Future of file size calculations in Mint?

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
  • Only post ideas here that are specifically about the Linux Mint distribution or its websites.
  • So that developers and users from any distribution can discuss ideas in one place, post ideas about improving software to the collaboration website for that software instead.

How many bytes should a kilobyte have in file sizes?

Poll ended at Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:18 pm

1 kByte should be 1024 bytes
90%
1 kByte shoud be 1000 bytes
10%

Total votes: 10

recluce
Level 1
Level 1

Future of file size calculations in Mint?

Post by recluce »

I am a long-time Ubuntu user and active alpha tester. Recently, Ubuntu has initiated weird changes, like moving the window buttons to the left, which caused a lot of noise (even though you can easily correct this). Far more disconcerting to me (and not easily changed) is that Ubuntu Lucid has changed the way it calculates file sizes. Most every OS ever created (with the exception of OSX Snow Leopard) uses file size calculations based on base2 - or 1024 bytes = 1 kB, 1024² = 1 MB, 1024³ = 1 GB - and so on.

Now Ubuntu Lucid is following the lead of Snow Leopard and uses base10, defining 1000 bytes = 1 kB, 10⁶ bytes = 1 MB and 10⁹ bytes = 1 GB and so on. This creates confusion and file sizes that appear to be wrong. While the Ubuntu developers believe that everybody else but them and Apple are wrong and considers the base2 size calculation as "broken and inconsistent", I would like to know what the Mint developers and community think. Will a kilobyte remain 1024 bytes here for the forseeable future or are you on the 1 kB is 1000 bytes wagon?

Greetings from British Columbia,

Stephan

(who needs a new home after Jaunty support ends, even though green is not my favorite colour.. :wink: )

Moderators: sorry if this should be the wrong forum, please move if appropriate.

viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Future of file size calculations in Mint?

Post by viking777 »

I don't like the idea, but if it is in Ubuntu then it will migrate to Mint as well. Mint customises the look and feel of Ubuntu and adds a few very useful extras to it, but in my experience it doesn't rewrite the 'innards' so to speak
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).

recluce
Level 1
Level 1

Post by recluce »

I just don't know enough about the Mint developpers - and what they would be willing to do and not to do. As far as I understand it, it would involve changing a couple of lines in the source of nautilus, glib and a few other libraries I am not sure about. Unfortunately, that does not mean that I would be able to do it.

If the Mint community would feel strongly about this, maybe there is a chance?

Shaddix
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Shaddix »

you shouldn't mess with maths

8 bit = 1 byte
you can't neglect that fact

if you say 1mb = 1000 bytes, it's just wrong
a state of mint..

Return to “Suggestions & New Ideas”