Replacing GIMP

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
  • Only post ideas here that are specifically about the Linux Mint distribution or its websites.
  • So that developers and users from any distribution can discuss ideas in one place, post ideas about improving software to the collaboration website for that software instead.
monkeyboy
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Replacing GIMP

Post by monkeyboy » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:16 pm

onlytheFBI wrote:Hey Guys,I just had a great idea I think. I think that GIMP schould be replaced by a simpler program, sort of like MS paint. Because most users (like me anyway...) Want to do simple things like croping and adding colors. And it's quite confusing to open up what seems to be a simple application to find that it's like Photoshop. Beshides I think that anyone that has a need for GIMP would probally know about it anyway and could install it themselves. Of course I'm not thinking of you more advanced users, that like having this installed by default but I think since this is sopused to be for user frendliness.
The problem is one mans confusing program is another mans workhorse application. You see this type of discussion happening with browser and media players as well and there is seldom agreement.
If you don't like it, make something better
If you can't make something better, adapt
If you can't do either ball your panties up and cry.

Complaining is like masticating most anyone can do it.
However doing it in public is really hardcore.

axel668
Level 3
Level 3

Post by axel668 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:45 am

vincent wrote:... There's also a mono port of Paint.NET if you're interested.
Been there, tried that, DON'T go there - if you really don't find a fitting Linux app, use Irfan with WINE instead. Pinta looks promising, going to give it a try.
“A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila” (Mitch Ratcliffe)

Dave68
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Dave68 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:10 pm

I've used Paint.NET for quite some time, whereas I've very seldom had time to sit down and learn GIMP. If Pinta is anywhere close to what Paint.NET is, I'll dump GIMP, and use Pinta as my preferred. With that and Inkscape, it will be very hard to find something I can't do.

Bring on Pinta! I'd like to give it a go.

Thanks,
Dave
Linux User: 528038
Primary PC: Version: LMDE (201101), 32 Bit.
Alternate 1: Version: Peppermint One OS, 32 Bit.
Laptop: Version: Julia Main (10), AMD 64

axel668
Level 3
Level 3

Post by axel668 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:27 pm

Tried Pinta, great App, reminds me of PaintShopPro, my all time favourite in the good old shareware days. This will be my standard photo editor until further notice 8)
“A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila” (Mitch Ratcliffe)

Dave68
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Dave68 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:35 pm

axel668 wrote:Tried Pinta, great App, reminds me of PaintShopPro, my all time favourite in the good old shareware days. This will be my standard photo editor until further notice 8)
I haven't checked, but is it already in the Mint Repos? If not, where can I get it?

Thanks,
Dave
Linux User: 528038
Primary PC: Version: LMDE (201101), 32 Bit.
Alternate 1: Version: Peppermint One OS, 32 Bit.
Laptop: Version: Julia Main (10), AMD 64

vincent
Level 8
Level 8

Post by vincent » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:39 pm

It's not in the default repositories. Open up a terminal and execute the following commands to install it:

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:moonlight-team/pinta
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install pinta
Debian Testing x64/LM9 Main x64/Windows 7 x64 - LG R580 laptop w/ Intel Core 2 Duo T6500 2.1 GHz, 4 GB DDR2 RAM, Nvidia Geforce G 105M, Ralink rt2860 802.11n, 300 GB WD HD 5400 rpm

Joylove
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Joylove » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:09 am

was really wishing Irfanview gets ported to Linux. It was my default imageviewer in Windows XP and on the spot can handle simple image editing & conversions. Had trouble running Irfanview running on Wine and often end up crashing when encountering unicode

tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:54 pm

I've been using Pinta for a while now. Much simpler than GIMP. Don't really need the extra features of GIMP anyway. :D
Mint Cinnamon 19.3 Beta

Elisa
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Elisa » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:25 pm

...Hey Guys,I just had a great idea I think. I think that GIMP should be replaced by a simpler program...
Well, I was using for a long period the best graphic sw - adobe photoshop, so my opinion to above mentioned quotation - it's really stupid idea, not great at all :)
And Gimp is kinda cool, remembering me just mentioned Photoshop - so Gimp is not about "simplicity" - if you want a simpler program, ok, install any simple program but do not say - gimp to be replaced by... (any lighter sh*t :) ) due Gimp is not about light or stupid your-camera-snaps editor or something :?

Gimp is about complex cool editor with many ways of editing and creating cool things, collages etc. etc. And it's worth of time to study how to use it 8)
Linux/Unix is about freedom, Windows about slavery.

md5 / sha1 check [how-to for NEWBIES] :idea:

Score: 43 I have some hippie in me. Cool, man 8)
Take the elitemrp.net "Are you a Hippie?" Test

den1m
Level 1
Level 1

Post by den1m » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:39 am

Elisa wrote:
...Hey Guys,I just had a great idea I think. I think that GIMP should be replaced by a simpler program...
Well, I was using for a long period the best graphic sw - adobe photoshop, so my opinion to above mentioned quotation - it's really stupid idea, not great at all :)
And Gimp is kinda cool, remembering me just mentioned Photoshop - so Gimp is not about "simplicity" - if you want a simpler program, ok, install any simple program but do not say - gimp to be replaced by... (any lighter sh*t :) ) due Gimp is not about light or stupid your-camera-snaps editor or something :?

Gimp is about complex cool editor with many ways of editing and creating cool things, collages etc. etc. And it's worth of time to study how to use it 8)
Yeah.. why drive a mercedes when you can drive a lada?

Thats what i see here.

No gimp is a great app, if you dont know how to use it for doing the basic things you want to do you dont know how to edit photos anyway so you wont have a use for a graphics editor at all. Theres some really basic stuff in openoffice anyway that will do more or less the same as pinta.

paro1991
Level 1
Level 1

Post by paro1991 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:51 pm

i think we need more apps like gimp that are fairly complex so that users could have alternatives. sort of like corel-photoshop but with gimp for linux. anyways that pinta app seems way too simple for my tastes. i like to have all the bells and whistles on my apps. but anyways mint comes with eye of gnome for the simple stuff. have fun using that for anyone who will.

colyn
Level 6
Level 6

Post by colyn » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:00 pm

onlytheFBI wrote:Hey Guys,I just had a great idea I think. I think that GIMP schould be replaced by a simpler program, sort of like MS paint.
Not NOOOOOOO but @#*&@$%^ NOOOOOOOOOOOO.........................

sahilshinesalways
Level 4
Level 4

Post by sahilshinesalways » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:37 pm

i have once replayed to dis forum and am saying again guys gimp is gonna to have a totaly new look,more photoshop-ish,its interface is having a huge improvement
those who hate floating toolbars side bars hanging left and right of screen can have finaly relieve as they will be unified in the main frame;aka single window mode.and seriously thre is no replacement for gimp

gimp will be replaced iff microsoft windows becomes open source :mrgreen:
Facebook set to deactivate 83 million fake accounts --->http://technoguru.org/?p=609
registered Linux user #510231 | Registered linux machine #421068

monkeyboy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by monkeyboy » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:54 pm

There is nothing wrong with GIMP its not that hard to learn and it meets most of the needs of an average user. I don't buy into the thinking that every time a user complains that something is too hard to use the default fix is to add something even simpler and often less useful. Face it there are some folks who wont get some operations regardless of how simple things are.
If you don't like it, make something better
If you can't make something better, adapt
If you can't do either ball your panties up and cry.

Complaining is like masticating most anyone can do it.
However doing it in public is really hardcore.

tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:34 pm

tdockery97 wrote:I've been using Pinta for a while now. Much simpler than GIMP. Don't really need the extra features of GIMP anyway. :D
I take back that posting. I have been working some with GIMP and it isn't that hard to use and for the kind of things I do, it can do everything.
Mint Cinnamon 19.3 Beta

Elisa
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Elisa » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:00 pm

I've found a webpage which seems to be a cool educational start, just look.
But it's not in English :D , so maybe someone would like to do the same in English :wink: :idea:
http://jaroslavuher.cz/gimp264/index.htm
Linux/Unix is about freedom, Windows about slavery.

md5 / sha1 check [how-to for NEWBIES] :idea:

Score: 43 I have some hippie in me. Cool, man 8)
Take the elitemrp.net "Are you a Hippie?" Test

sahilshinesalways
Level 4
Level 4

Post by sahilshinesalways » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:44 pm

nice to see this forum dead!
conclution:

lol gimp is goin to stay 4 atleast another 5-6 yrs in every major distro
Facebook set to deactivate 83 million fake accounts --->http://technoguru.org/?p=609
registered Linux user #510231 | Registered linux machine #421068

DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Post by DrHu » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:53 pm

onlytheFBI wrote:Hey Guys,I just had a great idea I think. I think that GIMP schould be replaced by a simpler program, sort of like MS paint. Because most users (like me anyway...) Want to do simple things like croping and adding colors. And it's quite confusing to open up what seems to be a simple application to find that it's like Photoshop.
..I just had a great idea I think. I think that GIMP schould be replaced by a simpler program, sort of like MS paint
Why?, replacing a more complete program with a simplified program is no solution to graphics editing for those users who can learn the smaller processing before getting involved in the more complicated image manipulations..
  • That is the program can support you as you progress, if you don't need that there are plenty of other applications you can choose instead..
http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/gimptu ... e_GIMP.htm
  • Before giving up on gimp and looking for a kid's image manipulation application, a small amount of effort to learn the minimum needed to do the processes you want to explore would help

So, for me the question would be how have you tried to use Gimp, and exactly what do you find awkward or difficult in that process..
    • As for simpler diagramming or graphics applications, you could choose inkscape, xara (although that development seems to have stalled) or a simple diagrammer like dia (drop and paste..)
http://inkscape.org/
http://www.xaraxtreme.org/
http://projects.gnome.org/dia/

Some lists of graphics applications..Linux
http://www.linfo.org/software_artists.html
http://www.linuxlinks.com/article/20080 ... phics.html

itsme4401
Level 3
Level 3

Post by itsme4401 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:13 pm

In the dutch Ubuntu-forum I found a reference to Kolourpaint which is in Synaptic. Ubuntu10.4's Synaptic at least.
It seems to look and work pretty like Paint.net.

burjans
Level 2
Level 2

Post by burjans » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:54 pm

I am sorry because I do not see this post before

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=68686

I am agree :wink:
Debian Xfce (Strech) - Pentium IV / 512 MB - RAM

Return to “Suggestions & New Ideas”