Host Names

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
  • Only post ideas here that are specifically about the Linux Mint distribution or its websites.
  • So that developers and users from any distribution can discuss ideas in one place, post ideas about improving software to the collaboration website for that software instead.
mhwelsh
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Host Names

Post by mhwelsh »

The files will come.
My anticipated course of action with Mint is to restore the original smb.conf files and start again largely using your earlier post on file sharing and printer usage.
Will current copies of testparm -v be relevant?

File sharing; If you use Nautilus it uses Samba but stores its own shares. Will it share with a distant computer that has a different file manager?

regards,

martin

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 »

Well you seemed to be happy with the way Xandros did samba. I'm just trying to figure out what is it that Xandros did that Mint/Ubuntu/Debian(?) is not. The testparm -v on the Xandros install will tell me if they altered the base samba configuration which is mostly hidden. The /etc/xandrosncs/run/samba_wins seems the most interesting item.

As far as Nautilus-shares is concerned , it doesn't matter what browser or utility the client uses to find and access those shares. Although the share definitions in Nautilus-share are stored in /var/lib/samba/usershares it is still accessed and globally controlled by samba itself on the server.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

mhwelsh
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mhwelsh »

Here are the details you requested.

martin
Attachments
testparmvxandros4_2.odt
(27.05 KiB) Downloaded 111 times

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 »

I do appreciate you taking the time to provide this information. As you can imagine it will take a while to go through all this.

Just taking a quick look at the differences between a xandros default samba settings and Mint:

There's a lot in common, there are some things that are enabled in Xandros that are disabled in most distros these days, but the biggest difference is the security level. In xandros it's set to "SHARE" ( only need a password ). Everyone else uses "USER". That's not likely to be enabled because it's deprecated.

None of this has anything to do with browsing the shares on the lan however. There's a lot of information here, some I'm familiar with, some I vaguely remember, and some I've never seen before. I don't know if the answer is in the samba settings themselves or if Xandros is doing something somewhere else but I will investigate.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

mhwelsh
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mhwelsh »

When setting up Windows Sharing in Xandros you have the choice of 'User' or 'Share'.

I think that the two testparms I sent were first, testparm, the choice was changed and second, testparm -v, the choice was left unchanged.
I hope that helps more than it confuses.

Do you have any recommended edits for the out of the box smb.conf?
Perhaps name resolve order changed to active?

martin

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 »

Do you have any recommended edits for the out of the box smb.conf?
None. It should work out of the box. If there are problems with the default I usually go through an initial check-list:

(1) Check to see if samba is running:

Open Terminal
Type sudo service samba status

If it's not running start it with : sudo service samba restart

(2) If I have configured the firewall in any way in Mint I disable it. If I haven't touched it I leave it alone

(3) Disable the Windows firewall

(4) Check the netbios name ( has to be <= 15 characters )

(5) Put bcast first in smb.conf's name resolve order

If any or all of the above doesn't resolve the issue I usually go trolling for errors:

In a linux terminal:

Type smbtree
Type findsmb
Type nmap -sT 192.168.0.100/22
Change 192.168.0.100 to the ip address of the linux box.

You may not have nmap installed but when you issue the nmap command it will ask you if you want to install it - you do. Once it's installed run the nmap command again.

In a Windows Command Prompt:

Type net view
Type net view \\Server_Name
Perhaps name resolve order changed to active?
The name resolve order is active. Samba could not function without it. Don't confuse the comment mark ( ";" ) in your smb.conf with what the actual default is. smb.conf is your copy to edit as you wish. In a freshly installed Mint, testparm -v will show you all the settings that are setup by default - some of them are included in smb.conf as commented out so you can easily change them - most of them are not.

mhwelsh
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mhwelsh »

I have successfully enabled printing locally and to a distant printer using CUPS.
CUPS failed to find a distant printer but worked well enough when the printer address was spelt out using the ip number.
I tried several times to use the distant machine name but it does not want to know. I have entered the machine names into /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf together with the MAC address but this did not affect name recognition for the printers. Hopefully it will ensure that the ip addresses will now be constant and they may be entered safely into /etc/hosts.
As a matter of interest CUPS printing was also installed in a Sidux operating system and a Pardus operating system, again it demanded ip numbers. (I will eventually restore the distant host names in /etc/hosts and try again.)

Following the Applications - Printer instructions does work but I would not describe it as straight forward. More work is needed on remote printer finding and identifying.

File Sharing using the original Samba config file worked OK either using either the built in Nautilus file sharing or the Share-Admin facility in the terminal. As a matter of interest it does not work in Sidux or Pardus. They are both kde4 based systems and they won't allow access to the local machine.

Thank you for your patient help it is immensely appreciated,

martin welsh

mhwelsh
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mhwelsh »

I have now restored details of the ip/host names in both computers and the connection to the distant printer is now acheived using ipp://windows:631/printers/printer1. Obviously I am not the only one expecting ip/host name recognition to be shared around the network.

One small point about the use of CUPS it does demand a 'root' user and I suspect that the Administration - Printing add printer also expects a 'root' user.

Thanks again,

martin

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 »

One small point about the use of CUPS it does demand a 'root' user and I suspect that the Administration - Printing add printer also expects a 'root' user.
I don't know what that means. CUPS doesn't require one to become root to add a printer. Or are you talking about a user needing to be a member of the lpadmin group.

mhwelsh
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mhwelsh »

If you go to localhost:631 to add access to a remote printer you are asked for a username and password. If you enter your username and password further changes are unauthorised. If you use Admininistration - Printing to install access to a distant printer it refuses to accept the ipp address. Certainly if you enter localhost:631 as root you may proceed normally to install a distant printer.
This is not peculiar to MintLinux.

When installing a local printer the installed printer is normally found.

martin

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 »

Didn't realize you were accessing the CUPS server on you own local machine. You do like doing things the hard way. Using Administration > Printer > New requires no such authentication but that user does have to be a member of the lpadmin group. It certainly will accept an ipp address - I use it all the time.

mhwelsh
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Host Names - Completed

Post by mhwelsh »

A satisfactory conclusion has been acheived

DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Post by DrHu »

If you do a manual (network, LAN) IP setup, you can use a hosts file to manage the IP-->Hostnames
--this was the original internet, before dhcp serverices

If you do an automatic setup via a router or dhcp server, then you don't need hosts file
--it's still there for historical reasons, and Windows can use it for netbios names (lmhosts)..

Since most people only peripherally manage their own LAN, and will usually be connected to the Internet via a router (dhcp server from their ISP), then the hosts file is a mute point, as you don't need it
--and few people, even if they can or just want a bit more control over connected computers in their LAN, will still tend to prefer a dhcp solution, simply because it is automatic, and you can get some control by splitting the IP ranges being handed out for specific devices/groups..

As to Samba, there is the problem of following Microsoft edits (changes for no apparent reason to their protocols), which delays any easy mix and match approach

Maybe Microsoft is getting a bit better by not presuming everyone connected to the Internet or in a network of any type necessarily connects via a Microsoft client: the default install of their TCP/IP set, even if you actually only need TCP/IP to make a network connection, and that the Microsoft client is a completely unnecessary installation
  • I always remove that Microsoft client, as well as file and printer sharing..
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/172218

http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/wind ... 4msnet.htm
  • The Client for Microsoft Networks is an essential networking software component for the Microsoft Windows family of operating systems. A Windows computer must run the Client for Microsoft Networks to remotely access files, printers and other shared network resources.
Not true, since IP addressing always works, it is the network's device address.

And for Samba, as well IP addressing will work, when names don't

mhwelsh
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mhwelsh »

My system, an Edimax router/adslmodem/wireless lan - 2 AMD Athlon computers - HP1100 printer, will not install a remote CUPS printer using host names unless the details of the host names are in the hosts file. You can install using ip numbers.

This is not what you say in your third paragraph.

One computer has Mint 8 and the other Mint 9.

You are quoting how things should work I am quoting what I found with the help of Altair4.
In my first post I suggested that perhaps the actualities merited some changes.

martin welsh

Return to “Suggestions & New Ideas”