Replacing GIMP

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
  • Only post ideas here that are specifically about the Linux Mint distribution or its websites.
  • So that developers and users from any distribution can discuss ideas in one place, post ideas about improving software to the collaboration website for that software instead.
onlytheFBI
Level 1
Level 1

Replacing GIMP

Post by onlytheFBI » Thu May 06, 2010 9:58 pm

Hey Guys,I just had a great idea I think. I think that GIMP schould be replaced by a simpler program, sort of like MS paint. Because most users (like me anyway...) Want to do simple things like croping and adding colors. And it's quite confusing to open up what seems to be a simple application to find that it's like Photoshop. Beshides I think that anyone that has a need for GIMP would probally know about it anyway and could install it themselves. Of course I'm not thinking of you more advanced users, that like having this installed by default but I think since this is sopused to be for user frendliness.

Biker
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Replacing GIMP

Post by Biker » Thu May 06, 2010 10:38 pm

Ummmm. No.
Linux User #384279

FedoraRefugee
Level 6
Level 6

Replacing GIMP

Post by FedoraRefugee » Thu May 06, 2010 10:40 pm

ummm hel...heck no!!! :D

Jay514
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jay514 » Thu May 06, 2010 11:08 pm

@ the FBI guy,
Welcome to Linux Mint, Linux Mint Forums, Linux in general & the GIMP.
Just as a suggestion = Read the help section & how to files, Learn how to use the GIMP, it will do a lot more than the previous program that you mentioned. It even works on Win :)
HERE = http://www.gimp.org/

Have a Good Day
" Do Not Do Wrong Twice,That Which You Could Have Done Right The First Time"

Main = HP Pavilion DV4-1275mx - OS=Mint_CE x64KDE/LXDE,& x64Kubuntu

onlytheFBI
Level 1
Level 1

Post by onlytheFBI » Thu May 06, 2010 11:09 pm

Thank :p

opticyclic
Level 3
Level 3

Post by opticyclic » Fri May 07, 2010 11:35 pm

Those are some very negative comments without much explanation.

Maybe MSPaint is a bit too simple as a replacement but onlytheFBI has a point about how daunting the GIMP is for new users, especially with its floating interface.
Something like Paint.NET is a good compromise as its not too simple, but also not too complicated.
Unfortunately it is Windows only though and doesn't work with wine, and I have yet to find an application that fills that gap on Linux properly.

Artweaver (http://www.artweaver.de/) works quite well running under Wine though if you don't mind the fact that it is a Windows application and looks a bit out of place in a Linux environment.
Krita is an alternative option to the GIMP, but it requires the KDE libs and it can also look quite complicated.
mtPaint is probably quite similar to MSPaint in that it is very simple.

However, what will probably happen is that you will eventually get used to the GIMP to do your simple tasks, purely because you don't really have much other choice!

den1m
Level 1
Level 1

Post by den1m » Sat May 08, 2010 1:47 am

Heh paint is useless, i never use it and dont even understand why windows come with it. You can actually USE gimp for a variety of things and its quite easy too if you take 5 min to look trough the menu. If its the paintbucket you look for you can find it right there on the screen at once you have opened gimp aswell as colors and different brushes. You must be blind if you cant find it.

Besides, you can do cropping and a few other basic things in gthumb if you get confused by all the options in gimp, which is my default image browser.

Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo » Sat May 08, 2010 6:06 am

And it's quite confusing to open up what seems to be a simple application to find that it's like Photoshop.
It only looks complex partly because of the ridiculous amount of tools and floating palettes when you use it the first time. But rather than paying full attention to the palettes, focus on the menus. Speaking from personal experience, most (if not all) of the fixes I do with pictures handed to me by my clients only involves either color correction or brightness/contrast changes, or both. None of the more advanced stuff (layering and the like). And those basic image editing ops are conveniently found under one menu item (Colors menu). So, even though the Gimp looks a tad "intimidating" for some, it can be tamed if users would just pay attention, read and basically understand what a particular tool does. Of course common sense also applies.
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].

den1m
Level 1
Level 1

Post by den1m » Sat May 08, 2010 6:22 am

Pilosopong Tasyo wrote:
And it's quite confusing to open up what seems to be a simple application to find that it's like Photoshop.
It only looks complex partly because of the ridiculous amount of tools and floating palettes when you use it the first time. But rather than paying full attention to the palettes, focus on the menus. Speaking from personal experience, most (if not all) of the fixes I do with pictures handed to me by my clients only involves either color correction or brightness/contrast changes, or both. None of the more advanced stuff (layering and the like). And those basic image editing ops are conveniently found under one menu item (Colors menu). So, even though the Gimp looks a tad "intimidating" for some, it can be tamed if users would just pay attention, read and basically understand what a particular tool does. Of course common sense also applies.
Then use gthumb.

And surely, few of us need openoffice too, right? Most people can do well with notepad. And how about games. Do we really play them? And sound recorder. Whats the point? Lots of the codecs in mint is rubbish aswell. We dont need support for divx, most people never watch pirated divx movies. In fact, lets just remove all of it. That would surely draw lots of new users to linux, those noobs or people that are on the lookout for a desktop os as a windows replacement easily given to them, that are the aim of a distro like linux mint.

As said again, i have a suggestion: Go for arch linux or puppy linux, mint is not the distro of choise for people that dont want a complete desktop os with lots of feutures preinstalled. I dont see a problem with mint giving me gimp preinstalled and a powerfull tool to create and edit graphics. Its not a minus it ships with mint, its a plus.

And btw: ubuntu have dropped gimp to be able to fit theyre os on a CD, install that instead.

Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo » Sat May 08, 2010 7:30 am

Then use gthumb. And surely, ...
My post earlier was directed to the OP, and no one else.

I don't think I ever tried gthumb before, but probably because the Gimp satisfies my image editing needs. Hence no reason to use a more simple image editor (and photo organizer). Personally, I prefer having Gimp, OpenOffice and the codecs installed by default (and Java too!). Less hassle in downloading them off the repositories. Maybe throw in Audacity and OpenShot as well :lol: Although a minimalist setup seems to be ideal for those who want full control on what applications they want installed on their systems, it's not my cup of tea.

And honestly, I do not know to whom you were directing your post earlier, if it was directed to me or to the OP or just a general statement. But from the way I read it, it was directed to me, which I find somehow a non sequitur, since I am for retaining the Gimp as default install.

Or did I simply misinterpreted it?

Oh, and BTW, I DO know about Canonical's decision about the Gimp in Lucid Lynx. :wink:
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].

FedoraRefugee
Level 6
Level 6

Post by FedoraRefugee » Sat May 08, 2010 7:37 am

opticyclic wrote:Those are some very negative comments without much explanation...
Who needs explanation? The dude suggests taking Gimp out of Mint. No! Simple! :D

I am in a curt mood this morning (headed to Disney World for 2 days :twisted: :roll: ) and I agree with Den1m. Too many people do use and love Gimp, it is only complicated to a preschooler, and it is staying in Mint. Case closed.

Do yourself a favor; open Gimp and have a look around. It really is not so complicated, if you can figure out MS Paint (which I DO happen to use all the time for simple graphics) then you can figure out the basic functions of Gimp. The only trick is drawing a line, with the pencil tool use click, hold shift, pull the line, then click again to release. Gimp is versatile, it is easy enough that a child can play on it yet it is powerful enough that it can do most photo editing. People are just scared. They are scared of everything; change, Linux, the terminal, config files, things they do not understand...Quit being a scardy cat, just do it...Sheesh...
Last edited by FedoraRefugee on Sat May 08, 2010 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

pack3tg0st
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pack3tg0st » Sat May 08, 2010 8:00 am

Gimp is essential.

For all others there is Tuxpaint lol.

den1m
Level 1
Level 1

Post by den1m » Mon May 10, 2010 3:58 pm

Pilosopong Tasyo wrote:
Then use gthumb. And surely, ...
My post earlier was directed to the OP, and no one else.

I don't think I ever tried gthumb before, but probably because the Gimp satisfies my image editing needs. Hence no reason to use a more simple image editor (and photo organizer). Personally, I prefer having Gimp, OpenOffice and the codecs installed by default (and Java too!). Less hassle in downloading them off the repositories. Maybe throw in Audacity and OpenShot as well :lol: Although a minimalist setup seems to be ideal for those who want full control on what applications they want installed on their systems, it's not my cup of tea.

And honestly, I do not know to whom you were directing your post earlier, if it was directed to me or to the OP or just a general statement. But from the way I read it, it was directed to me, which I find somehow a non sequitur, since I am for retaining the Gimp as default install.

Or did I simply misinterpreted it?

Oh, and BTW, I DO know about Canonical's decision about the Gimp in Lucid Lynx. :wink:
It was to you and everone that wants to throw out all the great software Mint ships with, but i think i misunderstood you, so sorry ;)

mintnoob
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mintnoob » Mon May 10, 2010 7:50 pm

I essentially agree with the OP, but not by replacing GIMP, but by adding a small simple MSPaint-like graphics app.

KolourPaint as my favorite simple graphics app.
Chakra Linux

vincent
Level 8
Level 8

Post by vincent » Mon May 10, 2010 8:03 pm

If you don't like GIMP, don't worry, nobody's forcing you to use it. The great thing about Linux is the wide variety of choices you have. Just take a look at the repositories and try the following Paint programs out to see if you like them better: GPaint, mtPaint, XPaint, rgbPaint, TuxPaint, Krita, KolourPaint, etc. There's also a mono port of Paint.NET if you're interested.
Debian Testing x64/LM9 Main x64/Windows 7 x64 - LG R580 laptop w/ Intel Core 2 Duo T6500 2.1 GHz, 4 GB DDR2 RAM, Nvidia Geforce G 105M, Ralink rt2860 802.11n, 300 GB WD HD 5400 rpm

thx1138
Level 4
Level 4

Post by thx1138 » Mon May 10, 2010 9:08 pm

Replacing Gimp by gthumb sounds reasonable.
Most Windows users have IrfanView installed, not Photoshop.

Many dedicated Gimp users posted here (yes, i'm a hardcore Gimp user as well, but....), but Mint has to be a OOTB experience. Why do many users work with Picasa? Because it's simple and to the point for most users. Why are so lightweight and userfriendly like gthumb, geeqi or fotoxx not that often mentioned as the standard jpeg viewers that do nothing else than viewing or a crappy job compared to IrfanView?
Last edited by thx1138 on Mon May 10, 2010 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mintnoob
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mintnoob » Mon May 10, 2010 9:10 pm

vincent wrote:If you don't like GIMP, don't worry, nobody's forcing you to use it. The great thing about Linux is the wide variety of choices you have. Just take a look at the repositories and try the following Paint programs out to see if you like them better: GPaint, mtPaint, XPaint, rgbPaint, TuxPaint, Krita, KolourPaint, etc. There's also a mono port of Paint.NET if you're interested.
I don't think the OP dislikes GIMP so much as it's too complicated/cumbersome for simple graphics editing that could easily be done on a simple paint program.

Linux distros does seem to be the opposite on graphic programs than Windows. In Windows, it comes with a simple paint program and you have to get a deluxe paint program (like photoshop). I Linux, it comes with a deluxe paint program and you have to get a simpler one.
Chakra Linux

den1m
Level 1
Level 1

Post by den1m » Tue May 11, 2010 12:38 am

mintnoob wrote:
vincent wrote:If you don't like GIMP, don't worry, nobody's forcing you to use it. The great thing about Linux is the wide variety of choices you have. Just take a look at the repositories and try the following Paint programs out to see if you like them better: GPaint, mtPaint, XPaint, rgbPaint, TuxPaint, Krita, KolourPaint, etc. There's also a mono port of Paint.NET if you're interested.
I don't think the OP dislikes GIMP so much as it's too complicated/cumbersome for simple graphics editing that could easily be done on a simple paint program.

Linux distros does seem to be the opposite on graphic programs than Windows. In Windows, it comes with a simple paint program and you have to get a deluxe paint program (like photoshop). I Linux, it comes with a deluxe paint program and you have to get a simpler one.
Well, first off, maybe because its adobe that makes photoshop and charge quite a big sum of money for it (more than microsoft charge for windows). It would be seemed as rather "unchristian" to include a non-microsoft open source type of software like gimp with windows, as with apple. Same goes for openoffice. Microsoft would also rather have you to pay for MS office. And these 2 programmes, photoshop and MS office, are probably the most widely pirated programs in the history of personal computers.

Paint is useless. Rubbish. Im very glad linux goes the full way and include gimp. Anyone can figure out how to draw a smily-face there rather quickly if thats all they need. I dont understand what the problem is.

mintnoob
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mintnoob » Fri May 14, 2010 2:59 am

den1m wrote:Well, first off, maybe because its adobe that makes photoshop and charge quite a big sum of money for it (more than microsoft charge for windows). It would be seemed as rather "unchristian" to include a non-microsoft open source type of software like gimp with windows, as with apple. Same goes for openoffice.
I hear you, but seems silly distros would also include a simple paint program along with gimp.
Paint is useless. Rubbish.
No way. I used Paint more than anything when I was doing heavy graphic stuff. I wasn't doing complex "photoshopping" stuff, but for the graphic stuff I was doing, a simple paint app was mostly what I needed.
Chakra Linux

madjr
Level 2
Level 2

Post by madjr » Sat May 15, 2010 2:03 pm

i like pinta is lightweight

0.3 has been released !!

http://pinta-project.com/

http://anotherubuntu.blogspot.com/2010/ ... imple.html

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/03/pint ... s-new.html

basically we can save CD space and also offer an easy to use paint program