A Mint Application Panel/Taskbar

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
  • Only post ideas here that are specifically about the Linux Mint distribution or its websites.
  • So that developers and users from any distribution can discuss ideas in one place, post ideas about improving software to the collaboration website for that software instead.
Jix
Level 2
Level 2

A Mint Application Panel/Taskbar

Post by Jix »

So Mint will continue using Gnome 2, huh? It seems like most of the fuss is over the Unity/Gnome 3/Gnome 2 application panel and taskbar, not the actual environment. AWN, Docky, Cairo are pretty much the same thing (the Mac look), so I guess there is a 4th option out there, but why doesn't Mint simply create its own applications panel/taskbar? If you do, most people will be content with whatever environment you decide to use as long as the apps panel is well-liked. And on a related note, why is it so hard for the Linux community to come up with a few more unique panels? Is creativity the stumbling block?
MaddogF16

Re: A Mint Application Panel/Taskbar

Post by MaddogF16 »

I for one am sick of all the fuss in the Linux world over looks in general, what is needed more is development focus and monies to go to better applications. Once the Linux community develops apps that are on par or better than the proprietary options then people won't have as much issue with the switch (ie: look at Androids success). All this fuss about looks is soooo frustrating and a total waste of mind power.
Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Habitual »

Jix wrote:...why is it so hard for the Linux community to come up with a few more unique panels?
Because the real community is focused on making what we have more usable, while neophytes just piss and moan about cosmetics.
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

+1 Maddog's sentiments.

I don't fixate on eye candy. I want stability, speed and ease of use. Though the FOSS community already has many apps that are on par or better than big $$$ proprietary stuff.

Linux vs M$ for example. :D

OP, jmo ... Perhaps the Mint developers don't want to reinvent the wheel. It'd be foolish and a waste of their time and energy. When so many great DE's are available for the taking/using.
And on a related note, why is it so hard for the Linux community to come up with a few more unique panels? Is creativity the stumbling block?
Also jmo ( just my opinion), but a statement like that shows how lil you must know about linux. The developers, the founders and the people who have created and helped push linux forward all these years are tech geniuses and world class developers with no equals. However many a linux newb ... isn't. :D

It's like someone taking a hammer and proceeding to bash themselves in the head with it. Cause they don't know how to use it and then sayin summin like. ... DARN, THIS HAMMER IS NO GOOD !

Also a few more in linux ? For real ? Linux already has a mind numbing selection of so much to choose from. The last thing it needs is a few more to throw on the pile. Better ? Certainly ... Improved ? Where poss, hopefully. ... A few more ? No thanks.
donec
Level 4
Level 4

Post by donec »

Even though I like Eye Candy, I feel it would not be in the best interest of Mint to create a Mint panel/taskbar application. Because it would take focus away from what Mint is about. Panel/taskbar look is an extremely small part of any OS (operating system). It is much more important and IMO much better that Mint continue improving Mint in the manner they are currently going. If any one wants more Eye Candy or just different a panel/taskbar then they can create one themselves and in doing so help all the Linux community providing choice to all. Isn't that one of the main points of Linux?
Don
http://bestwebstop.webcentr.net
Links and accurate information provide the best answer, while garbage in provides garbage out.ImageRegistered Linux user # 449322
Moved up to LM17 KDE
Jix
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Jix »

I always thought Mint's goal was to make current Linux operating systems more user-friendly and functional, not to program them from scratch, so stability is mostly in the hands of Ubuntu, Debian, etc. Mint Menu is a perfect example of what I mean. People install Mint Menu in Ubuntu and other distros, so I think it would make perfect sense to put some focus on a Minty Panel/Taskbar. It would be another ambassador and actually help spread awareness of this fine distro.

Return to “Suggestions & New Ideas”