Linux Mint and Unity? :)

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
Nikolai_D

Linux Mint and Unity? :)

Post by Nikolai_D »

Hi guys and girls,
Ladies and gentleman,

I was wondering what about Linux Mint version with Unity as the DE?
I saw that Linux Mint has a lot of versions. Isn't one more with Unity something interesting?
Maybe even based on Fedora? ;) What about that?

p.s. I just happen to use Fuduntu for some time already. And i pretty like Unity from the first day it appeared. :)

Tell me what do you think,
Sincerely yours,
Nikolai
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Linux Mint and Unity? :)

Post by AlbertP »

You can install Unity from Software Manager in Linux Mint 11.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
froyoshark

Post by froyoshark »

It doesn't work for me. Unity 2d works though. I'm using Linux Mint 11 RC.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

To help with Unity 3D, we need to know your type of graphics card.
You can find it using this terminal command:

Code: Select all

inxi -G
For NVidia you need to install one of the drivers in the menu > Administration > Additional Drivers.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
EnthusOcn

Post by EnthusOcn »

AlbertP wrote:You can install Unity from Software Manager in Linux Mint 11.
Does this work with Linux Mint Debian? I'm considering installing LMDE on my new laptop, and would love to have Unity on there as an option.
pan

Post by pan »

Nikolai_D wrote:...Maybe even based on Fedora? ;) What about that?...
Oh god I hope not :-)
eric k

Post by eric k »

pan wrote:
Nikolai_D wrote:...Maybe even based on Fedora? ;) What about that?...
Oh god I hope not :-)
+1

Heck, why not Linux Mint Windows Edition while we're at it? I mean, there's already a theme called "Redmond".... :lol:
ThistleWeb

Post by ThistleWeb »

The Mint team is relatively small, do we really need yet another edition when it's very easy to just apt-get install it in the Ubuntu based version? It's arguable that there are too many editions as it is, let alone adding another one for a niche subset of users who would be just as happily served on Ubuntu.
japan1

Post by japan1 »

It only takes 30 seconds to install Unity on Mint, or alternatively, it only takes 30 seconds to install Mint's themes and icons on Ubuntu :)

Maybe an option on the welcome screen asking if the user would like Unity would be better than another edition.
RedLeg

Post by RedLeg »

ThistleWeb wrote:The Mint team is relatively small, do we really need yet another edition when it's very easy to just apt-get install it in the Ubuntu based version? It's arguable that there are too many editions as it is, let alone adding another one for a niche subset of users who would be just as happily served on Ubuntu.
Then why not as an option at the log in screen? Installing it from the repositories isn't as simple as pressing a button and waiting 30 seconds. Its functionality is dependent on what packages you choose (or don't choose), so having all the kinks ironed out by offering it as part of the installation allows users to take advantage of Unity's strong points (and their are many). There would not be any new release, it could just be part of the flagship LM.

Desktops are changing. Unity is in its infancy, yet, has enormous potential. The Mint community shouldn't overlook these points.
ThistleWeb

Post by ThistleWeb »

RedLeg wrote:
ThistleWeb wrote:The Mint team is relatively small, do we really need yet another edition when it's very easy to just apt-get install it in the Ubuntu based version? It's arguable that there are too many editions as it is, let alone adding another one for a niche subset of users who would be just as happily served on Ubuntu.
Then why not as an option at the log in screen? Installing it from the repositories isn't as simple as pressing a button and waiting 30 seconds. Its functionality is dependent on what packages you choose (or don't choose), so having all the kinks ironed out by offering it as part of the installation allows users to take advantage of Unity's strong points (and their are many). There would not be any new release, it could just be part of the flagship LM.

Desktops are changing. Unity is in its infancy, yet, has enormous potential. The Mint community shouldn't overlook these points.
Why not have it as an option could apply to EVERY DE & WM. Distros used to come on multiple CDs so you could choose at install time what DE or WM combo you wanted, as well as what suites of applications you want. Debian still does, it's 26 CDs at the last count, or 6 DVDs. The more you cram into an image, the more you force it to be a DVD, which means a larger download and limits some people from using it. Some don't have DVD burners, or can't boot from the USB.

Ubuntu 11.04 is the only release with Gnome 2 & Unity, from 11.10 onwards there's only Unity. Even Ubuntu aren't trying to offer Gnome 3 & Unity on a CD image, and have no plans to.
RedLeg

Post by RedLeg »

ThistleWeb wrote:
Why not have it as an option could apply to EVERY DE & WM. Distros used to come on multiple CDs so you could choose at install time what DE or WM combo you wanted, as well as what suites of applications you want. Debian still does, it's 26 CDs at the last count, or 6 DVDs. The more you cram into an image, the more you force it to be a DVD, which means a larger download and limits some people from using it. Some don't have DVD burners, or can't boot from the USB.

Ubuntu 11.04 is the only release with Gnome 2 & Unity, from 11.10 onwards there's only Unity. Even Ubuntu aren't trying to offer Gnome 3 & Unity on a CD image, and have no plans to.
I think you are over-generalizing the point. We are talking about Mint and how its desktop will look in the future. As you have said, the LM team is relatively small and will therefore have to rely on other projects for their DE's. If the DE's are changing, Mint will have to change. Unity is a viable, yet very juvenile, desktop and should be given serious consideration. Given a desire for the status quo, it would be wise to implement change incrementally rather than stagnate. Unity can only improve if we influence its development.

As far as "cramming into an image," it does not require huge amounts of space. Besides, LinuxMint Main Edition already comes as a DVD for the version with codecs, would you argue that the LM team is disenfranchising those without DVD burners?
Nikolai_D

Post by Nikolai_D »

I wish i had an option of pushing a button on Fedora and getting Unity installed. As it is possible on Mint. :) (i liked Ubutnu but i switched to Fedora because its testing base for CentOS, and i am IT professional who runs some servers and CentOS (now more Scientific i guess) is the best option imho.)

Hmm, okay, as far as i know Mint is mainly based on Ubuntu. What is going to happen with Mint when Ubuntu switches completely to Unity? I expect that Mint will just use Unity same way Ubuntu does. And the best part about it is Mint will do nice polishing of Unity. And thats exactly what it needs. :)

I am also wondering related to next gui, and overall experience, what do you think about picking some ideas here?:
http://www.techdrivein.com/2011/04/elem ... e-few.html

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”