Host Names

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
  • Only post ideas here that are specifically about the Linux Mint distribution or its websites.
  • So that developers and users from any distribution can discuss ideas in one place, post ideas about improving software to the collaboration website for that software instead.
mhwelsh
Level 2
Level 2

Host Names

Post by mhwelsh »

This is not really a bug report it is really a 'it would be nice if' report.

The following is based on two or more installations of MintLinux from scratch on two separate computers.
The computers are to be connected through a router either by wireless or ethernet the behaviour is not apparently affected by which interconnection medium is used.
The interconnection is achieved by using Autoconnect on either eth0 or wlan0 this selects DHCP operation.
When the installation is complete no entries are made in the host files of either computer to supply the name of the other computer. Because DHCP connection is used it is unsafe to predict what the ip address of each computer will be. If no manual entries are made in /etc/hosts Samba does not work as the /etc/samba/lmhosts file is not included and consequently, where the only user input is to add the Workgroup to the /etc/samba/smb.conf file, samba does not know what the distant host name means.

The router provides the DHCP master control and is only expected to return an ip address to those calling for one. Whilst some routers may display the host name and the respective ip addresses side by side they are only expected to send details of the allocated address back to each computer.
Translation of host names is apparently a more complex subject as it seems to produce a far more complex answer.
I am not an expert in fact the term numpty I will own up to but not expert!
Apparently all good routers generate a routing table and all routers claim to have a DomainNameServer facility. If I were inventing the system I would avoid cluttering up the internet with unnecessary traffic and do as much as possible using the minimum resources possible. I would ensure that any traffic destined for another address within the LAN would be sent to the other address within the LAN and nowhere else. The only addresses that would pass through the router to the outside world would be Domain Names correctly constructed. The routers DHCP exercise allocating the ip addresses to the host names would construct the routing table. I think that good routers try to do this, I think that some routers don't do it. I have yet to meet a router that modifies the /etc/hosts file.

My suggestion is that software is written that keeps the /etc/hosts file updated with the host names and ip addresses allocated by the DHCP master.

I have records of system malfunctions which demonstrate some of the anomalies referred to.

martin welsh

remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Host Names

Post by remoulder »

mhwelsh wrote:software is written that keeps the /etc/hosts file updated with the host names and ip addresses allocated by the DHCP master.
Not sure this would be useful?
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.

BrianD
Level 4
Level 4

Post by BrianD »

mhwelsh wrote:I have yet to meet a router that modifies the /etc/hosts file.

My suggestion is that software is written that keeps the /etc/hosts file updated with the host names and ip addresses allocated by the DHCP master.
I doubt you will ever see such a thing. if you type ls -lh /etc/hosts, you'll see that the file is writable only by the owner, and that the owner is root. Doing as you suggest, above, would mean allowing root access to a piece of software residing in the router. ...yes, the same router that has the entire friendly internet on the other side of it.
need I say more??

mhwelsh
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mhwelsh »

In my very limited experience it appears that the hosts file is still used by other facilities/programmes as a resource, perhaps the only one, to coordinate host names and ip addresses within the local group. My suggestion is that the allocation of ip addresses should tell all users in the local network which host name has been allotted which address. It is not increasing the amount of information, it should not be a problem for file ownership as the information is emanating from 'root' surely.
My system will not function without putting the host/ip information into every machine in the local network.
No pings, no Nautilus file sharing and no Samba.
How do your machines work and mine won't?

martin welsh

BrianD
Level 4
Level 4

Post by BrianD »

mhwelsh wrote:In my very limited experience it appears that the hosts file is still used by other facilities/programmes as a resource, perhaps the only one, to coordinate host names and ip addresses within the local group. My suggestion is that the allocation of ip addresses should tell all users in the local network which host name has been allotted which address. It is not increasing the amount of information, it should not be a problem for file ownership as the information is emanating from 'root' surely.
My system will not function without putting the host/ip information into every machine in the local network.
No pings, no Nautilus file sharing and no Samba.
How do your machines work and mine won't?
What you described, earlier, is a function of a Network Administrator, not the function of a router. The NA is responsible for proper setup and operation of the network.

My machines work because I have configured my router to always assign the same IP, based on the machine's MAC address (and, this will change if the network card in a particular machine is swapped out). The /etc/hosts file on each machine is then configured so that the "short name" of every machine/device on the network is specified. It's a one-time setup, and again, it only changes if machines are added or (permanently) removed from the network, or a network card is replaced.
need I say more??

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 »

Not to disagree with anyone and I'll admit you'd never know this by the millions of posts on the net about samba but it can work out of the box ( at least in Mint - Ubuntu has issues ).

I also have my router assign static ip address by MAC address but not all of them. And I do not have any entries in the hosts file. I also have 4 different Workgroup names in my network and it doesn't matter ( disproving one of the most enduring of the dozen or so samba myths ).

Each machine broadcasts it's machine name to the network. Samba has a parameter:
name resolve order = lmhosts wins host bcast
You'll notice that broadcast ( bcast ) is last.

The first three are non-functional or not configured so the only one that works by default is last.

Surprisingly, simply changing the order to:
name resolve order = bcast host lmhost wins
helps in many ( but sadly not all ) situations.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

mhwelsh
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mhwelsh »

Thank you both for your responses.
The motive behind the proposal is to make the system more attractive to computer users who do not want or cannot be bothered to fiddle if it does not work "out of the box".

Brian D

Your Network Administrator appears to be doing what I proposed, co-ordinating host names and ip addresses. I have heard of your proposal to fix ip allocation by using MAC addresses but in the two routers that I have tried, Belkin 54g and Edimax, I have been unable to find this facility. At present using the Edimax router it appears to be good enough to allot the same addresses every time that it starts up, so adding distant host names to /etc/hosts is working.

altair4
I have found Samba a challenge. My last system was Xandros and their Samba installation worked out of the box.
I have had the following hiccups with Mint.
The name resolve order is a semi-coloned entry and will require attention.
The ownership of user shares requires changing to enable unfettered access to shared printers. Security wise such unfettered access may be a risk but the ability to gain access to the printer is important.

Confession time!
My name resolve order line is still inactive. (line 55 in smb.conf). I will go away, activate it, remove distant host names from the hosts file and see what happens.

Thank you both for your help.

martin welsh

BrianD
Level 4
Level 4

Post by BrianD »

mhwelsh wrote:The motive behind the proposal is to make the system more attractive to computer users who do not want or cannot be bothered to fiddle if it does not work "out of the box".
Network Administration, even moreso than System Administration, is less "out of the box" than "hands-on", by definition.
mhwelsh wrote: Your Network Administrator appears to be doing what I proposed, co-ordinating host names and ip addresses. I have heard of your proposal to fix ip allocation by using MAC addresses but in the two routers that I have tried, Belkin 54g and Edimax, I have been unable to find this facility. At present using the Edimax router it appears to be good enough to allot the same addresses every time that it starts up, so adding distant host names to /etc/hosts is working.
Okay.. but in the interest of full disclosure:

When I decided to build my own computer, set it up, and maintain it myself (as opposed to letting the Geek Squad, some relative, or some neighborhood 'whiz kid' do so), I became the System Administrator. :wink:

When I built a network to link together two or more of my computers together (as opposed to letting Comcast, the Geek Squad, some relative, or some neighborhood 'whiz kid' do so), I became the Network Administrator. :wink:

...the broad hint here is that, for a lot of us here, we are the User, the System Administrator, and the Network Administrator.

I pointed out, in my earlier post, that the responsibility for properly setting up the /etc/hosts file lies with the Network Administrator... the inference being that, if we decide to undertake this responsibility, we owe ourselves the dedication to understand what we are undertaking and to do the necessary tasks properly. Usually, this means not universally accepting some hardware or software manufacturer's "plug & play", "turn it on and leave it alone" philosophy, but to determine if any of that will help alleviate (not eliminate) any of the drudgery of implementation.

The short story is, if we choose to implement networking in our homes, we are opting to become the Network Administrator. ...and, it is that person's "job" to properly set up the network hardware and software configuration so that things work. Properly. Often, this is not an "out of the box" situation, and if it is left to nothing more than "plug it in and turn it on", then you have abandoned the realm of Network Administration and re-entered the realm of End User, hoping that "the defaults" (software, firmware, and hardware), "just work" ..."out of the box".

I'm not faulting you (or anybody) for wanting this -- just pointing out how impractical (especially from a security standpoint) the request/desire is: This can be witnessed in almost any neighborhood, when you see wide-open WiFi signals, with SSIDs of "DLINK", "NETGEAR", "linksys", etc -- those people just plugged it in and turned it on.

On occasion, I do a bit of freelance Network Administration for people like that. I can scan the available WiFi in a neighborhood, and find out who is running the unsecure router(s), and give them a demonstration. I first show them what can happen with their network open/vulnerable (set up "out of the box", as it were) and the dangers therein... then, I show them the equipment in my truck: it's a handmade WiFi yagi antenna (not unlike the infamous "pringles can" antenna, and probably just as inexpensive to build) and an ancient laptop with a PCMCIA wireless card. I show them how I found their open network, and then located their house. They nod. Then, I'll point that highly directional antenna towards the closest Starbucks, McDonalds, Staples, Public Library, etc and show them how I can get enough signal -- right there in their driveway -- to log on to the network. Again, they nod. Then (if necessary), I point out that I don't have to be "some geeky guy with a handful of odd contraptions, walking or driving slowly around their neighborhood in a conspicuous manner" to gain access to their unsecured network: I can be in the parking lot of that Starbucks, McDonalds, Staples, Public Library, etc... unobserved by anybody in their neighborhood... accessing their network from a half mile away. After that, it's usually just a matter of telling them how much I'd charge them to assist them in securing their network for me to "land the job".
mhwelsh wrote: Thank you both for your help.
No problem -- any time. ...and, sorry for bringing your original question(s) so far afield. ...but, I'll plea that it's all in the interest of Network Administration. :wink:
need I say more??

mhwelsh
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mhwelsh »

Brian,

Point taken but I am aiming for the middle ground where Linux systems no longer require either a passion for learning, extraordinary obstinacy or a tame administrator to get them into a 'useable' state.

With LinuxMint you can Auto Connect your network - having done that I expect it to work.

altair4,

I hope that you are reading this,

I went away and modified /etc/samba/smb.conf to now read;

"[global]
workgroup = GLASSELLODGE
server string = %h server (Samba, LinuxMint)
map to guest = Bad User
obey pam restrictions = Yes
pam password change = Yes
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
unix password sync = Yes
syslog = 0
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
max log size = 1000
name resolve order = lmhosts host wins bcast
printcap name = cups
dns proxy = No
usershare owner only = No
panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d

[printers]
comment = All Printers
path = /var/spool/samba
guest ok = Yes
printable = Yes
use client driver = Yes
browseable = No
browsable = No

[print$]
comment = Printer Drivers
path = /var/lib/samba/printers"

which has two changes that I am certain of compared with the original file.
"usershare owner only = No" - allows printer sharing and - "name resolve order = lmhosts host wins bcast" - now enables the operation of File sharing through Nautilus which I believe uses Samba. However ping will not work to host names unless they are present within /etc/hosts.

Thank you both again,

martin welsh

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 »

Aside from your additions you have also modified the printers section.

This is the default - Mint8 printers section:

[printers]
comment = All Printers
path = /var/spool/samba
create mask = 0700
printable = Yes
browseable = No
browsable = No

You appear to be using Samba to control printing. I'm not saying that won't work it's just not the way I'm used to doing it. I use samba as configured above as a pass-through to CUPS and only for Windows clients. It's CUPS that I configure to authenticate or not authenticate users - and I always allow guests. So I also don't have printcap name = cups in the global section either. It's not there in the default smb.conf.

Second,
"usershare owner only = No" - allows printer sharing and - "name resolve order = lmhosts host wins bcast" - now enables the operation of File sharing through Nautilus which I believe uses Samba
That's 50% backwards I'm afraid.

"usershare owner only = No"
Nautilus-share ( or usershare ) allows a user to use Nautilus to share to the network any directory he owns. The "usershare owner only = No" parameter allows him to share anything in the filesystem. If you have multiple local users that can be problematic. It has nothing to do with printing.

Interestingly, what's missing from the [global] section is usershare allow guests = Yes
This allows you to create guest shares using Nautilus. Without it you won't be able to create public shares ( at least not with Nautilus ). That should have been in the default smb.conf when installed.

"name resolve order = lmhosts host wins bcast"
This is the mechanism that samba uses to convert machine names to ip addresses.

lmhosts, hosts, and wins -and especially wins - are non functional by default. That doesn't stop samba from trying those methods because that's what it is instructed to do by default ( there is a good reason for that BTW ). The only one that's functional is bcast. That's why reordering them to have bcast first sometimes resolves that issue.

I have set up other people's networks and have found that reordering that so bcast is first often resolves the problem. Like I said earlier I've never had to resort to any modification of anything to get by personal network to function as advertised.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

BrianD
Level 4
Level 4

Post by BrianD »

mhwelsh wrote:With LinuxMint you can Auto Connect your network - having done that I expect it to work.
In fairness, the "auto connect to your network" portion of Linux Mint is, I believe, meant to make seamless the process of getting it (the Linux Mint desktop) connected to the internet, in general. ...not in completely automating interstation connectivity in a multi-workstation network environment -- that is, by definition, outside the scope of one single machine's operating system (and, once you get routers, switches, and [hardware] firewalls involved) not even within the same scope. I don't think you'll ever find any desirable application [and i'll throw "Operating System" into that collective noun] that, if it claims to do so, will actually accomplish the level of plug-and-play that you're hoping for, in any usable fashion.

LinuxMint did auto-connect to your network, and having done that, it can now access the internet (through your existing network). In that process, it was never implied that it could or would auto-discover every other workstation on your network, every server on your network, and every piece of hardware (routers, etc) on your network and set everything up on all of those devices so that it (inter-workstation networking) "just worked".
need I say more??

mhwelsh
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mhwelsh »

I think that this reply overlaps both of your replies.

After you have auto connected your network, you use the internet to sweep in updates and then you try file sharing between computers.
It dosen't work. It can't find the distant computer. Assuming that samba config is the problem you try Samba Howto fault analysis and one of the first things it tells you to do is ping the route - hey presto name of distant computer not recognised. I feel that the operating system as supplied should be a little bit better.
Obviously where extensive systems are involved an 'inflatable' administrator is required but for the humble domestic user with a pc and a laptop I do not think that my expectations are excessive. The humble domestic user should not be ignored forever. My original proposal of updating host files is the only way I know of to 'fix' the problem.

Going back to Samba my original efforts were with the issued file but they were probably confused by problems with host names. I had in my possession the Xandros samba config file that did work out of the box with their file manager, but even here sometimes it had trouble identifying the host but eventually it would find it. Naturally I compared the two.
During the time that I have spent trying to get it functional I do recall that most of the problems were caused by access to the servers.
Scanning the smb.conf file there appears to be a choice of bsd or cups printers in the Printer section so I opened up cups as I was aware that cups was installed.
"name resolve order = lmhosts host wins bcast" was a desparate measure to get the remote printer to work. All previous efforts. including the printer entry recommended in the Samba Howto, had failed miserably with access problems. The information was gleaned from a forum post from somebody else that was having problems and I did realise that it is a bit insecure.

I will go away and try a bit harder with Samba. As you will certainly have gathered I have been using Linux systems for some time and they are getting more user friendly but they are still not userproof. During my career I was involved in inventing things from time to time and very early in the inventing process a piece of paper is generated setting out your ambitions and details of how you intend to achive the ambitions. Unfortunately this piece of paper seems to be thrown away when the inventing is finished and a succinct synopsis of what and how is lost for ever. I think that I have some idea of what my difficulties are but not a lot of knowledge of how they have come about.

Thank you both most sincerely for your patience.
I will go away and soak up "http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=22093"

martin welsh

BrianD
Level 4
Level 4

Post by BrianD »

mhwelsh wrote:After you have auto connected your network, you use the internet to sweep in updates and then you try file sharing between computers.
...and, you realize, that at this point, you have surpassed the typical installation of the "humble home user" and entered into the the domain (pardon the pun) of the Network Administrator. See my earlier posts. :wink:
mhwelsh wrote:It dosen't work. It can't find the distant computer.
...again, because Network Administration requires, at least, the minimal participation of a Network Administrator. By name, by trade, or by provincial decree, this is exactly what those folks do; you need to find one or be willing to (at least, temporarily) become one.
mhwelsh wrote:I feel that the operating system as supplied should be a little bit better.
Instead of writing out all the hows, why-fors and what-nots, I'll summarize with the phrase "Linux is not Windows". There are millions of bytes dedicated to expounding on that simple statement, available all over the internet. I'm sure, given your experience, you've read at least one of them at one time or another.
mhwelsh wrote:Obviously where extensive systems are involved an 'inflatable' administrator is required but for the humble domestic user with a pc and a laptop I do not think that my expectations are excessive.
This, I think, is where we have a difference of opinion -- in this situation, you are no longer a "humble domestic user", but have instead started treading into the territory of "budding network administrator" (or further...). Your expectations are, therefore, excessive in this instance.
mhwelsh wrote:The humble domestic user should not be ignored forever. My original proposal of updating host files is the only way I know of to 'fix' the problem.
...and, I disagree with your original proposal, as it presents a flagrant security violation ( a "hole", as it were), and is detrimental to every computer on the affected network. Further, I doubt that anyone outside of Redmond, WA would think this is a "good idea". :wink:
need I say more??

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 »

I would like to suggest a couple of things if you have to install Mint to another PC in your network.

First, try to keep Samba and CUPS separate. Samba is an unnecessary overhead to printing in my opinion. You might want to look at the following Howto: Network Printing: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=28397
If nothing else it might provide a source of amusement.

Second, before you start populating your host file you might want to run the following commands just to see if any of them produce error messages.

smbtree
findsmb
nmap -sT 192.168.0.100/22
Change 192.168.0.100 to the ip address of the machine you're using.

You may not have nmap installed but when you issue the nmap command it will ask you if you want to install it - you do. Once it's installed run the nmap command again.

Run these commands before you browse to any shares in Nautilus. These commands show you every machine in your network and either what shares are available on each machine by machine name or what ports are open on each machine by ip address. There might be some quirk in your network that can easily be fixed.

drhu_itsme
Level 1
Level 1

Post by drhu_itsme »

For each machine that connects to the Internet via a dhcp server/router/firewall, an IP address is given; that is the dhcp method

When it comes to file sharing, that is not really the province of a system's IP addressing mechanism, hence it is not managed or covered automatically.
-windows (cifs, netbios) and samba fixup to match what windows wants to see complicates it

Hostnames & IP addressing..
http://www.ipcop.org/1.4.0/en/install/h ... ation.html
--helps to know why/what and how you need hostnames..

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 »

mhwelsh,

I don't know if you still have Xandros installed any more but you might want to post the default smb.conf settings. Xandros was the last linux distro to use share level security which is not likely to be replicated because it has been deprecated. But there might be something in how they set the defaults which might prove useful.

This command will generate all the default settings and it's quite large ( > 350 lines ) so it's best to send it to a file and attach it to your post:

testparm -v > /home/your_user_name/Desktop/defaultsmb.txt

EDIT
: Note that this is different than the default smb.conf file itself. Most of the smb defaults are hidden and the "-v" will list them all.

mhwelsh
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mhwelsh »

Brian,
I do not think that connecting a pc and a lap top in a simple network should require any special skills or understanding that the 'Complete Operating System' does not supply. More extensive networks with multiple users are a different kettle of fish.

I do not think that the security risks that you suggest do really exist. Assuming that the router is the dhcp host, threats from beyond the router may be controlled by a firewall filter. Threats from within are that if your firewall has not worked and you have been violated the only freebee on offer is the host names of all the inhabitants. Generation of remote computer host addresses is done by the router as root or if you feel that that scenario is not to be trusted it is done by each computer in turn telling each of the other computers what its name is and what its host name is after it has been given an ip address.

So we must beg to differ I think.

drhu_itsme

Hi.
I think that it may be that file sharing could work by using the bcast call within a properly set up smb.conf. It certainly does not work without it and neither does 'ping'. I intend to try harder with smb.conf. Ping will still not work unless somebody spreads the word about the host's name/ip.
Thanks for your input.

altair4

I will load up Xandros and send you a copy of the smb.conf. I have tried it on a Mint computer and between mint computers and it would not work - that could be me!

I also intend to revert to the original smb.conf and your file sharing articles and will record how I get on.
A copy of my existing testparm -v will be sent and details of any nmap -sT errors with and without populated hosts files.

kindest regards

martin welsh

BrianD
Level 4
Level 4

Post by BrianD »

mhwelsh wrote:I do not think that the security risks that you suggest do really exist.
If I understand it correctly, your original proposed solution would have an external piece of hardware (the router) having complete control (read-write) over a file currently only writeable on the system as root, cascaded to all computers on the network managed by the router. If you cannot see or understand the inherent risks in such a scheme, then you do not understand network or computer security the same way that I do; if you did, you would not think such a plan to be desirable.
mhwelsh wrote:So we must beg to differ I think.
clearly.
need I say more??

mhwelsh
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mhwelsh »

altair4
I thought that I had sent this yesterday.
I have installed Xandros 4.1 with Xandros updates and you can see the results from the uploaded attachment.
Attachments
sambaperformance.odt
(28.24 KiB) Downloaded 86 times

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 »

What's missing from your output are all the default settings that smb.conf has that are not listed. For that only testparm -v can provide.

What is interesting in the data you did provide is this line:
include=/etc/xandrosncs/run/samba_wins
The include statement in smb.conf is used to introduce a configuration file within another configuration file. It can be two lines or hundreds. Is there any way you can post or attach the contents of /etc/xandrosncs/run/samba_wins

Return to “Suggestions & New Ideas”