Working with PackageKit

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
  • Only post ideas here that are specifically about the Linux Mint distribution or its websites.
  • So that developers and users from any distribution can discuss ideas in one place, post ideas about improving software to the collaboration website for that software instead.
BlahBlah_X
Level 4
Level 4

Working with PackageKit

Post by BlahBlah_X » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:22 pm

Guys, take a look at this: http://www.packagekit.org (pretty nifty, huh?).

PackageKit is a software management tool that picks up where SMART left off (uniting software management across different platforms). It uses a lot of neat tools to make managing software easier.

I know a lot of you are going to say: Synaptic gets the job done and is better. Why use PackageKit?

- It is a step towards uniting software installation methods across platforms, a long time goal of linux (or at least many users of it)

- Ubuntu is leaning towards its inclusion

- It has tons of cool features- including a tool called PolicyKit that allows administrators to customize/enable software privileges to NORMAL USERS, great commandline options, a friendly GUI written in GTK2, very active development, etc...

- It is backed by a daemon that is only run when the program is opens, reducing bloat and random hogging of resources

- the cool factor- people will say: hey mint is using that new, cutting edge PackageKit thing I've been wanting to try out!

I do think this is not appropriate for inclusion in Darnya due to version 1.0 being still in development, instead I would love to see its inclusion in the 4.1 or 4.2 version of the main edition.

dracorX
Level 3
Level 3

second that

Post by dracorX » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:28 am

I second that one should check that for inclusion...

BlahBlah_X
Level 4
Level 4

Post by BlahBlah_X » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:12 pm

I'd really like to see some more comments on this.

Return to “Suggestions & New Ideas”