the possibility to make a fast "Play Queue", I was also able to Sync my iPod with it. so it kinda did satisfact me... Now I'll try SongBird and I'll be giving you feedback and which differences I found and which I consider better / worse :)
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

I have no iddues with rhythmbox at all. It's simple, doesn't get in your way, and is easy to use. Other stuff can be installed later, but i think it suits most peoples needs, and isn't too "busy" interface-wise. I've never had a problem with it. :)
ell02
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ell02 »

I mostly listen to shoutcast streams and had to load them into rhymbox, not a big deal.Then i found songbird was great for browsing and playing shoutcast streams.Now currently i am using exaile to stream my music. At this time i rather like it better , why i could not tell you i just do.
El_Tate
Level 1
Level 1

Post by El_Tate »

QMMP did some great improvements. But it hasn't the amount of plugins as audacious does.
Aevum
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Aevum »

Songbird is really well equipped and structured. I'm still using Rhythmbox though as, growing up using it, I find it way more confortable.. But Songbird does worth trying indeed!
mkrueger
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mkrueger »

My favored music player: http://banshee-project.org/
I really like it (I think ubuntu consider this one too).
Aevum
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Aevum »

All I want my music player to be is something plain where to play my songs on, I don't need any of the adds such as artist information, last.fm
I also like a lot the Rhythmbox's lyrics add-on, pressing ctrl+l you get a pop-up window with the lyrics of the song you're listening to!
yddet12
Level 1
Level 1

Post by yddet12 »

If Rhythmbox does continue to be the default player included, can we at least get a way to rearrange the columns (song, artist, album, etc) in that program? A request for that feature has been around since (I believe) 2003, so maybe we can finally create this feature.
mintnoob
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mintnoob »

In the new Songbird 1.4.3, does anybody know how to get the fonts in the top window border to change? Some of the fonts reflect what I choose my default system font to be, but not all the fonts in SB.
Chakra Linux
greatbigdragon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by greatbigdragon »

I tried Songbird because I thought it was going to be something special, but I don't like the fact that it requires one to pay for a subscription to Last.fm in order to use it (which is something that Rhythmbox doesn't do.) Not that Rhythmbox pleases me either, minimizing to the taskbar tray when I want it to close!

There's too much going on in these music players and sometimes it feels like they're taking all the power of file management away from the users. What happened to those days when you'd venture into your music collection and play a single file? I mean, you want to hear it, right? Instead, we take up excessive memory by using an application that has to check for new content, display album art and artist info and all that. That's great, if that's what you want, but why open a program that requires the memory of twelve when just one would do?

Of course, there's a valid argument for the single program - if you can find a program that does it all, then you have just the one program and not the twelve. You reap boons in terms of simplicity and centrality. Is there one of those for Gnome? I want to be able to play songs, radio streams, and Last.fm; rip CDs, edit tags, and anything else you could want an audio library manager to do.
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

greatbigdragon wrote:I tried Songbird because I thought it was going to be something special, but I don't like the fact that it requires one to pay for a subscription to Last.fm in order to use it

What? Since when?
greatbigdragon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by greatbigdragon »

Well . . . since I installed it. It sits on my system still, yet I can not bring myself to use it because when I click on Last.fm on the left, it tells me this: "to use Last.fm, you must be subscribed." When I clicked on the "subscribe" link in the same dialog, it brought up a window where I can subscribe to Last.fm for three dollars a month.

Therefore, I can't use Last.fm at all on Songbird, because the program will not allow me to. . . because I don't want to pay for it. And it's unreasonable for Songbird to require a paid subscription when neither Rhythmbox nor the Last.fm player do so!

I have already entered my login and password for Last.fm into Songbird; if you know more about this, please feel free to enlighten me.
Craig
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Craig »

That is a problem in the older versions of Songbird. In the new one which I have installed the whole issue around Last.fm has been revised so you do not get that issue any more.

Songbird by default is good providing you can keep up with the latest versions.

Return to “Suggestions & New Ideas”