Adobe Air

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
Nexus

Adobe Air

Post by Nexus »

We already get Adobe Flash plugins installed by default, is it possible for us to get Adobe Air as well in future Mint Versions. There are a few great popular apps out there that require it such as Destroy Twitter, and friendfeed.

Since Gwibber isn't installed by default, and you have to repack Adobe Air for 64 bit systems, is it possible to have it come as a system pre-install. This opens up a way for us to replace gwibber, with a better client of our choice much quicker, not to mention the other applications available that use Adobe Air, all without having to do a bit of "Techie" work for those that use 64bit releases, and in a simpler fashion for everyone.
ThistleWeb

Re: Adobe Air

Post by ThistleWeb »

Adobe just abandoned Air for Linux, and the resulting outcry was silence. It seems very few people actually used it while Adobe did support it, none batted an eyelid when Adobe stopped. Most Linux people were surprised by the news only because we'd forgotten there WAS AIR for Linux. If all that is accurate, why would any distro include something by default that's not only closed, but that nobody uses and has been abandoned by the only company who can support it?
karashata

Post by karashata »

Adobe AIR 2.6 for Linux is still available for download, and it's not *too* difficult to install on 64-bit systems. I wrote a how-to here that should (hopefully) be comprehensive and understandable enough for most people...

That said, it won't do us much good if AIR for Linux is no longer maintained, as AIR continues development and evolution for other platforms and applications using AIR evolve to take advantage of new features and changes, we'll lose our ability to use those apps...

Anyway, as ThistleWeb already said, it's very unlikely we'll ever see AIR as part of a default installation, especially if Adobe's already abandoned it.

I wonder if it's too late to start crying out, this is the first I've even heard of AIR for Linux being dropped...

EDIT: How odd, I just now received a notification of an update to Adobe AIR, so perhaps support isn't completely abandoned yet...
Nexus

Post by Nexus »

Yea I didn't know Adobe was dropping support for it, I think Air is a great concept though, it makes deployment of cross-platform software easier. I'm going to back up the 64-bit .deb I built for when Mint Updates, I'll keep installing it until well until it doesn't work anymore :P
karashata

Post by karashata »

I have to agree with you there. I plan on holding onto my 64-bit .deb as well, I've already had to rebuild it a few times when I had to reinstall for various reasons and after the last time I got smart and made a backup of it just in case.
rfbennett1

Post by rfbennett1 »

If adobe has stopped AIR then what will happen to my BBC Iplayer? I need AIR for iPlayer!!!! :x :x :x
karashata

Post by karashata »

You can still download the .deb for AIR here (for now anyway). I'd recommend grabbing it while it's still available and making a backup of it somewhere so you'll have it if Adobe ever takes it off their site. Of course, that will only hold you over until AIR evolves past what it is currently and the various AIR applications evolve to include any new features added...

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”