64 bit Version

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
  • Only post ideas here that are specifically about the Linux Mint distribution or its websites.
  • So that developers and users from any distribution can discuss ideas in one place, post ideas about improving software to the collaboration website for that software instead.
nibsa1242
Level 1
Level 1

64 bit Version

Post by nibsa1242 »

i386 is old. A version optimized for i686 or x86-64 would be nice.

manishk
Level 3
Level 3

Post by manishk »

I agree to that...but the problem is that not many packages are available, that are for 64-bit.

Re: 64 bit Version

Post by Guest »

nibsa1242 wrote:i386 is old. A version optimized for i686 or x86-64 would be nice.

sundayrefugee
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sundayrefugee »

nibsa1242 wrote:i386 is old. A version optimized for i686 or x86-64 would be nice.
What kind of benefits do you expect to achieve from an i686 or x86-64 kernel?

EnigMattic

Post by EnigMattic »

Hey
I'm an Ubuntu user and was strongly considering switching to Mint. The lack of a 64-bit version put me off completely; why you ask? Because I have 4GB of RAM... i386 only supports 3GB. :(
I'll keep my eye out for a 64-bit version in the future, but 'til then I'll stick with Ubuntu.

SkinnyJ

Post by SkinnyJ »

EnigMattic wrote:Hey
I'm an Ubuntu user and was strongly considering switching to Mint. The lack of a 64-bit version put me off completely; why you ask? Because I have 4GB of RAM... i386 only supports 3GB. :(
I'll keep my eye out for a 64-bit version in the future, but 'til then I'll stick with Ubuntu.
Ditto here. I really would rather use Mint, but I like being able to address all of my 4GB of RAM on my home system. I do use Mint at work with only 1GB of RAM, so please consider kicking out a 64-bit version sometime (maybe Version 5?).

Also, I enjoyed the interview with Clement on the Linux Action Show. I hope that gets more users to come and check out the stellar work being done here.

maxman

Post by maxman »

A 64bit version of Mint would be super cool! I have 4GB of RAM but I can only address 3 Gigs with the 32bit vesrion.

valdir

Post by valdir »

I already have Mint on my desktop. Nice distro. But we have to go ahead, and 64bit is nowadays. 32 bit is past.

Regards

lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lakehousetech »

Saying 64 bit is 'nowadays' is a little premature. Even though processors are available along with 64 bit operating systems, the number of applications available for the desktop user is minimal. Name something you use day to day that requires access to your 4 GB of RAM? Unless you are using intense scientific/engineering applications you won't need 64 bit. I would like to see a 64 bit version in the future when more applications are available that take advantage of the additional registers, but for now this area of computing is still in transition. Keep your eyes peeled. Clem and the development group work very hard on a volunteer basis to make this operating system so great. I have read in previous posts regarding a 64 bit release that it has been set aside until after the release of Mint 5.0. Once that it released it has been said that focus will be made on a 64 bit version. Don't quote me on that, but I did read that here in the forums.

valdir

Post by valdir »

"Name something you use day to day that requires access to your 4 GB of RAM?"
Hi,

I'm not concerned just about memory usage. I believe 64 bit processors are related also to processing speed.
And, about the missing software for 64bit, if we don't use, nobody will develop.

Regards

lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lakehousetech »

64 bit processors are related to processing power, but like I said before you only use those extra registers when you are in a 64 bit OS using 64 apps. You can compare benchmarks and see for yourself. You won't have a significant performance difference running 32 bit apps in a 64 bit environment. The Mint team will undoubtedly release a 64 bit version when they are ready. Sometimes you have to wait for a good thing.

grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Post by grimdestripador »

Switch to 64 bit when ubuntu officially supports it in their LTS mirrors.
...and if they already do, wait till it actually works.

Remember I use mint because:
1) its straight forward, productive, and flawless once configured
2) It has realplayer, flash and does not nag me about mp3s not being able to write id3 tags cause some random lib is not installed(referring to 64bit compatibility))
3) The package.debs' available from a local ubuntu mirror at my local university campus are fast. And ubuntu has a lot of packages available. Thus making my scientific computing more real, since I have choice of software.

sundayrefugee
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sundayrefugee »

@Enigmatic - You know that means that only any single process can access that much RAM? Anyway - all you have to do is compile a kernel with PAE - physical adress extensions. Kernel compiling is really easy, and the 2.6.22 Ubuntu series are dogs anyway - you'd be doing yourself a favor ;-)

@Lakehouse - It depends on how you define 64 bit applications. Source code compiled in 64 bit compilers? Or code written to the specific advantages, of, say, the extra C2D registers, SSE3 and 4, the new FPU's etc? For code simply compiled to 64-bit, there's nearly as much as 32 bit.

For Ubuntu, it's almost the *exact* same number. And, yes, the LTS 6.06 has a superb 64 bit version, still supported today, and the upcoming Hardy will also. In the meantime, 64 bit apps have caught up, and the total repo count is almost identical ;)

@ The rest: That being said, there still isn't much of a compelling reason for the average Ubuntu/Mintish user to use it. If you look really hard, you may notice a very slight snappiness. But you'd have to be looking for it. If you do large multimedia work, although 64 bit OSs normally net you about a 10% increase in encoding speed, in Ubuntu (and presumably Mint) at this time, it's actually *slower* (this is counter intuitive, and nobody quite seems to know why...). If you do extremely large database work, say, mapping the human genome or nuclear explosion simulations, or run VERY large corporate servers, you can see true *exponential* perfomane increases. But we're talking about superscalared PowerPC chips, usually. As in 5-10,000 of them in one gigantic computer, running Linux.

For emailing, browsing, playing Alien Arena, and ripping CD's in k3b, you aren't likely to notice any difference, at least at this time. And no, wether you use it or not at home really isn't going to speed up it's arrival. Although I like 64 bit, and am really excited for the *real* 64-bit OS revolution to happen, it's not here at the time, really. It's only real use right now is ePeen ;)

grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Post by grimdestripador »

Although I like 64 bit, and am really excited for the *real* 64-bit OS revolution to happen, it's not here at the time, really.
I agree that it is not enough just to compile into 64 bit; the sources needs some optimized 64 bit addressing in its code.

lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lakehousetech »

Sundayrefugee - Thanks for backing me up on this for the most part. I was trying not to go to much into specifics. Either way most users will not take advantage of 64 computing for some time in the case of normal desktop users. Thanks.

sharat87

Post by sharat87 »

This is the first time I came across this distribution. I too have a 64-bit PC. But it seems like there is no 64bit version of Mint, so is it possible for me to install the 32bit version?

I had past experinces with suse, fedora and ubuntu. The 32bit versions of all three of them refused to boot even from live cd. I had to use 64bit versions. So, before trying with mint, I want to know if it will work on my computer.

Intel Pentium D
RAM 1.5 Gigs

valdir

Post by valdir »

sharat87 wrote:This is the first time I came across this distribution. I too have a 64-bit PC. But it seems like there is no 64bit version of Mint, so is it possible for me to install the 32bit version?

I had past experinces with suse, fedora and ubuntu. The 32bit versions of all three of them refused to boot even from live cd. I had to use 64bit versions. So, before trying with mint, I want to know if it will work on my computer.

Intel Pentium D
RAM 1.5 Gigs
Yes, you can install the 32 bit version of any distro in your 64 bit computer.

Regards

web.serf

Post by web.serf »

I agree this isn't a big deal in the short term. Most users will get by just fine with 32-bits. But I would hope a 64-bit version is in Mint's long term vision. If there isn't 64-bit in the next year or two, Mint is going to be in big trouble. :oops:

sundayrefugee
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sundayrefugee »

web.serf wrote:I agree this isn't a big deal in the short term. Most users will get by just fine with 32-bits. But I would hope a 64-bit version is in Mint's long term vision. If there isn't 64-bit in the next year or two, Mint is going to be in big trouble. :oops:
I would hope 64 bits is in *every* distro's long-term plans. If they ever plan to progress to kernel 2.6.25, it's going to *have* to be. I agree that it's not necessary right now, but it will be the standard at some point in the future, and 32-bit will be as useful as 16 bit is today. I don't think that's in the next year or two, myself (just my personal opinion), but it's an inevitability. I think 64-bit computing will happen concurrently (and because of) 3 things: a real, full, 64-bit Sun Java, Flash player in 64 bit, and 64 bit native games ;-) These will be the sparks that light the torches alot of us are carrying in our boxes. With these, 64-bit computing will go from hobbyist to landslide ;-)

SkinnyJ

Post by SkinnyJ »

"Name something you use day to day that requires access to your 4 GB of RAM?" - lakehousetech

VirtualBox. I'm studying for the MCSE and Linux+ so I've set up a virtual network with a number of servers and clients. Even if I limit the RAM per machine, they chew up a bunch of RAM.

True, this isn't a 64 bit program, but being able to eek out a few more VMs would be nice. Yeah, Ubuntu has a 64 bit version, but Mint is so much better.

Return to “Suggestions & New Ideas”