Booting the live DVD shouldn't set the clock to UTC

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
  • Only post ideas here that are specifically about the Linux Mint distribution or its websites.
  • So that developers and users from any distribution can discuss ideas in one place, post ideas about improving software to the collaboration website for that software instead.
plmanser
Level 1
Level 1

Booting the live DVD shouldn't set the clock to UTC

Post by plmanser »

The biggest barrier to installing Mint is that I need an extra disk drive to install it to, so I use the live DVD.

The biggest problem with booting the live DVD is that it sets the system clock to UTC, because there is no configured time zone.

My first thought about it was to fix it to simply not set the system clock, or alternatively to request the correct time zone before doing son

A more elegant solution that would really set the live Mint environment apart and make it much more useful would be a utility set up in the live environment to save the ENTIRE live environment as currently customized to a new ISO file which can be written to a new DVD.

Then the user can customize the time zone, paper size, screen resolution, even update some packages and install some extras, and when everything is the way you want it, write out a new ISO of that customized environment, and burn a new live DVD.

Then presto, a live DVD customized with all the user's preferences, even with some documents the user wants to have available.

This would significantly reduce the disadvantage of not having a spare boot partition to install the live DVD to.

An alternative, if you really want the live DVD users to have to customize the local settings every time they boot would be to automatically set regional defaults such as paper size, language, and date and currency formats when the user clicks on the world map to select his time zone (possibly with a check box to override the feature).
daquirm
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Booting the live DVD shouldn't set the clock to UTC

Post by daquirm »

Solved that by booting via USB with persistent file, the benefit of it migth be less acoustic noise and faster boot times. Saving the whole live environment for the use somewhere else is done by copying the whole partition via partimage or just by backing up the casper-rw file. But still I agree with you such utility will be nice because of ease of use. But have you tried ubuntu customization kit? It does almost what you want.
plmanser
Level 1
Level 1

Post by plmanser »

I think however, a non-techie should be able to do it via an obvious method. The whole point of Mint is supposedly to make Linux user-friendly and elegant.
plmanser
Level 1
Level 1

Post by plmanser »

Who, outside the UK would want the computer's clock set to Grenwich mean time when they boot Linux Mint?

Okay, possibly somebody somewhere, but I don't personally know anybody.

As far as I can see, setting the computer's clock without first configuring what time zone to set it by is a bug, not a feature.
LarryP
Level 3
Level 3

Post by LarryP »

Not trying to be mean here but spending $20 us on a 8 gig usb drive would solve all the things you mentioned.
TANSTAAFL There ain't no such thing as a free lunch
plmanser
Level 1
Level 1

Post by plmanser »

I still think that the first (or possibly second) thing EACH new user notices when trying out a new OS shouldn't be "Oh it's screwed up the computer's clock! How do I fix that?"!

And if you REALLY want to make that problem for each person who boots the live CD/DVD outside of the UK, then you should make it REALLY simple for them to fix it permanently.

Return to “Suggestions & New Ideas”