Replacing GIMP

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
  • Only post ideas here that are specifically about the Linux Mint distribution or its websites.
  • So that developers and users from any distribution can discuss ideas in one place, post ideas about improving software to the collaboration website for that software instead.
Indigo_myst
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Replacing GIMP

Post by Indigo_myst » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:40 pm

Okay just for my 2 cents worth... - pinta looks interesting... but GIMP is definitely an essential that I think Mint needs to keep. It's so versatile, and while it can appear complex at first, there are so many fantastic tutorials out there on various aspects on it, that any newbie can soon work it like a pro. Even if you only do a few things with it, it doesn't take long to learn how.

I also love how many of the really cool photoshop brushes and styles are also available for GIMP. :mrgreen:

kvv
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kvv » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:51 am

I used to think like that too. But, very recently I realized that GIMP is quite good and easy for simple tasks too, and that's all I do, probably even less than OP.

Forthright
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Forthright » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:30 am

I propose a solution: There is a third way here!

Essentially, right now you have your image viewer (Eye of GNOME) and your editor (Gimp).

Eye of GNOME already allows you to flip or rotate images and save (ie. edit) them.

There's more than enough space to add crop, resize, and a crayon; then you've got the trivial edits down.

Keep Gimp, no new apps added...

Problem solved :)
Forthright's Usability Test: "Can you do that effectively whilst holding a conversation and eating a sandwich?"

donec
Level 4
Level 4

Post by donec » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:50 pm

I hope they do not replace GIMP. The only thing I don't like about GIMP is that you can not hide or minimize the toolbox panel and when you maximize the image window it is behind the tool box.
Don
http://bestwebstop.webcentr.net
Links and accurate information provide the best answer, while garbage in provides garbage out.ImageRegistered Linux user # 449322
Moved up to LM17 KDE

grizwald
Level 3
Level 3

Post by grizwald » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:38 am

I'm not a great fan of GIMP either, tried it a couple of times with indifferent results. Have to go back to Window$ and use a program that came with one of my Canon printers instead. A bit tedious but that is the way it is. For photo manipulation I use Showfoto. I used to use IDA which appears to have vanished.

If the GIMP devotees find it is no longer included in a Mint iso, then just install it like any other program.

From some of the responses one would think using GIMP was about to become illegal.

donec
Level 4
Level 4

Post by donec » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:14 pm

grizwald wrote:From some of the responses one would think using GIMP was about to become illegal.
What makes you think that?
Don
Links and accurate information provide the best answer, while garbage in provides garbage out.ImageRegistered Linux user # 449322
Moved up to LM17 KDE

konjad
Level 4
Level 4

Post by konjad » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:40 pm

Pinta for CD version to save up some space and both Pinta and GIMP for DVD version to have lightweight and easy tool as well as more professional for advanced editing.

donec
Level 4
Level 4

Post by donec » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:04 pm

konjad wrote:Pinta for CD version to save up some space and both Pinta and GIMP for DVD version to have lightweight and easy tool as well as more professional for advanced editing.
Pinta is sorely hurting when it comes to selecting a section of an image and there seem no way to select one part and add another part to the selection or to invert your selection.
Don
Moved up to LM17 KDE

bwat47
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bwat47 » Sun May 01, 2011 2:19 pm

Pinta would be the perfect replacement for gimp. its more user friendly and most users don't need gimps more advanced features. I am suprised I haven't seen any distros using this excellent program as default.

donec
Level 4
Level 4

Post by donec » Sun May 01, 2011 2:49 pm

bwat47 wrote:Pinta would be the perfect replacement for gimp. its more user friendly and most users don't need gimps more advanced features. I am suprised I haven't seen any distros using this excellent program as default.
How can Pinta be a "perfect replacement for gimp" when you can not select the areas you want to work on?
Don
Moved up to LM17 KDE

zengeek
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zengeek » Thu May 12, 2011 12:38 am

Tux Paint could be good for NOOBs....
Mint 15x64 / Arch 64 Encrypted
Member "I HATE NETGEAR" on facebook.

sahilshinesalways
Level 4
Level 4

Post by sahilshinesalways » Thu May 12, 2011 3:43 pm

never the less if gimp remains static in terms of development...it might get dropout near the future.current development pace is awfull.and they dont have a big team members nor contributers...so tough luck gimp
Facebook set to deactivate 83 million fake accounts --->http://technoguru.org/?p=609
registered Linux user #510231 | Registered linux machine #421068

grizwald
Level 3
Level 3

Post by grizwald » Thu May 12, 2011 4:34 pm

I really don't understand why all the fuss.
If for whatever reason GIMP is not included in future releases,
then install it just like any of the thousands of other programs
which are not included in the release.

Too easy.

G.

zengeek
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zengeek » Thu May 12, 2011 7:53 pm

I can understand the natural fight against feature bloat, and the desire to keep the disk image small.
On the other hand, an 825Mb DVD (for Mint 10 -64 gnome) seems like a waste of space. There's plenty of stuff that people think should be on the disk, because they find it useful for their niche.

A simple paint program is aimed at making mint Beginner friendly, which is one of this distro's key marketing features.
I'd like the additional codecs for encoding to divx to be encluded, but I can see that a fair amount of people won't need them. Thus, I don't expect them to be installed. the difference is, I know how to find out what I need, locate and install it. However, someone who's just trying mint out might freak if all they can find is Gimp. adding a few Mb to a DVD image to further the beginner friendly image seems like a GOOD idea to me.

If they were to swap out gimp for a simple program (which I'm not suggesting, but would avoid bloat) Include a link on the welcome screen "Upgrade to gimp" or similar that allows users to upgrade their software to more advanced versions.
Even just providing people with a list of advanced software for various needs and a link to the software manager.

Ideas.
Mint 15x64 / Arch 64 Encrypted
Member "I HATE NETGEAR" on facebook.

dawgdoc
Level 9
Level 9

Post by dawgdoc » Fri May 13, 2011 6:35 am

Indigo_myst wrote:I also love how many of the really cool photoshop brushes and styles are also available for GIMP. :mrgreen:
and if the one you want is not already in GIMP
abr2gbr is a tool for converting Adobe PhotoShop ABR and Corel Paint Shop Pro
JBR brush files to the GIMP GBR format.

SYSTEM: Compaq Presario CQ62 -- Mint 17 Cinnamon
READING: Little Brother by Cory Doctorow

donec
Level 4
Level 4

Post by donec » Fri May 13, 2011 1:54 pm

dawgdoc wrote:
Indigo_myst wrote:I also love how many of the really cool photoshop brushes and styles are also available for GIMP. :mrgreen:
and if the one you want is not already in GIMP
I would use GMIP to create the brush I want.
Don
Moved up to LM17 KDE

DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Post by DrHu » Fri May 13, 2011 2:32 pm

grizwald wrote:I really don't understand why all the fuss. If for whatever reason GIMP is not included in future releases, then install it just like any of the thousands of other programs
which are not included in the release.
I really don't understand why all the fuss..
Yes, It can be easy but the fuss is about changing the system..
--if I really needed a custom system, I would probably create one before installing, or accept that I have to remove and install my own choices.
  • After all, it is also not a custom kernel, running only the devices I need, but a generic one that loads support for devices I don't use..
When an application is ditched form the default install, such as changing rhythmbox for banshee,
  • People who used the other application (rhythmbox) are annoyed
  • People who always wanted the new application (banshee) are annoyed that it wasn't included sooner
  • people who don't like either application are still annoyed
    I think that covers the list of cases of annoyed people..
In Mint 11 switching from Rhythmbox to Banshee and from F-spot to something else i forget at the moment..

Superewza
Level 4
Level 4
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, England, Europe, Earth, ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milky Way, Universe, Multiverse

Post by Superewza » Fri May 13, 2011 3:31 pm

I think Pinta should be the default, GIMP is somewhat daunting to the beginner and is a bit bloated when you just want to do something like crop/resize a picture. Pinta does have some bugs but it overall a lot better for a basic image editor, better than the Paint clones that look dated or childish but still has the power to do some pretty good things, a bit like Paint in Windows 7 (but better, of course ;) ).

Foxy14Girl
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Foxy14Girl » Mon May 23, 2011 2:52 am

onlytheFBI wrote:Hey Guys,I just had a great idea I think. I think that GIMP schould be replaced by a simpler program, sort of like MS paint. Because most users (like me anyway...) Want to do simple things like croping and adding colors. And it's quite confusing to open up what seems to be a simple application to find that it's like Photoshop. Beshides I think that anyone that has a need for GIMP would probally know about it anyway and could install it themselves. Of course I'm not thinking of you more advanced users, that like having this installed by default but I think since this is sopused to be for user frendliness.

simpler program..... man, is it that hard to take some time to sit down and get to know how to use GIMP ?i am 14 yrs. old and i use GIMP with no problems.
as i said before GIMP rocks. i looked at ms paint and it is ok.

but if a child can use GIMP, then adults should have no problem with it

donec
Level 4
Level 4

Post by donec » Mon May 23, 2011 1:57 pm

Foxy14Girl wrote:
onlytheFBI wrote:Hey Guys,I just had a great idea I think. I think that GIMP schould be replaced by a simpler program, sort of like MS paint. Because most users (like me anyway...) Want to do simple things like croping and adding colors. And it's quite confusing to open up what seems to be a simple application to find that it's like Photoshop. Beshides I think that anyone that has a need for GIMP would probally know about it anyway and could install it themselves. Of course I'm not thinking of you more advanced users, that like having this installed by default but I think since this is sopused to be for user frendliness.

simpler program..... man, is it that hard to take some time to sit down and get to know how to use GIMP ?i am 14 yrs. old and i use GIMP with no problems.
as i said before GIMP rocks. i looked at ms paint and it is ok.

but if a child can use GIMP, then adults should have no problem with it
You overlook one small problem. Many adult people learned to use other software and to learn a different interface. To learn GIMP they have to unlearn the old way of doing things. I use GIMP and I am of the older generation (maybe not as adult as I should be :lol: ). I like GIMP but it's interface is not intuitive to someone that has learned to use programs for Windows which has everything in one window and multiple toolbars. From what I hear a future GIMP may become packaged so the interface is all one window. If this happens and is stable then it will make it more comfortable for users that learned to use graphics programs from Windows. With that said IMO GIMP is much easier to use and learn than Adobe Photo Shop and almost as easy as PaintShop Pro.
Don
Moved up to LM17 KDE

Return to “Suggestions & New Ideas”